It seems nitrous is going out of style, grrr...

mustangsally1

Established Member
Went to the race track a few weeks back and all the nitrous vendors skipped out. Lucky enough was able to buy a bottle off of a guy. Going to the race track tomorrow and I had to drive a hour to get nitrous. Of course the nitrous line broke then had to go a hour in the opposite direction to get a line. I asked both guys why and they said there is no money in filling a bottle. Anyway just thought I would share this for all you nitrous people. :fm:

tistan

Established Member
That is because the price around me went for $3 a pound to $4-5 a pound depending on who is selling it. Why waist the money to do a nitrous system that cost $40-50 per bottle fill when you can buy a blower or turbo setup that never has to be refilled.

CPRsm

I used to pay 20 to fill a bottle, and thought that was cheap then. Even out here now I think a bottle fill is 60 or so with profit less than 30%. Definitely not worth it.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
glad that I've never gone the N20 route.. If Ford had wanted my car to have Nitrous, they would have used that instead of a supercharger :)

oldmodman

Established Member
I am going to pick up some welding gases tomorrow and I'll see what a 120 pound bottle costs.

You don't need a "real filling station" to do it. Just 10 feet of teflon lined braided in three lengths, two inline filters, and a freezer that will hold the smaller bottle.
I used to refill all my bottles that way.

Freeze the bottle, hook it to the big bottle, put it on a scale, open the big bottles valve with the small bottles AN fitting slightly loose. Let a little gas leak out to purge the line, tighten the AN fitting, open the small tanks valve and keep an eye on the scale. When the correct weight of gas has transferred shut both valves then open the AN fitting slowly to bleed off the gas in the lines and filter. To get the last little bit of gas out of the big bottle I would leave it out in the sun with a black trash bag on it to build the pressure up enough to get all but the last pound or so out. Just remember to clean both filters after each big bottle. Those tanks are just full of crap.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'll be spraying my car once the new engine goes in. Maybe before it goes in if it takes too long to save up for it. Luckily there are plenty of places around here to get it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Didn't know nitrous fills had gotten that expensive. I would agree that for occasional use it's still a great power option. But to use it regularly looks to be pretty expensive. My biggest complaint about nitrous has always been that when the bottle runs dry you're down on power. With a blower or turbo your power is always available. JMO.

PressurEngr

Established Member
Part of the problem is that people are getting tired of the problems associated with nitrous, along with having to refill the bottle. For example: nitrous/fuel solenoids sticking open, not opening, sticking closed, backfires blowing apart the intake, popoff valve blowing off the bottle, etc etc. Everyone i know including myself has had some sort of issue with it.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Part of the problem is that people are getting tired of the problems associated with nitrous, along with having to refill the bottle. For example: nitrous/fuel solenoids sticking open, not opening, sticking closed, backfires blowing apart the intake, popoff valve blowing off the bottle, etc etc. Everyone i know including myself has had some sort of issue with it.

With a quality system being properly run, those issues are uncommon.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
With a quality system being properly run, those issues are uncommon.

Indeed. I have lost count how many bottles have gone through my motor, and I have yet to have a problem with the kit.

exactly...same here....6 years w/o issue

with that being said, my track randomly has a guy that will fill up but didn't see him much near the end of the year but there are a few local places that will do it including my tuner so Im all set.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Went to the race track a few weeks back and all the nitrous vendors skipped out. Lucky enough was able to buy a bottle off of a guy. Going to the race track tomorrow and I had to drive a hour to get nitrous. Of course the nitrous line broke then had to go a hour in the opposite direction to get a line. I asked both guys why and they said there is no money in filling a bottle. Anyway just thought I would share this for all you nitrous people. :fm:

I'd save up for a blower or turbo kit and have it all the time.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Buddy of mine does his own. Major cost around here is the $200.00 bottle deposit. Once you cover that and save up enough to get the big bottle you're ready to go. He sells some on the side to a select few cash paying customers.

mustangsally1

Established Member
Thanks guys for the info. I would have gone with something different but 8 years ago nitrous was the in thing. When I had the car built I was asked how I wanted it set up. For nitrous, supercharged, turbo. So of course I said NITRO baby. I have gone 8 years without any problems with the nitrous. I made sure I got a dry kit. I have thought about the super charger but I would have to change somethings on the car to go with a different set up on top of the 5k. It was 50.00 to fill but depending on the shot you run it can go for a few passes.

Users who are viewing this thread