Is the GT500 an SVT product?

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
91svtbird said:
Not only is it an SVT product it is also the next succeeding model of the SVT Cobra (including Cobra emblems and badges )just with a diff name on the back .:poke:

Note: this is meant for 96svt not you Bruce.

Um I've never said otherwise? It technically isn't a SVT Cobra, even though we all know it really is. That's where a lot of people have issues. If you're gonna remake the GT500 put a diffrent drivetrain in it than just using an upgraded SVT Cobra and slapping Shelby on it.

But it is ford after all

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Trust me. They have been doing it. Lately, I think most of them have conceded. But there are still a few doubters out there! :(

I figured this would finally put this issue to rest? :shrug:

You shoulda known better. You'll never convince everyone of anything.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NinetySixSVT said:
You shoulda known better. You'll never convince everyone of anything.

My original intention was to produce hard facts to the people that refuse to believe that the GT500 was truly an SVT product. I think the evidence is pretty conclusive! :idea:

There is No Doubt some people can't be convinced of anything when they have a closed mind! :read:

:rollseyes

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
My original intention was to produce hard facts to the people that refuse to believe that the GT500 was truly an SVT product. I think the evidence is pretty conclusive! :idea:

There is No Doubt some people can't be convinced of anything when they have a closed mind! :read:

:rollseyes

+1

Anyone who says the car isn't a SVT is in some seroius denial.

That's kinda like saying a Mustang isn't a Ford.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NinetySixSVT said:
+1

Anyone who says the car isn't a SVT is in some seroius denial.

That's kinda like saying a Mustang isn't a Ford.

Trust me!! Sadly enough, they were out there!!

"It's not an SVT. They just threw some leftover wheel center caps on it they had in the parts bin!!"

Trust me, that quote IS IN the GT500 forum somewhere?!?! :-D

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Trust me!! Sadly enough, they were out there!!

"It's not an SVT. They just threw some leftover wheel center caps on it they had in the parts bin!!"

Trust me, that quote IS IN the GT500 forum somewhere?!?! :-D

LOL

I guess they didn't look at the engine...

or the tach...

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
Though I view the Shelby as an SVT Cobra there is a part of me that sometime hesitates to think so and feels that SVT may produce a separate Cobra in the future as you stated.

Do you feel the way you described (Cobra v. GT500) because of the price difference you mentioned or because of some other reasons? Just curious.

There are some finer distinctions that I can personally make between the two, but they probably don't represent the most popular viewpoint. I saw the New Edge Cobra as an experiment to provide a more refined Mustang (aluminum 32V, IRS) that included a reasonable upgrade in performance and image over the base GT at a fair additional price. But the New Edge was something of a let down for those seeking ultimate, ground-pounding performance. Based on where the Terminator took the Cobra, the marque moved toward a more extreme, albeit heavier, solution in answer to the demand for definitively superior performance.

The Shelby GT500 is really an extension of this maximum performance concept that the Terminator started (more like re-started)... but on a superior platform with a premium price tag. So in this sense the Cobra-base is covered by the Shelby, but at pretty high price. I can see a non-Shelby Cobra coming back in either of two guises...a Terminator-esque S/C'd Cobra built in the Retro-style priced between the base GT and Shelby... or as a more refined New Edge-like (N/A-IRS) Cobra built in the new body style sometime later...and similarly priced. These aren't predictions, but two possible Cobra's that would be distinctive from the GT500. My Giugaro-esque Cobra pinings, as noted above, relate to the later rather than the former version...but again I'm probably in the minority on this.

chuckstang

Established Member
I think the GT500 is the new Cobra and you will see it built for many years to come. Its a stretch but I think that nameplate will be around for many years to come.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Ior as a more refined New Edge-like (N/A-IRS) Cobra built in the new body style sometime later...

If it were going to be NA then it better put down at least a minimum 375 HP to the wheels which means a larger displacement than the 4.6 L or else we would be back to the pre-terminator Cobra in performance which wouldn't make sense since the 05-07 GT's with basic mods are already comparable to the New Edge Cobra's in HP. Perhaps this is where the new BOSS 302 engine may become useful.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
LOL

I guess they didn't look at the engine...

or the tach...

Yea it really makes you wonder how someone who owns a GT500 can be so ignorant about their own car. :??:

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
chuckstang said:
I think the GT500 is the new Cobra and you will see it built for many years to come. Its a stretch but I think that nameplate will be around for many years to come.

I can see the Shelby GT500 being around for while as long as the price remains through-the-roof and all those cars sit on dealer lots collecting dust and in some cases, snow....lol. But, I hear you...if these cars come down to MSRP they are going to be wildly popular, but there might be a significant base Vette cross-over factor. We shall see. I still believe there is room for a non-Shelby Cobra return...unless some future Mach 1 fills the slot instead. (See below)

CobraKindaGuy said:
If it were going to be NA then it better put down at least a minimum 375 HP to the wheels which means a larger displacement than the 4.6 L or else we would be back to the pre-terminator Cobra in performance which wouldn't make sense since the 05-07 GT's with basic mods are already comparable to the New Edge Cobra's in HP. Perhaps this is where the new BOSS 302 engine may become useful.

You're right. Larger displacement aluminum block is exactly what I was thinking about and it's in development. Looking forward to seeing what they ultimately come up with. With respect to positioning and timing of new special editions and a Cobra the following might be reasonable...

Mustang GT $ - (current retro and new design)

Mach 1 or Bullitt $$ - (current retro design...makes most sense)
SVT Cobra $$$ - (new design)

GT350 initially $$$$$$$$, then $$$$ (anybody's guess on design)
GT500 $$$$$
BOSS $$$$$$ (current retro design...and only 1,000 built???)

As you can see there is a gap between the limited-edition, collector cars and the base GT which needs to be filled. Something will fill the gap...may not be a Cobra at all. Could be a series of limited releases of different cars. Anything with Shelby on it will remain at the top, except for a really limited run BOSS. Of course, this all assumes a healthy Ford. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Sadly the middle of the road is suppose to be the Shelby GT but at over 40k its a rip off.

I read too that the Shelby GT is supposed to be middle of the road but I give the Shelby GT to pull duty for only about a year as a stop-gap between the Mustang GT and the GT500. A year from now Ford should have it figured out as to how what model or specialty stang will be made to fill the power gap so that there is a pony that is closer to the 400 wheel HP mark.

2FST4U

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
I could give a **** if my car says shelby or not. :shrug:
I haven't posted since I was bashed for saying I paid MSRP for my GT 500. I hope GT500 is politically correct? I have owned a 67 Mustang GT, 94 Mustang Gt, 96Cobra, 03 Cobra and now the Shelby. I could give a rats as.. what emblems are on the car. I can't buy any other car with the looks and performance of this car! This is the most awesome car I have ever owned. SVT, GT500, Shelby, Mustang why does it matter so much?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
2FST4U said:
I could give a rats as.. what emblems are on the car. I can't buy any other car with the looks and performance of this car! This is the most awesome car I have ever owned. SVT, GT500, Shelby, Mustang why does it matter so much?

Because people are down right crazy?!?! :shrug: ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

well SVT,is a thing of the past. Unless Ford brings back the person that is responsible for it even being created,no one but the man him sely--Mr. O.John Coletti. If Ford does that then we can all enjoy some serious HP,and have a product by SVT again. But what do i know just my thoughts. Latter,a proud owner of a 2007 Shelby GT500.

jean

Established Member
As for the window sticker:
03-04 :Mustang. At the bottom and right side :SVT
07-?? :Shelby (no mustang name) no SVT logo

Users who are viewing this thread