Is Mihovetz still campaigning the 4.6?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm curious if John Mihovetz is still campaigning the 4.6 mod motor or if he's moved onto the Coyote. If he is, that would be very telling. On his web site I still see 4.6 and 5.4 stuff but didn't see any Coyote. Can anyone shed light on this?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great question.
I'm rebuilding my LX True Street/Drag Week car and my tuner recommended full built 4.6 turbo over Coyote turbo just due to block integrity.
Need to get more feedback from guys I trust on the new aftermarket Coyote Bear Motors block.
-J

zredfire04

Established Member
the story is that the teksid blocks mihovetz has been running are stronger than the coyote blocks. he's making 3000+hp with modified oem stuff. oem heads (ported) and oem block (who knows what he does to those). lots of boost too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
From what I've seen the stock Coyote blocks are only good for about 700hp. Beyond that they have issues.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

2k2leenin

Established Member
I'm curious if John Mihovetz is still campaigning the 4.6 mod motor or if he's moved onto the Coyote. If he is, that would be very telling. On his web site I still see 4.6 and 5.4 stuff but didn't see any Coyote. Can anyone shed light on this?
He's still very much into the 4.6/ 5.4 platform. I was at his shop a few months ago & we spoke at length (and I'll be going back soon to pick up some items). It was like a candy shop in there with plenty of mod motor madness. I will, say he has a lot of rabbits up his sleeve...
How's your project going???

Brutal Metal

Established Member
John fills the 4.6 blocks to make them stronger. I think Accufab is gonna have to step it up after MMR developed the Billet Coyote Block and achieved their 5 second pass. They might have to purchase parts from the enemy.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Then it's not a stock Coyote block now is it?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Yea, Mihovetz has been running Teksid and perhaps 3V blocks for years. That's quite a testament to the robustness of the factory mod motor engine design but not very flattering for the Coyote. If he has experimented with the newer engines I would like to hear what their typical failure mode has been. NA the Coyote (and more so the Voodoo) are pretty impressive motors but something tells me the mod motor rules the roost when it comes to FI. One would think Ford got the memo that newer engines should be better than the older ones.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have read on other ford boards that for all-out race applications, the mod motor heads have a flow advantage over the coyote heads. iirc it has to do with the length/shape/design of the intake ports.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
i have read on other ford boards that for all-out race applications, the mod motor heads have a flow advantage over the coyote heads. iirc it has to do with the length/shape/design of the intake ports.
MMR uses the CNC ported GT350 heads that you can purchase from the Ford Racing catalog on their Pro-Mod motor.

stangfreak

Established Member
Yea, Mihovetz has been running Teksid and perhaps 3V blocks for years. That's quite a testament to the robustness of the factory mod motor engine design but not very flattering for the Coyote. If he has experimented with the newer engines I would like to hear what their typical failure mode has been. NA the Coyote (and more so the Voodoo) are pretty impressive motors but something tells me the mod motor rules the roost when it comes to FI. One would think Ford got the memo that newer engines should be better than the older ones.

I thought the new coyote motors were better than our motors when it came to boost. I know they have higher compression but dont they have bigger heads and doesn't the ti-vct help?

zredfire04

Established Member
variable valve timing is worthless for drag racing, so no the coyote doesn't get an edge there.

Vvt allows for max hp and street manners to coexist.

GodStang

Established Member
I thought the new coyote motors were better than our motors when it came to boost. I know they have higher compression but dont they have bigger heads and doesn't the ti-vct help?

Bigger heads then our motors yes but not bigger/better flowing than the GT500/Ford GT heads which fit our blocks as well as the 5.4L. Some of the best builds I have see are with this head.

Not sure how the Voodoo compares to the Ford GT heads.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The problem is the thin wall between the bores and the llinerless block. Not a good combo for lots of boost. I'm sure some guys push their Coyote engine but something tells me they are far and few between. It would be nice if John chimed in but something tells me he doesn't want to offend the Ford Motor Company.

stangfreak

Established Member
The problem is the thin wall between the bores and the llinerless block. Not a good combo for lots of boost. I'm sure some guys push their Coyote engine but something tells me they are far and few between. It would be nice if John chimed in but something tells me he doesn't want to offend the Ford Motor Company.

yea id love to hear what john has to say about this. Funny thing is, even my tuner told me to hold on to the cobra.

stangfreak

Established Member
Bigger heads then our motors yes but not bigger/better flowing than the GT500/Ford GT heads which fit our blocks as well as the 5.4L. Some of the best builds I have see are with this head.

Not sure how the Voodoo compares to the Ford GT heads.

so the heads on the trinity block will fit on our block? and the Ford GT? any special modifications?

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
I don't know what kind of issues the coyotes have been experiencing on high boost, but gawd damn they are owning the track out here lately. The fastest time's I've seen out here have all been coyote mustangs over the last year or two, but obviously not sure what mods they're using to run reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread