Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Just saw this for the first time and I spit out my drink.
I hate to write this, but I have to...kind of. This is like the scenario where the woman keeps going back to the guy that is either cheating on her or beating her. She cant seem to move on.
Guess which one is which?
All kidding aside, I would find a good aluminum block and bump compression. I only run e85, so that isn't an issue. I'd also address wiring issues and not worry about going to a stand alone as that just introduces a ton of other potential wiring issues. Stand alone isn't necessary for what you are doing. Just my opinions.

My issue with the factory ECU is I have no way to data log or tune it. SCT is absolute garbage. The factory ECU is also unable to support any type of Flex-Fuel. If I had a GM Ecu and HP Tuners, sure; I'd go that path. But right now, much options seem non-existent.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My issue with the factory ECU is I have no way to data log or tune it. SCT is absolute garbage. The factory ECU is also unable to support any type of Flex-Fuel. If I had a GM Ecu and HP Tuners, sure; I'd go that path. But right now, much options seem non-existent.
What do you mean you have no way to datalog or tune it? There's at least one way to datalog it. And quite a few guys on here tune the stock ECU. No matter what you'd have to pay for the software.

So what happens when you build this fancy new engine and it still runs like garbage? Or are you hoping that removing all the stock wiring will fix it? What if it's not ECU related?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Are you referring to GM having a flex fuel sensor that can be added and used? The factory ECU is fine for running e85, if you aren't trying to have it adjust for ethanol content on the fly. You can have multiple tunes via a chip with a switch or have different tunes to load via handheld.
We just dont have the flex fuel sensor.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What do you mean you have no way to datalog or tune it? There's at least one way to datalog it. And quite a few guys on here tune the stock ECU. No matter what you'd have to pay for the software.

SCT X3 can not actually tune. It just flashes tunes. Mine can not datalog since the software says it needs to update the X3 which means I need to flash my car to stock and unpair it with my car to update.

There is no open source software to tune the factory ECU that I’m aware of.

So what happens when you build this fancy new engine and it still runs like garbage? Or are you hoping that removing all the stock wiring will fix it? What if it's not ECU related?

Why would a refreshed motor on a stand-alone with a new tune run like garbage? Why would I be “removing all the wiring”. Your statements are contradicting and don’t make any sense.

Car has lower compression on 2 cylinders
Car gets 8mpg being gently driven in town.
Car is way down on power.
Car has horrible cold start manners (pop-bang-die)
S/C seems to be using oil

So what is your solution?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you referring to GM having a flex fuel sensor that can be added and used? The factory ECU is fine for running e85, if you aren't trying to have it adjust for ethanol content on the fly. You can have multiple tunes via a chip with a switch or have different tunes to load via handheld.
We just dont have the flex fuel sensor.

That and their ECU supports it.

Dual Maps is a crappy way of doing things. It’s almost impossible to get the “tunes e85” content on a reliable basis. Ethanol content will very station to station and refill to refill.

You also have the variability of mixing 93 and e85 if you are going back and forth.

blownfox

Established Member
SCT X3 can not actually tune. It just flashes tunes. Mine can not datalog since the s

1)Car has lower compression on 2 cylinders
2) Car gets 8mpg being gently driven in town.
3)Car is way down on power.
4)Car has horrible cold start manners (pop-bang-die)
5) S/C seems to be using oil

What was your compression on those 2 cylinders? maybe perform a leak down test.
#2,#3, and #4 could be poorly installed parts or just a bad tune.
replace the KB with a Whipple 2.3 or 2.9 or VMP 2.3 or 2.65

Before i would spend 10k at a rebuild, stand-a-lone, and blower I would take it to a good tuning or performance shop. I did the MS PnP on my last car and did not really like it. I've heard good things about the Holley setup.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What was your compression on those 2 cylinders? maybe perform a leak down test.
#2,#3, and #4 could be poorly installed parts or just a bad tune.
replace the KB with a Whipple 2.3 or 2.9 or VMP 2.3 or 2.65

Before i would spend 10k at a rebuild, stand-a-lone, and blower I would take it to a good tuning or performance shop. I did the MS PnP on my last car and did not really like it. I've heard good things about the Holley setup.

Passenger Side:

1 - 180psi
2 - 180psi
3 - 120psi
4 - 140psi

Driver Side

5 - 160psi
6 - 150psi
7 - 155psi
8 - 160psi

I already own a MS3 that was intended for a Porsche years ago. I don’t trust shops in general, having had nothing but bad experiences. Any recommendations near the South Bend area?

I’m told Brenspeed sucks donkey dick.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Corbic, shaker in Granger is the machine shop hands down 574 272 0770. Replace your fuel pumps w/gt500 pumps, contact Dale @ 954 951 5779 for pistons, rings and pins.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Corbic, shaker in Granger is the machine shop hands down 574 272 0770. Replace your fuel pumps w/gt500 pumps, contact Dale @ 954 951 5779 for pistons, rings and pins.

I’m familiar with them. Had a few blocks done there.

One of the nice things about this area is we have a few good machine shops with decent lead times.

Also, why GT500 pumps? I have a KB BAP, or are you talking for supporting E85?

Last edited:

Four Door SVT

Established Member
We just picked up a teksid block that was abandoned at Ridge, it has already been machined .20 over and the crank was refinished at .10 over and heads were also surfaced, pressure tested and valve job. There are plenty aluminum blocks available I’m just not ready to sell this one. I’ll still take it to Steve @ shaker before I build it because I don’t trust Ridge. Very dirty machine shop, over worked and always in a rush. Dale @ MMR will get you every thing forged very quickly.

01yellercobra

Established Member
SCT X3 can not actually tune. It just flashes tunes. Mine can not datalog since the software says it needs to update the X3 which means I need to flash my car to stock and unpair it with my car to update.

There is no open source software to tune the factory ECU that I’m aware of.

Why would a refreshed motor on a stand-alone with a new tune run like garbage? Why would I be “removing all the wiring”. Your statements are contradicting and don’t make any sense.

Car has lower compression on 2 cylinders
Car gets 8mpg being gently driven in town.
Car is way down on power.
Car has horrible cold start manners (pop-bang-die)
S/C seems to be using oil

Yes, you'd need to buy the Pro Racer Package to tune with the X3. But any software to tune these cars needs to be bought. You can still datalog with your X3. You just need a laptop and to download Livelink. The last time I updated my hand held was about 3 years ago. And I still datalog with it with no issues.

Just seems to me you have other issues. The stock engine in my 01 had 3 bad cylinders. Broken rings and chipped pistons. It still got good mileage and started with no issues. I didn't know it was that bad until I tore it down. I just think it would suck to invest all that time and money to swap engines and ECUs only to have it still run like crap.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Steve is generally 2 weeks, he’s doesn’t get hurried you can tell how calm he is. If you buy a rotating assembly from MMR have them balance it, you will be steps ahead

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, you'd need to buy the Pro Racer Package to tune with the X3. But any software to tune these cars needs to be bought

Which is like $1000 and a big floppy donkey dick that was designed in the 90’s and can’t even live tune.

You can still datalog with your X3. You just need a laptop and to download Livelink. The last time I updated my hand held was about 3 years ago. And I still datalog with it with no issues.

Mine says I need to reset the hand held to update.

Just seems to me you have other issues.

Such as...?

The stock engine in my 01 had 3 bad cylinders. Broken rings and chipped pistons. It still got good mileage and started with no issues. I didn't know it was that bad until I tore it down. I just think it would suck to invest all that time and money to swap engines and ECUs only to have it still run like crap.

Why would it run like crap with a fresh motor with a proper EFI setup and tune?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Steve is generally 2 weeks, he’s doesn’t get hurried you can tell how calm he is. If you buy a rotating assembly from MMR have them balance it, you will be steps ahead

Hard pass on MMR.

I’d just get a block machined so it’s fresh and clean and have my friend in Texas assemble the engine.

It would be like $2,500 or so.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
What about Moates Quartehorse?

I am trying to decide what to do tuning wise for my cars. The shop I was looking at taking them to uses HP Tuners which I would need to buy an nGauge but I already have a SCT X3 and X4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What about Moates Quartehorse?

I am trying to decide what to do tuning wise for my cars. The shop I was looking at taking them to uses HP Tuners which I would need to buy an nGauge but I already have a SCT X3 and X4.

Cobra is not supported by HP Tuners.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Too many good ideas here where you just shoot them down immediately and you're the one with all the problems. How much stuff have you done on this car yourself and you're still having problems but you don't trust shops. There is a reason or multiple reasons it's "running like crap". Your compression seems a little low on a few cylinders, but not enough to describe what you are saying. Who cares about flex fuel. It's a cobra. Run it full time on 93 or whatever gas, or E85. It's not going to matter if it's E85 or E70. ere are tons of people on here running E85 tunes year round with no problems. I think You're creating more problems than you already have. My advice is to take the car to a shop that knows what they're doing. I guarantee you they'll figure out your problems before any SVT Forum will. Get a diagnosis, not an answer from a Forum

paulyboy928

Established Member
Wowwwww. Just read the entire thread...

Corbic, you sir, are one patient saint. Props to you for sticking with the build and trying to save a terminator.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
BES Racing in Indiana. Tony Bischoff owns and runs the place. I had him do my engine. They are top notch and good luck finding anything bad about them. Look him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread