Jacking Up the Front

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I did a quick search on this and wasn't happy with what I came up with. My jack that came with the car crapped out on me and I need to do an oil change without using it. Sadly my low profile jack isn't quite low enough to get to my typical jacking point that I can reach in conjunction with the factory jack and I'm trying figure out a way to lift this bastard up without having to use the factory jack stand and just my low profile jack.

Long story short, these are the right jacking points for the front portion 03/04 Cobras, correct?
JackingPoints.gif

The red circle is usually where I jack the car up once I have it lifted a little bit off the ground once I've used the factory jack to get it high enough to reach that point.
JackingPoints13.jpg

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well I was trying to do it without having to start the car. I have it stuck in my head that it's better to change the oil once the car has been sitting for awhile to let the old oil settle.

I edited my first post.

Zemedici

Established Member
And also burns the living shit out of your skin. I always do mine cool. However cranking it and rolling it 5 feet wont heat it that much.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I got sick of driving on two small 2x6's then jacking the front up, then putting rhino ramps under front tires. Today Fedex dropped off my new 2pc 72 inch race ramps! Can't wait to test them out. Yeah there spendy, but look very solid a 10 inches wide.

Edit: I also change my oil when its warm, lol I never burn myself from oil. Hardly ever get oil on myself.

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
...I jack the car up once I have it lifted a little bit off the ground once I've used the factory jack to get it high enough to reach that point.
JackingPoints13.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The factory jack was uselees to me. Definitely could not get it under the car for nothing.

I got sick of driving on two small 2x6's then jacking the front up, then putting rhino ramps under front tires. Today Fedex dropped off my new 2pc 72 inch race ramps! Can't wait to test them out. Yeah there spendy, but look very solid a 10 inches wide.

This is actually the best solution for anyone with a lowered car. Those ramps make life easier and cranking the car for a minute to go over the ramps will not heat up the oil in any way to burn you when you drain it out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, I've been tossing it around for almost 2yrs on buying a set. Plus these ramps are 8 inches total height versus the 6 inches my rhino ramps have. Hope they work great, I've always dreaded having to raise my car up in the past.

50q's

Established Member
I took three ten foot 2x10. Cut one in half and each half on the other two. Lifts the car about 4 inches higher. Perfect to slide a jack underneath.

vroom

Established Member
make some ramps out of wood to get car high enough to get jack under. oil is supose to be changed warm/hot.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Homemade ramps are fine for some. I have a small garage, plus those are heavy. I also don't use jacks that much, they scare me. I've heard to many horror stories. I agree change oil when hot.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Yea, the jack that comes with the car crapped out on me only after not a whole lot of uses. I of course now have to get a new one to put in the car in case of flats. I just used it to get it high enough for the floor jack. This go around I just got two old pieces of deck board and drove up on those and that was high enough, to my surprise, to get the low profile floor jack underneath the front jacking point (this was my first using my low profile jack). When replacing the jack that comes with the car, are there better options than just getting a factory replacement? There has to be.

I hate jacking up the car with a passion too but I'm pretty OCD with the jack stands and backups to the jack stands and backups to the backups, lol. A while ago I read that a Cobra owner was crushed by his car when he was under it while in the air working on the transmission I believe.

I learned something new today with changing the oil when it's warmed up. I was told a long time ago it was best to do it cold. Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks for the help on this guys. :beer:

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I have an OEM jack for sale with one use on it. It has some scratches on the bottom from having to use it in a parking lot. I have OCD so I had to buy a new one to replace it because of the scratches.

I would do $20 shipped on it. If you are interested in it just let me know and I will send you some pictures.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, the jack that comes with the car crapped out on me only after not a whole lot of uses. I of course now have to get a new one to put in the car in case of flats. I just used it to get it high enough for the floor jack. This go around I just got two old pieces of deck board and drove up on those and that was high enough, to my surprise, to get the low profile floor jack underneath the front jacking point (this was my first using my low profile jack). When replacing the jack that comes with the car, are there better options than just getting a factory replacement? There has to be.

I hate jacking up the car with a passion too but I'm pretty OCD with the jack stands and backups to the jack stands and backups to the backups, lol. A while ago I read that a Cobra owner was crushed by his car when he was under it while in the air working on the transmission I believe.

I learned something new today with changing the oil when it's warmed up. I was told a long time ago it was best to do it cold. Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks for the help on this guys. :beer:

Yes I remember hearing about that tragic accident. The car can shift when on jackstands, and I've used them in the past quite a bit. Locally we had a same type of accident. A father was in the garage at night, got crushed by his vehicle. He wasn't found until the next morning when his was looking for him because he never came to bed. My wife always got nervous when I'm working under the car. The race ramps I just recieved today are spendy (315.00) but hoping this will take the worries away everytime I have to raise the car up. Here is a link to ones I purchased. There NOT the trailor ones shown, but the custom 2 piece 72" ramps.

Race Ramps 2-Piece, 2-Stage Incline Ramps, RLL-87-2, RR-XT-2, RR-56-2

glittle75

Established Member
My Mach is pretty low on coilovers. For me, I use my low-profile jack. But get in the car, and turn the wheel to the right, full lock. Then slide the jack under the A-arm in the huge hole between the tire and rocker.
I feel like you guys are complicating the jacking process.
Get the car up, stands under the frame and let the car down on them. Then keep the jack under the car as well with pressure on the frame or in the middle of the K member.
If the car feels like its gonna fall, you are tightening things to damn much.

Users who are viewing this thread