Just curious. How long does your average stock clutch last?

chrisheltra

Established Member
Please tell me they last longer than 25k miles or longer than a set of tires.

Im having sever gear grinding everytime I shift into 3rd gear. The dealer tells me there is a SSM (whatever that is) for this issue. They told me the causes are either a backed out bolt or a worn out clutch. There telling me a new clutch install is $1500 :eek:. Ive had this car in the shop twice now for similar issues and they told me everything was fine. The last time was 3 months ago. I know there going to tell me its the clutch no matter what the issue is so they can make some money.

Blackmagic1

Established Member
My 06 had 68k on it and worked perfect. I had a 99 that went 99k before seal soaked the disc. If you only have 25k and weren,t drag racing every weekend,it should be fine.Any other dealers close, to getg another opinion?

ademily87

Established Member
No way a clutch should be wore out after 25k miles.

Unless you're a female...? That could be understandable. Lol :beer:

If you do get sucked into getting the clutch done, be there when they remove it and look at the "meat" on the disc. Just say you want to see it before you give them $1500 to do an unnecessary job.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Please tell me they last longer than 25k miles or longer than a set of tires.

Im having sever gear grinding everytime I shift into 3rd gear. The dealer tells me there is a SSM (whatever that is) for this issue. They told me the causes are either a backed out bolt or a worn out clutch. There telling me a new clutch install is $1500 :eek:. Ive had this car in the shop twice now for similar issues and they told me everything was fine. The last time was 3 months ago. I know there going to tell me its the clutch no matter what the issue is so they can make some money.

there is a TSB for the pressure plate bolts backing out. there are plenty of FI cars that are still on the stock clutch. i would be pressing for warranty. is it jones ford or palmetto?

chrisheltra

Established Member
My 06 had 68k on it and worked perfect. I had a 99 that went 99k before seal soaked the disc. If you only have 25k and weren,t drag racing every weekend,it should be fine.Any other dealers close, to getg another opinion?

Never drag raced it. They are my second oppinion. The original dealer told me everything was fine and that my floor mat was causing my issues.

3E7BB941-90DF-45D7-89D3-4CDCF4A4FEDE-1239-000001090F5F2DDE.jpg

ED7F288B-F744-43FA-9925-98C0CF5D8035-1239-00000109139CF4BA.jpg

11499735-5689-48B5-8666-1B92BB8189CF-1239-0000010916D3AED5.jpg

No way a clutch should be wore out after 25k miles.

Unless you're a female...? That could be understandable. Lol :beer:

If you do get sucked into getting the clutch done, be there when they remove it and look at the "meat" on the disc. Just say you want to see it before you give them $1500 to do an unnecessary job.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Not a woman.

If they do say they want to replace it I will definitely tell them I want the old parts back but how hard would it be for them to cough up a worn clutch?

If they do tell me its bad Im thinking of replacing it with a mcleod but then my warranty on my trans will be voided.

Last edited:

Ill_W1N

Established Member
1500 to replace is BS! It's under warranty. Tell them to go f*ck themselves and find a new dealer.

alex12gt

Established Member
Well if the bolts back out is the reason for clutch failure then the clutch should be replaced as well under warranty it was uncontrollable wear caused by the issue

ViciousJay

Established Member
Warranty doesnt cover wear items (clutch, tires and brakes)

first 12K they do!

i need a new pedal i think, i went to remove my helper spring and fluid was coming out when i pulled the cable off right before pulling spring. I freaked and put it all back together but now the clutch is grabbing crazy!

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Well if the bolts back out is the reason for clutch failure then the clutch should be replaced as well under warranty it was uncontrollable wear caused by the issue

+1 Thats what a friend (Ford master tech in VA) and I discussed today. A worn clutch wouldnt explain why my issue is only in 3rd gear. Replacing the clutch isnt going to fix the damaged cause by the gears grinding in side the case either. I cant imagine what my fluid looks like. :eek:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Chris my nephew had the same problem as you. On his 2011 GT/CS it was the bolts.
He got a new trans, clutch and fly wheel out of the deal. It's been almost a year and everything has been good with the new parts.

Users who are viewing this thread