Is Anyone Doing Any This?

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
you have too much time on your hands :)

I used too, for sure, took a month or so to do it, and I didn't even make it as big as I wanted. If I had more time and didn't find the doner cabinet, I would have built a four player version with a 25" monitor. My nephew wants this one, so perhaps he can help me build a bigger one. I have to wait until I move, this one barely fits through the door.

John

Yeah, its true, I've modified everything I've ever bought.... my car, my Tivo, my RC heli's and trucks.... its a real sickness.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
I've got something for you guys. I'm waiting on a screen from Hong Kong. Don't buy the Xenarc screen. Their best screen is only 260 nits which can't be seen in sun light. Wait for the Lilliput screen which is 400 nits which can be seen in direct sunlight. I built a custom plexiglass case for a computer that I built out of spare parts. It's going to be a sweet install so I'll post pics when my screen comes in.

Also check out http://www.mediaengine.org/index.php for a applications program. I built a custom Terminator Cobra skin if you guys want it send me a pm.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by hssss03
...buy the Xenarc screen. Their best screen is only 260 nits which can't be seen in sun light. Wait for the Lilliput screen which is 400 nits which can be seen in direct sunlight. ...

The Lilliput monitors are good; but they don't fit my application. I need a touch screen. Lilliput does not make one, yet.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
No problem, if you have any more questions let me know. I've been doing a ton of research on this for the past couple of months. I've customized every part of this project down to an led back lit keyboard. I have to say, sonic blue is my color. :beer: :beer:

coleman

Established Member
hssss03, if you don't mind, post what you have so we can review it. it sounds like you know more than most of us, but maybe we can give a little constructive criticism or at least learn from you :thumbsup:

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
I've got all the pieces completed 'cept the screen which is due to be in my hands in about 2 weeks. Here is an overview.

System:

P4 2 ghz, 256mb, Radeon 9500. Yes very over-kill, but I had the extra computer parts laying around so I just used them. I built a custom plexiglass case that contains mobo, power supply, and hard drive. I put a power switch on the front and then tapped the power and reset button and put male plugs on the end and mounted them to the back of the case so I can run switches up to the cab, yet be able to unhook them if I want to take the computer out for a little bit.

Switches and CD/DVD. I built a box to fit into the armrest for switches and the cd/DVD player. I found a Slim slot loading DVD-rom ( laptop size and loads like a head unit, no tray!!!). The drive is for a mac :loser: , so I had to find an adapter to convert it to IDE and power. So to pop in a DVD or a CD I just open the arm rest and the Drive is facing upward. I also wired in a switch for a power inverter so I can totally shutdown power (invert will still draw power even if nothing is pulling from it or the car is off = dead battery). And of course two momentary switches for the power and reset buttons.

Power: The most efficent way would be to buy a DC to DC psu (power supply), but I didn't want to spend $150 when I had a power supply already. So I'm going the inverter route. Always wire the inverter/psu directly to the battery. Drawing that much power through a lighter adapter is asking for trouble. My PSU is 300w (yikes! Over kill) so you have to match the watts with the inverter. I'm going with a 400w inverter because once you start pushing the max inverter wattage it starts to heat up (bad news, computer random restarts, fry the inverter :nonono: ).

Keyboard and trackball: I'm using a touch screen but it's not much fun if your doing more than just clicking a couple of buttons, so I decided to also have a trackball handy. I changed the red LEDs inside the trackball to blue and then cut out a plexi window and engraved "SVT" in it, also added an extra LED for more light. For the keyboard, I just took a black one and soddered in blue LEDs so it glows blue around the keys at night :thumbsup: , Yeah I like sonic blue!

Interface:
Start Here:
http://www.mediaengine.org/

This is a good starting program that interfaces everything. I have built a custom Terminator Cobra skin, can be seen here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53644&highlight=cobra+skin

If you want a copy of the skin just pm me.

I have the palm autotap, I can upgrade to windows for $150, a must! :beer:

I have a usb camera in the back window to record or just watch people behind me or for backing up.

I have wireless pci networking card, as soon as I hit the driveway I can have internet or transfer files that I have downloaded from my main computer.

Last: THE SCREEN

The screen sets it all off. The screen is about the only thing that the user sees. Issue #1, composite or VGA/XGA. VGA or XGA is a must for GPS or any program that uses small text. A composite screen is just for TV/DVDs and small text is not readable. Issue #2 Touchscreen, a little bit more expensive, but very cool and user friendly. Most touch screens are a seperate usb connection, so in my case a XGA/touchscreen will have two wires going to it, a 15 pin monitor cable (for the video) and usb cable to control the touch portion. Issue #3 Brightness. Brightness is measured in nits. Xenarc's best screen is only 260 nits. Great at night but not visible in the day. My screen is 400nits and is readable in direct sunlight. I ordered it directly from Hong Kong and it will be available in the US soon.

How to mount the screen. That's the million dollar question because I do not want to cut up my brand new '03 Cobra. I'm thinking of crafting a sheet-metal stand that I can hook to either the AC screws or mount it to the top of the radio bezel (where I really want it :beer: ).

I bought an adapter for the back of our mach 460 head units that outputs 2 rca cables. It also makes the CD button toggle between the cd changer and the rca cables, really cool!!! , otherwise I would have dad to hardwire the computer sirectly into the amps, :eek:

My screen should be here in about two weeks and I should have complete install in 3 weeks (hopefully). I will post pictures of what I have so far when I get home from work tonight.:beer:

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
wow! :eek:
... i think i have the same aux-in setup that you mention: FRDN-AUX, right?

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
Coleman, yes that is the same one, I did have my laptop set up on it for awhile, but now I just have my mp3 player running on it until I get my computer in. If I was going to build a system from scratch I would buy a via epia mobo. It has video and sound integrated and can be fit into a custom case the size of a mouse pad. Would be alot better to have it under the seat instead of in the trunk.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
It is kind of fun, but the only reason I am doing this is because I have the mod bug, but I want to keep my warranty, I've got exhaust and intake, not sold on the pulley yet, but been thinking about it.

Well that and I'm a software analyst (NERD!), so I enjoy this type of thing.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Ok I'm looking into the same thing but i want to run all my audio and everything off of the computer so what would it take ? I want to run dvd and cd off a slim unit wher that storage unit is about the rearview mirror then have a touch screen where the stock headunit it and run tv, fm radio and mp3's off of that the I'll also be using the computer for tuning and vehicle diagnostics.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
To take out the head unit totally would be a pain. I thought about it for awhile, but I don't want to look down to see the gauges. They do make FM cards now so radio is not a problem, it's just getting the computer feed into the Mach sound is difficult, doable, but difficult. Also, what will you do if you system is down? I'm happy with listening to my exhaust but I use a lot of gas when I try to make a beat. :beer:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Can we please have pictures of your progress? I'm sure that I speak for everyone when we say that, this truly is one of the most original and unique type of mod that we have ever seen. I am really interested in what you are doing, but since I am a visual learner I need visual augmentation to aid in my understanding. I don't care if it is just pics of your car torn all apart or pieces of what is being assymbled, hell I would even love to see how you have wired the thing and placement of the units. I am a nerd in jock clothing, and love what you are doing because you speak my language.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
Originally posted by hssss03
My screen should be here in about two weeks and I should have complete install in 3 weeks (hopefully). I will post pictures of what I have so far when I get home from work tonight.:beer:

:beer: :beer: Basically I don't have anything hooked up yet except for the RCA cables into my head unit. The rest is sitting in my room running. Even after I get my screen I will still test it for a couple of days before I put it in my car. I will have plenty of pictures and probably a write up from Processor and mobo to fabrication to Multi-Media Carputer install and functionality. I will provide links to all the places that I bought components and such for you. And remember, this is only v1 of the cobra puter. More will come. There are unlimited possiblities when we talk about a computer.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
If i could get the computer to put out rca's i could run that to amps for the speakers so no big deal. I just need to know where to start since I"m kind of new to anything like this.

Users who are viewing this thread