Jacking Up the Front

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I didn't buy that!! I just got the ramps for the front. That is a portable lift kit for racing.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
This ramp set costs $2,878.00! Are you ****ing kidding me???? You could install a 2 post lift brand new and have money left over.

No kidding, those prices are insane :lol:

I don't see what the big deal is....get full lengths welded in (should have them anyway), a low saddle height jack like a Torin, 2 pieces of 2x4, and a couple jack stands. This process should take less than 5 minutes to get the front up. If you're scared going under there....take your 2 front rims and lay them down under the front side of the doors for insurance. Chalk the rears with wood. Set the brake. There's no way it's coming down unless you do something really stupid.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
The point is, some people don't have the room for a lift, nor the money. You can get the two front ramps for about 350 or so. They are portable too, which is nice. And the biggest thing is this. They are no skid on any surface. I can safely use them by myself and there is no way the car is coming done on me, like your proposed set up.

I got freaked last year reading about the guy that got killed on here. His car fell on top of him and crushed him. That was enough for me to stop working under a car with stands and a jack. I know it can be done, but I want to make sure I live to see another day.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got myself a low profile electric scissor jack. I believe this is the one.

Bully Q-HY-1500L Bully 12 Volt Electric Car Jack

684-Q-HY-1500L_3.jpg

I just slide it under the front of a lowered car and plug into my battery booster pack (for jump starting a car with a dead battery). It lifts the car right up to where you can slide in a normal floor jack and go. Or you could let it jack the car all the way but it's faster to switch to a floor jack once you can get it in there.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The point is, some people don't have the room for a lift, nor the money. You can get the two front ramps for about 350 or so. They are portable too, which is nice. And the biggest thing is this. They are no skid on any surface. I can safely use them by myself and there is no way the car is coming done on me, like your proposed set up.

I got freaked last year reading about the guy that got killed on here. His car fell on top of him and crushed him. That was enough for me to stop working under a car with stands and a jack. I know it can be done, but I want to make sure I live to see another day.

The guy that got killed was doing major surgery like removing the trans. The OP here is talking about an oil change. I doubt those 350 ramps are going to give you clearance for a tranny drop. What I proposed under the context of the OPs question should be more than safe for an oil change.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I think I could possibly get the trans out. I don't think they are in unreasonably priced. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
Just built these this weekend. $35 worth of 2"x10"s and about an hour to throw together.

Makes changing the oil so much faster.

VrS6sfB.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I think I could possibly get the trans out. I don't think they are in reasonably priced. That's the only point I was trying to make.

I see. They are nice quality. And 350 isn't too bad I suppose for things like the non-skid material. Do you have a ballpark weight figure for those?

I think the real sticker shocker to me on those ramps is going from 350 like you have to almost ten times that amount like the setup 05satin posted. That's quite the jump! Lol. I'd love to get a real lift.

SpectorV

Established Member
about the only way to get mine on jack stands is to:

Drive up on 2 2x10s stacked together (both sides)
Place jack under one subframe rail and jack up/place jack
Jack up other side on subframe rail and place jack

I can repeat for the rear if needed.... I cant reach the K member and I have a low profile jack. (Not a super high dollar one mind you)

I could jack on the pumpkin in the rear but I dont (after driving up on boards).

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had the wood set up and it PISSED me off every time I used them. They would slide all over the place.

I have the wood setup too. I got some thick rubber mat material and attached a few large squares on the bottom side. Keeps it planted now and no longer slides forward while you're trying to drive up on them.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had no issue with the wood moving. I 45ed each end; I think that helped.

My ends have 45 degree cuts too. If you have a really smooth garage floor they slide to no end. It's really frustrating. That's when I flipped them over and nailed in some rubber especially by the tip where the tire first goes on. In fact I left a "flap" if you will that hangs out so the tire drives over the flap first essentially pinching it down and now the wood can't move back because the tire is already on the rubber holding it down.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
My ends have 45 degree cuts too. If you have a really smooth garage floor they slide to no end. It's really frustrating. That's when I flipped them over and nailed in some rubber especially by the tip where the tire first goes on. In fact I left a "flap" if you will that hangs out so the tire drives over the flap first essentially pinching it down and now the wood can't move back because the tire is already on the rubber holding it down.

I must have gotten the extra heavy lumber from Lowes. :shrug:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I must have gotten the extra heavy lumber from Lowes. :shrug:

lol yeah dunno. I made mine from 2x12 so it's not exactly light. Maybe you just have to have them for a few years and let the wood dry out and get slick? dunno, I made mine almost 10 years ago so I really don't recall if the problem started later or was there from the start.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
To each there own, I don't have alot of room to be moving heavy homemade ramps. My two piece race ramps only weigh in at about 28lbs for the set! And there's handles on the end pieces that the tire sits on. I have those hanging against the wall. I've jacked my car up under the subframe connectors which work. But I want a ramp thats durable, light, and I can drive on without doing anything else! These suckers are also 12 inches wide, perfect for our cars with wider tires!

hotcobra03

Established Member
i made ramps in my driveway,,just to change oil,no need for jack,

i do mine hot and let drain for 30 min atleast

Rambro

Established Member
Are jackstand failures, cars shifting while on jackstands a common thing? I'm about to drop the trans but this thread has me paranoid. Ill probably have about eight stands underneath the car after reading this.

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
Are jackstand failures, cars shifting while on jackstands a common thing? I'm about to drop the trans but this thread has me paranoid. Ill probably have about eight stands underneath the car after reading this.

There is always a chance, but the number of jack stands isn't going to stop it if it shifts. Also just be careful while doing it I work under vehicles all the time on jack stands (school buses), but before that I worked at a Ford dealer. I think working on them on a lift is a little safer because you are on your feet, and it is easier to move. However you got to do what you got to do.BTW if it helps you can place ramps under the wheels incase it does shift they may help slow it down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread