Is Anyone Doing Any This?

maoun

Established Member
trust me, the vibrations are pretty stinkin minimal.....you're especially fine if you use a laptop hard drive

but seriously, you put YOURSELF in the car...the vibrations can't be that bad, right?
:)

m.

Pyro

Established Member
I'm old school...I'm still trying to figure out how to get Coleco (sp?)Football to show up on my Predator! For you younger guys, thats the oldschool version of gameboy that only played football using dots as players and looked a lot like the Predator.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
I have that game. Mattel is selling them again at Target. for $12!

WRONG!!!! Mattel had the white one. Coleco had the tan-ish colored one that was a bit more expensive. C'mon, get your 70's games right!! On the other hand, it's sick that I know exactly what you are talking about and you're right, it looks like the Predator too !:??:

coleman

Established Member
i won't be happy unless i can play Mortal Kombat in my car using MAME during rush hour!

maoun

Established Member
lol...i have a CD with mame and about 2,000 games man :) gotta love that shit.
m.

coleman

Established Member
all we would need is the touch screen to start with ... it'll take a while to get basic stuff working with that touch-screen interface.

Vaelin

Established Member
Actually, you could write a simple interface that would allow you to execute a set amount of functions. A simple VB, java or heck, even a basic html page could work easily to launch it. Then all you would need to do is set up group policies (assuming you're using win2k/xp), place the interface in the startup group, and autologin as the 'car' account.

Then, if you need to troubleshoot, just reboot with a keyboard & mouse plugged in, hold down shift, and viola.. you're back into the system. Otherwise you can lock it down pretty well and make it as nice looking as you want.

Hmm.. ideas ideas.. too bad I'd rather spend the cash on a KB or something ;)

If someone bothered to create a whole system around this, I think there would be some resale value there.. plus it wouldn't only be limited to our Cobras.. just about any car could install it.

Last edited:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Whitten
I know that I may be a downer here but are the cpu's vibration resistant? Will they withstand that rigors of day to day driving, hard driving, and so on? Also what about heat? Sorry I am very interested I would just be interested to find out if it would be plausible without having to buy a new hard drive every several months.

You are not playing the downer; you raise valid issues. However, these systems are designed for this type of application. They are what is termed "semi-ruggedized", meaning that they are resistant to environmental influences like vibration and heat. "Ruggedized" systems are, primarily, used in military applications.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Vaelin
Actually, you could write a simple interface that would allow you to execute a set amount of functions. A simple VB, java or heck, even a basic html page could work easily to launch it. Then all you would need to do is set up group policies (assuming you're using win2k/xp), place the interface in the startup group, and autologin as the 'car' account.

Then, if you need to troubleshoot, just reboot with a keyboard & mouse plugged in, hold down shift, and viola.. you're back into the system. Otherwise you can lock it down pretty well and make it as nice looking as you want.

Hmm.. ideas ideas.. too bad I'd rather spend the cash on a KB or something ;)

If someone bothered to create a whole system around this, I think there would be some resale value there.. plus it wouldn't only be limited to our Cobras.. just about any car could install it.

You have good ideas. :beer:

One of my companies "area of expertise" is Sensor Systems Integration and Development. We work with military weapons systems, as well as, commercial applications We specialize in this type of application; we are looking at this very seriously.:-D

maoun

Established Member
you don't wanna really be running FM signals thru a computer...very good at f-in them up.....especially a small computer like a laptop or mini form factor

m.

coleman

Established Member
i was thinking of just supplementing what i currently have & just use the AUX in feature (that i have with that device i installed).

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Thnaks for the info Silver Snake, that was just the answer that I was looking for.

lethal

Established Member
It's actually better now, added a shuttle motherboard with a 2.0 ghz Celeron, 512 MB ram, 20 gig drive, dvd-rom, loaded it up with all my mp3's so it doubles as a juke box during a party, etc.

All my friends dig it, and I totally jones if I can't play Gauntlet every once in a while. When I finished it, we borke it in with a ten hour marathon... Track & Field was never better IMHO.

John

Users who are viewing this thread