Is this O/R X-pipe salvagable?

pridemore54

Established Member
Went to install this BBK O/R x-pipe that came with the car (current midpipe is a BBK with "high flow" cats welded in) and noticed it has almost the exact same dent as the one on the car that's causing a super annoying exhaust tick.

What's the chances this is fixable and how so? All I can think of that I have here is a blowtorch and a hammer but idk if I can even get the right prying/hammering angle on it.

Leads on a replacement O/R pipe that fits longtube headers would also be appreciated. Seems that market has dried up during my hiatus from motorsports. Can't find them anywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414_161110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_161110_Gallery.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20230414_161114_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_161114_Gallery.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 78

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would think an exhaust shop that has the tool to... flare (cant think of the right word)... exhaust piping would be able to throw that on there and it would push it right back out if nothing else

PC03GT

Established Member
Went to install this BBK O/R x-pipe that came with the car (current midpipe is a BBK with "high flow" cats welded in) and noticed it has almost the exact same dent as the one on the car that's causing a super annoying exhaust tick.

What's the chances this is fixable and how so? All I can think of that I have here is a blowtorch and a hammer but idk if I can even get the right prying/hammering angle on it.

Leads on a replacement O/R pipe that fits longtube headers would also be appreciated. Seems that market has dried up during my hiatus from motorsports. Can't find them anywhere.
@LARperformance

pridemore54

Established Member
I would think an exhaust shop that has the tool to... flare (cant think of the right word)... exhaust piping would be able to throw that on there and it would push it right back out if nothing else
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure. I'll have to load it up and see what they say

03' White Snake

Established Member
Oh yeah that sounds like it could work
It will. I do it for all kinds of sheet metal parts at work. Point of adjustable is to keep it tight on the part. Bend a little, tighten and repeat. I use a pretty large adjustable to reach in as far as possible or to where you need to start bending. It should work for you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ballpean hammer, tap it out.

Use lube when installing and tap pipe as you tighten ..

BBK also on our cobra , this pipe was a tight fit to seal

muscleatsrice

Established Member
It will. I do it for all kinds of sheet metal parts at work. Point of adjustable is to keep it tight on the part. Bend a little, tighten and repeat. I use a pretty large adjustable to reach in as far as possible or to where you need to start bending. It should work for you.
This is what I did on mine, works just fine. No need to take it to a shop.

pridemore54

Established Member
The adjustable wrench and heat did end up working. Took the car for a test drive and the exhaust tick is about 90% better, there's still a little something somewhere. I think at the X pipe to drivers side header connection.

At some point I may look into having a shop cut the flanges off to make use of some V-bands or something like that.

On a better note, during the test drive a widebody Charger hellcat appeared next to me and wanted the sauce. Walked him about a bus length before letting out lol.

Thanks everyone

hotcobra03

Established Member
The adjustable wrench and heat did end up working. Took the car for a test drive and the exhaust tick is about 90% better, there's still a little something somewhere. I think at the X pipe to drivers side header connection.

At some point I may look into having a shop cut the flanges off to make use of some V-bands or something like that.

On a better note, during the test drive a widebody Charger hellcat appeared next to me and wanted the sauce. Walked him about a bus length before letting out lol.

Thanks everyone
Stethoscope with rubber hose added.
You will hear the slightest leak.

I have a crack on my right side header in the middle of where the 4 tubes get welded.
I can hear it but others may not

I've had issues with back side of x ,flow master flare isn't wide enough and clamp slides over and leaks ,here a few shims around clamp holds fine .

railroad

Established Member
Probably, no heat required.
Just adj wrench. Dealed with that a few times.
Smaller wrench does a nicer job.

Users who are viewing this thread