Is the GT500 an SVT product?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
you guys do know that ford got ahold of shelby, not shelby-ford, right? its hilarious how everyone says that "shelby just slapped his name on it to get a few bucks" when it was ford that approached him about this.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
04YellowGT said:
I usually just sit back and read these forums but I got to chime in on this one. I have to agree with ON D BIT your arguments are going no where NinetySixSVT. You keep posting you just want the Cobra to continue then say that’s not it. I’ve read every post on this thread and you keep switching what you want.

Don’t get me wrong, the Cobra name has some history behind it and is a well known name but I think people like you take the name WAY too far. It’s more of a status symbol than anything else to you. You act like the Cobra started it all and the Mustang was a byproduct of it, when in fact it was the other way around. It’s a name that’s all, a very popular and well respected name, but a name none the less. An SVT Mustang is still here and is better than its predecessors. Everyone knows it is a 2007 Cobra just with the Shelby name on it.

Now I might be reading you all wrong but from your posts all I’m hearing you say is “I WANT THE COBRA NAME.” If I’m wrong please clear this up for me.

The Cobra name does mean alot to me though. I fell in love with Mustangs the first time I saw my friends brand new (at the time in 03) 2003 Cobra. The Cobra is what got me started in Mustangs and from that point on thats all I ever wanted to own and is all I ever have owned.

We've moved this to smackdown, where ODBIT has found out many have the same idea as me.

If you can't tell what I want from this thread, you have reading comprehension issues, and I will be glad to help you out. Check out smackdown.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Who owns the "GT500" rights? Ford or Shelby? Is the Shelby name addition part of an agreement for the use of the GT500 identifier by Ford? which all fits into this current retro craze.

R

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
04YellowGT said:
I usually just sit back and read these forums but I got to chime in on this one. I have to agree with ON D BIT your arguments are going no where NinetySixSVT. You keep posting you just want the Cobra to continue then say that’s not it. I’ve read every post on this thread and you keep switching what you want.

Now I might be reading you all wrong but from your posts all I’m hearing you say is “I WANT THE COBRA NAME.” If I’m wrong please clear this up for me.
quoted for truth!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NinetySixSVT said:
If you can't tell what I want from this thread, you have reading comprehension issues,

From what I can tell, you want the Cobra to go on forever and ever. It just doesn't work like that. Plain and simple.

:coolman:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
From what I can tell, you want the Cobra to go on forever and ever. It just doesn't work like that. Plain and simple.

Again...we're discussing this in smackdown.

Feel free to join in.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NinetySixSVT said:
Again...we're discussing this in smackdown.

Feel free to join in.

To tell you the truth, I try to avoid Smackdown. It seems every time I go there, I have to read drivel that some troll, asshat, moron or mindless lurch has posted. Then I end up having to ban his useless ass. Some of the mindless discussions in there never cease to amaze me! :fart:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
To tell you the truth, I try to avoid Smackdown. It seems every time I go there, I have to read drivel that some troll, asshat, moron or mindless lurch has posted. Then I end up having to ban his useless ass. Some of the mindless discussions in there never cease to amaze me! :fart:

Well it's either discuss is there or force you to close this thread. it seems obvious to me this thread will continue to spiral out of control, that's why we took it to smackdown.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NinetySixSVT said:
Well it's either discuss is there or force you to close this thread. it seems obvious to me this thread will continue to spiral out of control, that's why we took it to smackdown.

It's only out of control because you two let it get that way. :(

My point for starting the thread was to prove to the people that just can't seem to come to grips with the fact that this IS an SVT product! That's it!

91svtbird

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
It's only out of control because you two let it get that way. :(

My point for starting the thread was to prove to the people that just can't seem to come to grips with the fact that this IS an SVT product! That's it!

Not only is it an SVT product it is also the next succeeding model of the SVT Cobra (including Cobra emblems and badges )just with a diff name on the back .:poke:

Note: this is meant for 96svt not you Bruce.

Last edited:

Klay

Established Member
I really don't understand why some can't understand that the shelby gt500 is the next cobra. It's like complaining that the Ford is stupid for dropping the "40" from the "gt40 title." Anyone who thinks they can rationally argue that the shelby is not the next generation cobra abandoned logic long ago.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Klay said:
I really don't understand why some can't understand that the shelby gt500 is the next cobra. It's like complaining that the Ford is stupid for dropping the "40" from the "gt40 title." Anyone who thinks they can rationally argue that the shelby is not the next generation cobra abandoned logic long ago.

Trust me. They have been doing it. Lately, I think most of them have conceded. But there are still a few doubters out there! :(

I figured this would finally put this issue to rest? :shrug:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Klay said:

I agree with you 110%. When the GT500 came out I immediately made the connection that this was the next generation Cobra. There was absolutely no leap of logic that had to be made.

Why some people don't or can't get it is beyond me. They must have an abnormally strict definition regarding "branding" which to me makes absolutely no logical sense and speaks loudly that these types must be really high maintenance folks to have to cut hairs that finely to reach a peace of mind or level of satisfaction.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Were the original Shelby Mustangs ever officially called Cobra's?

Not to my knowledge. It was just called Shelby GT500. It was Ford's idea to marry the Cobra onto the Shalby GT500 for the 07. SVT had started a project for the S197 style Cobra (project Condor) but as Ford reorganized SVT to be combined with Ford Racing(?) it was decided to do the GT500 instead. I assume its because from a performance standpoint the SVT Cobra and GT500 are quite similar. Ford decided to keep the SVT group on the design buy also struck an agreement with C. Shelby to offer suggestions. C. Shelby was working with Ford at the same time to redesign a new Shebly Cobra concept car.

It was also decided that because the SVT Cobra and Shelby GT500 were practically from a performance standpoint one-and-the-same car that to keep the "Cobra" branding alive that the SVT Cobra badges and emblems would be placed onto the Shelby GT500. Ford does consider it to be the next generation Cobra and markets it as such. The only hand that CS had in the GT500 Cobra were two test runs and some suggestions about what tires to put on the rear of the car. Other than that he had little to no design involvement.

The GT500 is more of a tribute car to Shelby than an actual S197 "Shelby". This "fact" probably would piss-off alot of Shelby GT500 die-hards but from a technical standpoint the new Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H's are more actual "Shelby" designs since the cars come off the Ford production line as "finsihed" GT's and then actually are shipped to the Shelby production center for the makeover. But as we all know it is "perception" that decides the court of public opinion and a good marketing campaign did a good job selling the GT500 as an original "Shelby" design.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy...thanks for the clarification. The problem I have with linking the Cobra to the Shelby name in the new GT500 is now the "Cobra" comes at a significant premium ($20K to $30K) over the base Mustang GT. Whereas, the original Cobra's were an incremental jump to the next level....without the added Shelby premium. Personally, I've come to see the Shelby as a separate and distinct model versus what came to be known as the Cobra. Maybe someday we'll see a new SVT Cobra return without the costly Shelby name. In response to the original question...The Shelby GT500 is definitely an SVT product, but IMHO it's not an SVT Cobra.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
CobraKindaGuy... In response to the original question...The Shelby GT500 is definitely an SVT product, but IMHO it's not an SVT Cobra.

Though I view the Shelby as an SVT Cobra there is a part of me that sometime hesitates to think so and feels that SVT may produce a separate Cobra in the future as you stated.

Do you feel the way you described (Cobra v. GT500) because of the price difference you mentioned or because of some other reasons? Just curious.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
CobraKindaGuy...thanks for the clarification. The problem I have with linking the Cobra to the Shelby name in the new GT500 is now the "Cobra" comes at a significant premium ($20K to $30K) over the base Mustang GT.

You gotta think that Ford is loosing a potential 20 to 30K in revenue making a car that can stay up in performance with the Corvette but yet be bought relatively cheaply in comparison to the Vette. I wonder if perhaps there was some backroom scheming by Ford to want to boost the price of future Cobra's up from the production GT and V6 models in order to compete in the price ranges that Corvettes are sold at. Ford would certainly be aware that if they just marked up the price of the Cobra's to the 50-60K range that it would certainly create a backlash from Cobra loyal customers. But if they branded it with Shelby's name they also could see that the people could be "marketed" into paying the larger difference based on the branding.

In the future if Ford drops the Shelby "branding" and produces just a "Cobra" will they keep the price up or will it drop back down to what the MSRP was for the last 2004 SVT Cobra? It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. :pop:

Last edited:

FBMphil

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
Not to my knowledge. It was just called Shelby GT500. It was Ford's idea to marry the Cobra onto the Shalby GT500 for the 07. SVT had started a project for the S197 style Cobra (project Condor) but as Ford reorganized SVT to be combined with Ford Racing(?) it was decided to do the GT500 instead. I assume its because from a performance standpoint the SVT Cobra and GT500 are quite similar. Ford decided to keep the SVT group on the design buy also struck an agreement with C. Shelby to offer suggestions. C. Shelby was working with Ford at the same time to redesign a new Shebly Cobra concept car.

It was also decided that because the SVT Cobra and Shelby GT500 were practically from a performance standpoint one-and-the-same car that to keep the "Cobra" branding alive that the SVT Cobra badges and emblems would be placed onto the Shelby GT500. Ford does consider it to be the next generation Cobra and markets it as such. The only hand that CS had in the GT500 Cobra were two test runs and some suggestions about what tires to put on the rear of the car. Other than that he had little to no design involvement.

The GT500 is more of a tribute car to Shelby than an actual S197 "Shelby". This "fact" probably would piss-off alot of Shelby GT500 die-hards but from a technical standpoint the new Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H's are more actual "Shelby" designs since the cars come off the Ford production line as "finsihed" GT's and then actually are shipped to the Shelby production center for the makeover. But as we all know it is "perception" that decides the court of public opinion and a good marketing campaign did a good job selling the GT500 as an original "Shelby" design.

FYI, older Shelbys have cobras all over them, yet aren't called cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread