Is the GT500 an SVT product?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
91svtbird said:
I think that Ford might be saving the COBRA name for a new car that will be produced in the near future. The remake of the original two seat Cobra.

I heard from an unnamed source this is a distinct possibility . This would explain why they dropped the "Cobra" name from the Shelby Cobra GT500.

Just something to consider !

that would be cool. i was a little dissapointed when the mustang stole the cobra name to begin with. hence the reason i always refer to them and the svt mustang.

i have had conversations both ways.
"i drive a cobra"
"you drive a mustang cobra? nice, how do you like it?."
"no i drive a 66 shelby cobra."
"really? that is sweet"

and
"i drive a cobra"
"you drive a shelby cobra? very cool!"
"no i drive a 03 mustang cobra"

as you can see it gets confusing!

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
that would be cool. i was a little dissapointed when the mustang stole the cobra name to begin with. hence the reason i always refer to them and the svt mustang.

Irony at it's finest!

ON D BIT said:
i have had conversations both ways.
"i drive a cobra"
"you drive a mustang cobra? nice, how do you like it?."
"no i drive a 66 shelby cobra."
"really? that is sweet"

and
"i drive a cobra"
"you drive a shelby cobra? very cool!"
"no i drive a 03 mustang cobra"

as you can see it gets confusing!

Dude you are NOT kidding. See my previous post. I was asked back in January what SVT stood for on my car, when I explained, the guy said "oh i thought it was something with Shelby".

It's ridiculous.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
Where your opinion and my opinion differs is I want to see my cars name live on...again, you cannot comprehend this for som reason.

is that not what i have been saying for the entire forth page. "you want the name cobra to be continued." i say this again and agian and you say i am wrong. yet you say the exact same thing!

honestly i think you are mad because shelby stole your name.

you could care less about the car itself as long as it has cobra on the back.

this clearly states that all you care about is the name svt cobra.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
is that not what i have been saying for the entire forth page. "you want the name cobra to be continued." i say this again and agian and you say i am wrong. yet you say the exact same thing!

Now you are definetly twisting. I've said from the getgo I want my name to continue on. That does not mean I'm "mad", nor does it mean that's "all I care about". It means it is what I want. As you even said regarding the earlier Cobra's...it is dissapointing, but it's not the end of the world.

This is not the "exact same thing".

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
Irony at it's finest!

Dude you are NOT kidding. See my previous post. I was asked back in January what SVT stood for on my car, when I explained, the guy said "oh i thought it was something with Shelby".

It's ridiculous.

shelby is the main reason manufacturers have built and modified a ton of models that were not meant for performance. so yes the guy is right your svt mustang comes straight from shelby building a car that could kick the corvettes ass! :beer:

shelby was not the first to modify car though i believe he was the first to do it in a manufactured scenerio. look at a m series, amg, srt, or svt and thank shelby.:burnout:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
shelby is the main reason manufacturers have built and modified a ton of models that were not meant for performance. so yes the guy is right your svt mustang comes straight from shelby building a car that could kick the corvettes ass! :beer:

shelby was not the first to modify car though i believe he was the first to do it in a manufactured scenerio. look at a m series, amg, srt, or svt and thank shelby.:burnout:

According to your logic...**** Shelby, thank you Henry Ford! :rollseyes

91svtbird

Established Member
The original question in this post is " Is the GT500 an SVT product"

About Ford SVT
The Ford Special Vehicle Team was founded in 1991 to develop and build high-performance, fun-to-drive cars and trucks that add luster to the company's lineup – or "Polish the Ford Oval." The official SVT launch came in February 1993 with the unveiling of the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning. Since that time some 150,000 SVT vehicles have been produced, including several versions of the Cobra (both coupe and convertible) and Lightning pickup, the SVT Contour sports sedan, and both three- and five-door versions of the SVT Focus. SVT has also produced special Cobra 'R' models in 1993, '95 and 2000. In addition, SVT was responsible for the development and production of the 2005-06 Ford GT supercar – as well as the most powerful production Mustang ever, the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60697

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
Now you are definetly twisting. I've said from the getgo I want my name to continue on. That does not mean I'm "mad", nor does it mean that's "all I care about". It means it is what I want. As you even said regarding the earlier Cobra's...it is dissapointing, but it's not the end of the world.

This is not the "exact same thing".

what else do you care about?

if you just cared about lineage svt is still here.
if you just cared about performance the shelby outperformes previous svts.
if you just cared about the mustang line its still here.

there is nothing more to your statements the only thing different between the shelby and your svt is the name cobra. thats it!

oh and you did state that you were mad about the name!
NinetySixSVT said:
I'm mad becase it appears to be the end of the SVT COBRAs... YOU are the one twisting this.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
According to your logic...**** Shelby, thank you Henry Ford! :rollseyes

yes thank henry ford for the developement implementation of the assembly proccess and production of less expensive automobiles. but he was far from the first to build or create and wagon with an engine. by my logic go back a little further to thank the guy who gave us cars.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
what else do you care about?

if you just cared about lineage svt is still here.
if you just cared about performance the shelby outperformes previous svts.
if you just cared about the mustang line its still here.

there is nothing more to your statements the only thing different between the shelby and your svt is the name cobra. thats it!

oh and you did state that you were mad about the name!

Dear...GOD. You are the most retarded person I've "met" on the internet. Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment.

If you want to continue this make a post in smackdown, because the next response you make I am going to rip apart into a million pieces and this is not the place to do it.

beabout

Established Member
SVTOA has been kicked to the curb and so has the dealer certification process that brought me to purchase my 2003.

Oh SNAP!!

You forgot to spank me for this statement as well.... :poke:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
HAHAHA! Seems like everytime I venture into the gt500 threads, I see one or two good posts.....then 5 pages of ON D BIT vs. <your name here>!!! Personally I agree with Bruce. Don't give a damn what they call it, just build it well and make it fast!! I do think however, that the SVT name to many of us meant just that. Sorry to see it go.....

04YellowGT

Established Member
I usually just sit back and read these forums but I got to chime in on this one. I have to agree with ON D BIT your arguments are going no where NinetySixSVT. You keep posting you just want the Cobra to continue then say that’s not it. I’ve read every post on this thread and you keep switching what you want.

Don’t get me wrong, the Cobra name has some history behind it and is a well known name but I think people like you take the name WAY too far. It’s more of a status symbol than anything else to you. You act like the Cobra started it all and the Mustang was a byproduct of it, when in fact it was the other way around. It’s a name that’s all, a very popular and well respected name, but a name none the less. An SVT Mustang is still here and is better than its predecessors. Everyone knows it is a 2007 Cobra just with the Shelby name on it.

Now I might be reading you all wrong but from your posts all I’m hearing you say is “I WANT THE COBRA NAME.” If I’m wrong please clear this up for me.

The Cobra name does mean alot to me though. I fell in love with Mustangs the first time I saw my friends brand new (at the time in 03) 2003 Cobra. The Cobra is what got me started in Mustangs and from that point on thats all I ever wanted to own and is all I ever have owned.

Last edited:

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
95Proof said:
The great engineers will no longer be working on the same project - meaning the SVT Mustang offering. They will be spread out. You will have marketing types dictating the next SE mustang and its performance specs. How about that 84' GT 350... Not hating, but if SVT goes by the wayside you no longer have one group voice inside Ford fighting to produce a hi performance mustang of GT 500 caliber or beyond. If everything falls back to Team mustang I believe the accountants will have more pull with corporate than the engineers. Just a thought. Oh yeah - wasn't the original name going to be the Ford Mustang SVT Cobra GT 500? My vote - SVT product that has Shelby badging - not vice versa. Car is sweet - would love to get one - no matter what you call it...

IMO, it is a Ford and SVT Product with the Shelby Namesake on it. Shelby did have some influences on the car, but Ford and SVT had larger ones. Even Jack Roush was in on it with a custom crank and other items.

A limited 500 Edition SVT Gifted Poster i have says "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500", bearing the SVT Logo and Stamp. This was in August of 2004. Shelby and Ford w/ SVT had since then made Legal Arrangements to put Shelby on the car and remove the Front Running SVT Cobra References. This happened before August of 2005 when i was told by Ford and a SVT Engineer at an Auto Show.

SVT logo is even on the Headlight Buckets of this car.:D

I consider it a new and improved generation of Mustang. This too, (here's hoping Ford will continue on with the Mustang), that in the future will be replaced with an even better one. :beer:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Angel said:
IMO, it is a Ford and SVT Product with the Shelby Namesake on it. Shelby did have some influences on the car, but Ford and SVT had larger ones. Even Jack Roush was in on it with a custom crank and other items.

A limited 500 Edition SVT Gifted Poster i have says "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500", bearing the SVT Logo and Stamp. This was in August of 2004. Shelby and Ford w/ SVT had since then made Legal Arrangements to put Shelby on the car and remove the Front Running SVT Cobra References. This happened before August of 2005 when i was told by Ford and a SVT Engineer at an Auto Show.

SVT logo is even on the Headlight Buckets of this car.:D

I consider it a new and improved generation of Mustang. This too, (here's hoping Ford will continue on with the Mustang), that in the future will be replaced with an even better one. :beer:

According to an article I read about the making of the GT500 CS never even saw the car until it was ready to test drive for the first time after it was completed before going to production. He made a couple recommendations and that was it. One suggestion was mentioned above about going with at least larger rear tires. He also took dozens of photo opportunities for advertising purposes. That was the full extent of his participation in its design. The rest was SVT.

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
According to an article I read about the making of the GT500 CS never even saw the car until it was ready to test drive for the first time after it was completed before going to production. He made a couple recommendations and that was it. One suggestion was mentioned above about going with at least larger rear tires. He also took dozens of photo opportunities for advertising purposes. That was the full extent of his participation in its design. The rest was SVT.

I have video of Shelby driving the Test Mule; interior vid and exterior vid. Wicked driver, run the car to 80+ mph and then slam it in 2nd - the thing came to a screeching halt and it almost made the front fascia hit the ground. :D

He had an issue with the tires, yes, they were going to put smaller ones on the rear and he said no way. He wanted the largest possible. He is mostly for namesake indeed. He also got angry at one of his engineers for suggesting an automatic transmission and he stormed out of the room and saying blunt no. I spoken to many people who grew up with him and worked with him as i lived in East TX close to where he was from;- he was a working class man with a vision for performance cars, a lot like Jack Roush was.

I agree, there is a large amount of SVT Engineering into these cars as Carrol himself trusted a lot into Hui and his Team and he then just looked things over afterwards.

*edit* Another story i been told is that the first test drive, Carrol, Hui and a Lead SVT Engineer took the test mules to a drive;- each came back after a half an hour and then Carroll never showed up until hours later; threw the keys to the Engineer and said "build It".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread