Is the 2013 lower front spoiler a direct bolt up to a 12?

49NorthVert

Established Member
Took my front chin spoiler off yesterday (spring cleaning thing) and now I am wondering whether the 13 spoiler is a direct bolt up replacement for my 2012 (so basically any 2010-2012)? I called the parts man and all he was able to say was that they had different part numbers and the 13 was a about $34 more. No 13's in my area to look at so I thought I would put it out here, thanks.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Just be really careful if you're lowered. I added it to my car and it is taking a beating. And it's a little annoying having to take a calculated risk over every speed bump and driveway.

49NorthVert

Established Member
Just an install question, do I need to remove the 2012 chin spoiler before attaching the 3splitter pieces? I'm thinking yes because I will need to use the 12 black bolts to attach it back to the car, is this correct? How then does the 2013 splitter pieces attach to the spoiler? I have read about 8 clips that come with the splitter pieces where do they come into this? A little more explanation and I will be there.
Thanks again.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Thanks guys, no not lowered. I'll order the 13 splitter Monday knowing it bolts up the same as my 12.

Even if your stock you will rub...I'm in ct and some roads or driveways are suspect, I tore mine up pretty good leaving my own driveway....I'm taking it off soon. It definitely adds a aggressive look to the front though

SuperFly03

Established Member
Just an install question, do I need to remove the 2012 chin spoiler before attaching the 3splitter pieces? I'm thinking yes because I will need to use the 12 black bolts to attach it back to the car, is this correct? How then does the 2013 splitter pieces attach to the spoiler? I have read about 8 clips that come with the splitter pieces where do they come into this? A little more explanation and I will be there.
Thanks again.

It will all make sense when you take your current one off.

It basically slides into place against five or so clips that are a part of the front end itself. You then bolt it into place so it doesn't move.

Just keep track of which bolts go where and you'll be fine. I wish I could be more specific but I didn't take notes when I did my install. I just started taking bolts off until the thing came loose, lol!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
There are metal clips that retain the chin spoiler once the bolts are removed, same goes for the 13 extension...clips came with mine then the removed bolts hold both spoilers as well, you will see the notches where the clips go once your under there, it will all make sense.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I didn't. It's not necessary unless you plan on doing some really high speed driving on the regular.

I'm actually planning on taking my splitter off really soon. Tired of the scrubbing. It looks great and all, but it's just annoying now.

Last edited:

BlueStarIV

Established Member
My car is stock height. Should I be worry about scraping the front?
Worry? no...it's just plastic. But you will scrap it often. I just sand off the rough patches with sandpaper and keep going.

But going through intersections where there is a slight dip in the road and not slowing down will cause the suspension to bounce and then you will scrap it. And obviously at the end of a steep road merging with a flat road - best thing to do there is try to take the turn at an angle.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Yep. I have a stock height and mines take a beating even when I am trying to be careful. The true issue is when you pop once to often, the metal clips snap the plastic piece it holds and you may get a gap......

I have redone my setup, but I will try to sand down my rough parts. It still maked the front of our cars look really aggressive.

PRP

Established Member
I have a 2010 that I added the '13 air dam to. I also run the FRPP FR-3 handling pack so my air dam rubs even on slightly sloped driveways.

I found a great way to clean up the scuff marks. I wear leather Mechanix gloves and use my Blazer (mini torch) to heat the scuffed area then run my gloved finger down the edge.

It looks like brand new when done.

FWIW, the 3 pieces are held on by the 10 oem bolts that bolt the splitter onto the facia. The bolts are stepped so you have to insure that the stepped part goes up into the air dam holes.

Then the clips hold the 3 pieces tightly together.

HTH,
Phill

lsp408

Established Member
I received 3 piece chin spoiler and the brace today. 3 piece spoiler came with instruction so it's no big deal, but not sure about the brace. Someone did the install can shine some light on how to install the brace? (It almost looks like I need to pop off clip nut off the bumper and put on the brace?)

PRP

Established Member
I received 3 piece chin spoiler and the brace today. 3 piece spoiler came with instruction so it's no big deal, but not sure about the brace. Someone did the install can shine some light on how to install the brace? (It almost looks like I need to pop off clip nut off the bumper and put on the brace?)

My understanding is it goes on the inside of the front bumper/facia so you have to remove it to install the brace.

Phill

charged87

Established Member
Didn't know the 13-14 had a extra 3 piece lip underneath it.. i thought it was a different splitter all together. I just took my lip off to get painting to match the rest of the car. anyone know the best place to order one?

Canadian Kona

Established Member
PM (FORDSVTPARTS) he is a member here, Mike R. great guy and awesome service. He is from AutoNation Ford, best prices around.

Users who are viewing this thread