Is there value in buying a 2012 Shelby?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, that seems kind of harsh. True, but harsh. Here’s the kind of buyer I am. I’m almost 60 years old. I probably look at the car as another bank account as much as anything. I’ve never gone over 4500 RPMs with my terminator or over 90 miles an hour. As far as a Shelby goes, I want a convertible but I think I’m looking for a base model. Also, I know they’re popular but I don’t like the Recaros. Not a fan of the performance pack wheels either but if the right car had them of course I would buy it. As far as modifications go, I wouldn’t do anything. So what kind of buyer does that make me? Please be nice guys.

If your not gonna mod at all, a 2011/2012 Performance Pack Vert is a great buy

I think if your looking at investment and a possible payout on a collector car, the opportunity has been missed for a 13/14 based on present day pricing.
The 13/14, pricing on a sub 5k mile car, fully optioned for <$50k are gone, never to return.

plumbcrazy

Established Member
If your not gonna mod at all, a 2011/2012 Performance Pack Vert is a great buy

I think if your looking at investment and a possible payout on a collector car, the opportunity has been missed for a 13/14 based on present day pricing.
The 13/14, pricing on a sub 5k mile car, fully optioned for <$50k are gone, never to return.
I think I tend to agree with that summation. Even if money were no object, I’m not really interested in a car of any kind that has 1500 miles and 4 owners. I found a ‘12 base model convertible at a dealer about five hours from me -one owner.
It’s black, not my first choice but I think these cars are going to become harder to find like any other car that are one owner with relatively low mileage.Sadly, I think you’re right about pricing on the 13-14‘s. My pockets aren’t so deep as to spend $70,000 on a car that’s pristine and has never been driven, especially if I’m keeping my Cobra.
Thanks man and I appreciate everybody’s opinion here.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
11/12's were a 2 year run.
13/14's were a 2 year run.
I don't see a 12 catching up to the value of a 13/14 for a long time if ever. How much of the cost difference to buy now " could " be made up is pure guess work..

96gt02

Established Member
I have arguably the most desirable combo 2012 GT500 (grabber blue, fully loaded navi, glass roof, recaros, track pack) with roughly 15k miles which seems to be around the low $50k area in the this market, even the least desirable black base model 13/14 is gonna bring 10% ish more then my car and more desireable combo would be in the 20-25% range higher IMO

fearthesnake

Established Member
I think I tend to agree with that summation. Even if money were no object, I’m not really interested in a car of any kind that has 1500 miles and 4 owners. I found a ‘12 base model convertible at a dealer about five hours from me -one owner.
It’s black, not my first choice but I think these cars are going to become harder to find like any other car that are one owner with relatively low mileage.Sadly, I think you’re right about pricing on the 13-14‘s. My pockets aren’t so deep as to spend $70,000 on a car that’s pristine and has never been driven, especially if I’m keeping my Cobra.
Thanks man and I appreciate everybody’s opinion here.
I wouldn't worry about it honestly and buy what makes you happy within your budget. Most importantly, don't compromise.

What is your budget and what color/options do you want? Start from there and work towards your goal. Don't ever go into the mindset of buying these cars for an investment or to make a little money, ever. Use investment funds for that!, lol.

Good luck with your search and don't worry about what other people will think of it.

I'm working/saving towards a 2020 GT500 purchase, going to take me a while longer but I know what I want ultimately, not going to compromise even if it means saving for 6 months longer.

74SD455TA

Established Member
2013 or 2014 all the way. What you need to consider is, "if" you want keep it long term thinking that it will outpace the 2012, then you will need to keep that mileage down. If you're not willing to do that but "use" the car then you might want to go to the 2012 and just enjoy it for what it is as a driver car. I don't think an 80,000 2013 is going to outpace a 2012 that's been kept in immaculate condition and not driven in bad climates. Styling comparisions of the two, well, there is no comparison. Its the 2013 or 2014 hands down. Any angle you look at these cars it does come up roses where certain angles (especially those rear taillights on the 2012) are not true to form to the heritage of the Mustang. The 13's and 14's mimmick the 1965 and 1966's about as good as anyone would have hoped. And of course the performance, no question there either.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
This is exactly why I don’t want to sell my Cobra because even with 90,000 miles on it, it has always been very well-kept and nice sonic blue convertibles don’t come by the way that often. Now that a nice low mileage one if available is probably approaching $40,000 I think 50 to 60 is probably a good investment on a ‘13-14 Shelby .
I like to drive my car but don’t want to rack up too many more miles on it at this point so getting a decent low mileage Shelby at least I could enjoy for a while. I love looking at it but I also love having it on the road.
Disconnecting the odometer is something I’ve suspected on a lot of cars I’ve looked when I was looking for my Cobra ( I think we’ve all seen it) but it’s actually something I would never do. Aside from being illegal it’s just a crappy thing to do - not honest. I really appreciate everybody’s input like I said.It means a lot.

Don’t sell your Cobra. If you can swing both, keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Don’t sell your Cobra. If you can swing both, keep it.

It took me three months but I decided to take your advice. I’m keeping my sonic blue Terminator convertible. I just can’t bring myself to sell it. Probably means I will keep looking for an 11 or 12 GT500 convertible instead of a 13-14 but to be honest, I also can’t bring myself to spend 60-75k at this time ( or any other time probably).
Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread. It was helpful for sure. Cheers.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It took me three months but I decided to take your advice. I’m keeping my sonic blue Terminator convertible. I just can’t bring myself to sell it. Probably means I will keep looking for an 11 or 12 GT500 convertible instead of a 13-14 but to be honest, I also can’t bring myself to spend 60-75k at this time ( or any other time probably).
Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread. It was helpful for sure. Cheers.

It was nice of you to come back and update us.
I learned from the sale of my wife's Comp Orange Terminator and my Screamin Yellow, do not sell one car just to get another. Although we made money on the sales, we would have made 3x's the amount of money if we sold it today.

More importantly, I could have a stack of paid off cars sitting on display right now, which would make me happy in lieu of selling.

I want a new Mach 1. I find it pleasing to my eyes, but the Shelby stays.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

Nice! 11-12’s are fun, respond well to mods. Not a bad buy. Imo, yes 13-14’s are the complete package, but yes, they are starting to skyrocket now.

In hindsight, I could of swung keeping my Cobra and getting into a 13-14. This was back in early 2020. However i thought it would be a much better financial move to unload the Cobra. Hopefully i can get another when things settle. We definitely are going to hit a recession soon and hopefully i will have all my extra pennies by then.

Fyi, a SB Cobra is on the top of my list. Good luck to me lol.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
when i look at the 13/14s i see the 03/04 terminator push also. Very happy that I bought my 13 GT500 as i've had both and wish i didn't sell my cobra. I will not sell my Shelby GT500 even though my wife hates the fact that I own it.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
when i look at the 13/14s i see the 03/04 terminator push also. Very happy that I bought my 13 GT500 as i've had both and wish i didn't sell my cobra. I will not sell my Shelby GT500 even though my wife hates the fact that I own it.

Same, my 14 is here to stay.

cj428mach

Established Member
Short answer 13/14 > 07-2012
Long answer 13/14 > 07-2012

Some people who purchased low mileage preowned units prior to Covid, are probably doing very good from a "value" stand point versus what prices are now

When the 2020's came out people were giving away the 13's/14's. I remember a 1 owner 10k mileage 13 being for sale for $42,000 forever in my neighboring state, i thought about reaching out to buy it but in the end I wanted to keep my terminator. That same car is probably worth at least $10,000 more right now.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
When the 2020's came out people were giving away the 13's/14's. I remember a 1 owner 10k mileage 13 being for sale for $42,000 forever in my neighboring state, i thought about reaching out to buy it but in the end I wanted to keep my terminator. That same car is probably worth at least $10,000 more right now.

I couldn't find where they were giving them away in March of 2020, thats when I bought mine. But prices had sure come down to make one obtainable for me. And even than, I was scared to borrow that much money. Very thankful for the one I have and at the price that I got it at

The 13/14 is king

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
i was lucky enough to find someone on here selling theirs. Had to travel but well worth it imo. 10k on the clock when i bought it. I can probably just about add another 15 to 20k if i decided to sell now to the sale price. (even though i'm not selling still nice to see) So glad i took the chance and that that person reached out to me on here. i dont see the prices coming much down either and i hate to say it but with people destroying these cars and taking money on insurance make them that much rarer imo.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
i was lucky enough to find someone on here selling theirs. Had to travel but well worth it imo. 10k on the clock when i bought it. I can probably just about add another 15 to 20k if i decided to sell now to the sale price. (even though i'm not selling still nice to see) So glad i took the chance and that that person reached out to me on here. i dont see the prices coming much down either and i hate to say it but with people destroying these cars and taking money on insurance make them that much rarer imo.

If the RIGHT 13/14.....non garage queen, well taken care of comes along, Im buying another. My wife understands the collectability and has approved. It'll be her car anyways

Users who are viewing this thread