Is it too late to save Generation Y (Millennials)?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
As the title says, is it too late? I am almost 26, born 1988. I feel that I am disconnected with most of my generation purely out of the fact the rest of them seem like a hoard of idiotic, lazy, selfish kids that just don't know how to handle themselves in life.

Over the last few years, finishing college and becoming a part of the working community starting my career, I've really noticed just how f'ed up and niave most of the kids my age are, not to mention the fact younger Gen Y kids I want to just exterminate period.

Everyone matures with age, but are the "values", or lack thereof, and habits of Gen Y already instilled so much into their being and purpose that it may be too late to save this generation from becoming completely useless as a majority in society?

I'd really like to keep this as a serious discussion as much as possible, so please try to not get so off topic that it derails the entire thread.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
LOL, each generation has their share of what you described. There are Kids your age that will do great things.

P.S. I'm 32, what generation an I? Seriously.

Coiled03

Established Member
How exactly do you save an entire generation?

If, in fact, they're the burden to society you fear, then yes, it's too late. Most personality traits, habits, and behaviors are learned well before your age.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Every generation thinks the same thing. There are good guys out there still. There are still a hell of a lot of car guys too, and people who will work hard and bust their asses for a living. The average sit at home lazy unmotivated none car guy/no hobby kids/adults have always been the majority.

It's the same with every generation only this time the technology is different.

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
For generations and generations, the older generation has always said "kids these days!" and have thought the next generation is lost. But guess what, they aren't lost. They'll grow up and will turn out some super smart people that will change the world.

I'm not worried. I'm 31, not sure what "Generation" I'm in.

motoman991

Banned
You are describing liberals. Most people our age (I'm 27) are lazy retards. None of them want to work. I have a sort of friend(starting to fall apart because he's lazy) that I've known for a long time. He hasn't had a job for about 6 years, lives at home with his parents and does basically nothing. He has always been flat broke. He just assumes other people will take care of him. I'm sure there are millions of people exactly like him in this country. Worthless ****.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Gen Y is roughly 1980-2000, so anyone 34-14 would be considered Gen Y, but I honestly feel there is a sub Gen inside of Y because of a large disconnect with the 90s babies compared to 80s babies (pre-technology boom).

I asked this mainly because I feel that many people are seeing wht sort of crap teens these days are getting themselves into, and not doing for themselves.

My parents, for example, told me of the stupid things that kids, including them, did back in their day. Of course, as said above, the older generations just said "kids these days", but I feel Millennials have brought it to a whole new level.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Lack of discipline and consequences breeds lack of morals. I'd be more worried about the fate of our species in general considering pending global population saturation and a decline in other species. We will see a great plague and/or war before the end of our lifetimes. Less worried about bratty kids.

BIG_WINNER

Established Member
meh, the baby boomers are the generation that has messed everything up

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You are describing liberals. Most people our age (I'm 27) are lazy retards. None of them want to work. I have a sort of friend(starting to fall apart because he's lazy) that I've known for a long time. He hasn't had a job for about 6 years, lives at home with his parents and does basically nothing. He has always been flat broke. He just assumes other people will take care of him. I'm sure there are millions of people exactly like him in this country. Worthless ****.

No entirely. I know people that are die hard rebuplicans, that would rather sit at home and bitch about government and Obama than really try to get a job and move on to something more meaningful.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I hate 98% of my generation. I'm 32. I will say that the kids that I hire in their 20's are realizing that the world is getting shitty and aren't expecting everything to be handed to them. But the majority are still ****ing slackers.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
No entirely. I know people that are die hard rebuplicans, that would rather sit at home and bitch about government and Obama than really try to get a job and move on to something more meaningful.

Don't worry about them. Put all of your energy into yourself, and be as successful as possible. Either they will see you as a source of inspiration, or they will get jealous, throw you the middle finger and continue eating their double cheeseburger.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I hate 98% of my generation. I'm 32. I will say that the kids that I hire in their 20's are realizing that the world is getting shitty and aren't expecting everything to be handed to them. But the majority are still ****ing slackers.

Humans are naturally slackers. The humans that do try to succeed do so because they understand that they want to be free to do anything they want with their limited time on earth. Which basically means being able to be a slacker for the greatest amount of time. Those who do succeed in this also win at the game of life.

Some people become millionaires before the age of 30, and they can afford to slack.

The problem with most people is that they don't want to put in the work so that they can slack. The continual slackers will always be a slave to the system since they don't want to work.

They want everything handed to them, and they'll get their wish:

A job... never a business.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

This is what I'm beginning to notice more of. Kids coming out into the real world after not having to worry about anything in high school and such finally grasp how being a useless ****tard does absolutely nothing for anyone. I guess I just wish it was happening at a faster pace, and that other millennials would realize it's not about how often and how drunk you can get at parties on the weekends, how many people you can hookup with until you get herpes or hepatitis, and that the "party" crowd isn't as cool as they think they are.

gallantusmc

USMC Retired
Established Member
Every generation thinks this. Whenever this subject comes up I think of the following quote:

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates
Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No, it's not to late to save Generation Y because there is no need to save them. There are 'haves' and 'have-nots' from every generation. The trashy ones are the ones that you notice the most so it seems like there are more than there really are. Every generation has it's successes and failures, as BIG_WINNER said, maybe we should blame the baby boomers, they got us into Vietnam (also Greatest Generation), they were in control when 9/11 happened, they got us into Afghanistan and Iraq, they (and Gen X) are to blame for the Great Recession and the housing bubble bursting, and after all, they raised Generation Y.

At 30 myself, I do tend to agree that the younger people of Generation Y seem to be fairly lost, and I think computers/video games are partly to blame, but maybe that's because younger generally don't have their lives together like older people.

You need to remember the difference between a "Republican" and a "conservative". Those people you are talking to might vote for Republicans, but their political outlook and the way they live their lives is anything but conservative.

Last edited:

west08

Established Member
I'm 24 and I always thought that my generation (whatever its called) and younger were entitled brats with attitudes for the most part until I move from the small town USA to Metro Detroit. Now I am a firm believer it is NOT generational, but across all generations.

And this quote from an article about millennials makes it look like this country is going to get worse before it gets better. We do not need more government services screwing up free enterprise.

There are “big government” cross-currents: 66 percent think taxing “the rich” helps the economy, versus 13 percent who say “hurts.” And a “bigger government with more services” is supported by 54 percent, with 43 percent choosing smaller government.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/07/ken_braun_poll_says_young_vote.html#incart_river

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
I think it also has to do with the people they are associated with. The wife has a lot of family around our age(22-27) and a lot of them are working bullshit jobs and brag about doing the minimal amount of work to get by for the day. From what I've seen, their friends are in the same boat. The way I've always seen it is surround yourself with losers and you'll start catching their habits.

ViciousJay

Established Member

This!!!!

I've had a job since i was 13, I'm 32 and most of the people I see out there are trying to live Dan Bilzerian or Paris Hilton lives which is sad :nonono:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread