IRS differential heat shield

SlowSVT

Established Member
After installing my IRS I was evaluating how I was going to set-up my diff oil cooler. The Tilton pump was going where the evap canister was but the HE itself presented some challenges as there was not much room for one behind the fuel tank where there is 0 airflow. Looking at the catback exhaust proximity to the differential and how both pipes cradled the housing. What it resembled was 2 fat heat emitters had me thinking about a different approach to keeping the diff cool. since I already finned the cover why not adopt a passive cooling system over an active system (pump/HE) which is always more desirable being simpler, lighter, more reliable and won't sap the alternator for more power so I came up with a plan to insulate the top half of the portion of the catback that surrounds the diff housing.

I purchased a 3" dia. 180 degree mandrel bend stainless steel tube from Performance Tube Service in Irwindale and sliced it right down the middle and with is what I ended up with.

Insulated%20Catback%2026_zpsg8kanwjx.jpg

I wanted a way to keep this portion of the tube cool so I only insulating the top half of the pipe and I slit it into 2 sections to prevent the pipe from distorting from having such a long section of pipe welded over the existing pipe causing some heat distortion which may cause the tail pipe to move where it exits the exhaust cutout in the body work. The holes are to allow for heat that gets trapped to escape.

Insulated%20Catback%2019_zpscma7fneq.jpg

Here you can see the 3/16" risers welded to the pipe to space the insulator off the pipe

Insulated%20Catback%2024_zps1txrmfbf.jpg

I polished the inside of the shrouds to reflect the IR heat radiating off the pipe

Insulated%20Catback%2022_zpsmowioteb.jpg

After welding

Insulated%20Catback%2018_zpsvgultpn2.jpg

Insulated%20Catback%2014_zpswgmw4bnm.jpg

Finished results

Insulated%20Catback%203_zpsmhfct9bq.jpg

Insulated%20Catback%206_zpsopugnrxq.jpg

The insulating material is 1/4" thick ceramic fiber sheet from Heatshield Products. I was going to rivet it on but decided to use SS CV joint boot straps instead.

Insulated%20Catback%202_zpsc0m1ad70.jpg

clearance check

Insulated%20Catback%2011_zpss0vxghip.jpg

Here's a bottom shot which is off center because I had to lay my camera phone on the floor and could see the view finder

Insulated%20Catback%2012_zpsydegilap.jpg

These heat shields should reduce the IR radiation off the exhaust the differential housing is exposed to quite substantially and will probably drop the diff temps down 5-10 degrees. not huge but I should help the finned rear cover shed the heat more effectively not having to deal with the exhaust heat.

:rockon:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I think you should sell a "kit" ,with instructions.
And if the exposed side was also polished, it would blend with those that have a fully polished.

SlowSVT

Established Member
looks good. How about ceramic coating the pipes that go under the diff? That should help quite a bit too

I'm not so sure about that. Getting any kind of actual test data on how effective ceramic coating is at reducing radiated and conducted emissions is hard to come by. The coating is very thin, I'm sure it sends more heat out the pipe but something tells me not by much. Stainless steel is not exactly a great heat conductor either. Great coating for headers though, the stuff is though as nails.

starnsey

Established Member
Gahdang man you do some incredible little projects that almost no one else would even think about. Good work. Not only good ideas but quality fabrication.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Gahdang man you do some incredible little projects that almost no one else would even think about. Good work. Not only good ideas but quality fabrication.

The problem with my "little projects" are there too damn many of them! LOL :)

4601S/C

Established Member
I love reading these threads you make, not just for the ideas, but to see your quality worksmanship! Great job with the heat shields:coolman:!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words

I was crawling under the car last night and took a few shots from the front

Insulated%20catback%2028_zpso6lqpvu1.jpg

Insulated%20catback%2030_zpstxjxmxwq.jpg

Insulated%20catback%2029_zpsbq7y15np.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
A perfect counterpoint to the work already done on the IRS.

It looks like something you would see under a McLaren. I sure do appreciate the little details. The stainless standoffs and the stainless clamp rings both look like they were designed by an F-1 race shop.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Great job on the fab work. I think it will help quite a bit. I made a shield and added it to the diffuser I make to keep the right exhaust pipe from melting the plastic shield on the gas tank. My exhaust is the same as yours and after a open track weekend it melted the gas tank plastic shield near the front on the right side. You have a great idea welding on the larger pipe. Congrats.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Craftsmanship is spot on.

Can you take a low rear shot? Curious how this looks from the back. My buddy road races his 01 and his diff cooler setup looks killer from behind.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Craftsmanship is spot on.

Can you take a low rear shot? Curious how this looks from the back. My buddy road races his 01 and his diff cooler setup looks killer from behind.

I don't have a shot from the rear of the car what I can say is you can see the shields somewhat as it wraps around the bend of the pipe. Extending the shroud around the bend is not absolutely necessary but it does shield the rear A-arm bushings and the fuel tank. If someone wanted to do this but maintain a cleaner look under the car the shields can terminate before the bends then you won't see it.

I dug-up a photo of my finned diff before I pitted the surface with coarse sandblast that looks pretty cool with a brushed aluminum finish :coolman:

8.8%20FRP%20diff%20cover%206_zpszxwyxcv0.jpg

The shields will make the cooling fins more efficient keeping the IR off the diff.

The Cobra's getting flat bedded to the body shop for paint today hopefully I'll have it back within a month or so. This project is starting to pick-up steam and is going to get very interesting when I get it back :)

Tractionless1

Established Member
Is it even necessary with all the air moving under the car and the pipes being "so far" away? If not it seems you'll also need to block the engine and trans. heat from being blown backward onto it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is it even necessary with all the air moving under the car and the pipes being "so far" away? If not it seems you'll also need to block the engine and trans. heat from being blown backward onto it.

Using the tern "necessary" to describe a cooling depends on ones perspective. To a drag racer the answer would be a flat out "NO"! I would say for a road racer it's "highly desirable". For a street car it's a nice thing to have.

This has nothing to do with moving air, IR will make a "B" line to the diff in a hurricane and is surrounded by 2 vary large and efficient radiators.

Users who are viewing this thread