Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I've been watching the drama unfold since post #1. Never thought it'd keep getting worse.

I'd say keep it and fix it, but I was in the same position with my build. There's more than enough chronicled in my build thread of all the crap I went through. I also wanted to light it on fire and roll it off a cliff numerous times. But you just keep on fixing and eventually it works itself out. (Disclaimer: Mine was a heap from the get-go, I knew it was flogged hard, and I didn't pay much for it.)

Just keep at it. It will be worth it, even if it doesn't seem like it now.

If you're out my way and need a hand let me know. I've already exorcised one cursed black new edge.

...or if you want to sell it I'm just that kind of masochist to go for round two. After all the previous battles I'm well equipped.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Stopped in on the way to work for gas.

Battery died.

d04e819efdae8cd572e6b94161ad1baa.jpg

Battery is only 6 months old.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
You don't leave that plugged in all the time do you?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Prolly.

Needed a Jump at work to leave.

At cruise it’s like 14.0

But sitting at idle it dropped to 13.5

View attachment 1439027
Been 45 years since I worked in the battery lane at Sears but I'm not sure alternator tech has changed that much. I recall that the alternator output was not the same at idle.

I can't remember what I had for lunch so I could be wrong. Plus weed may or may not have been involved in this 11th grade recollection.

speedoflife

Established Member
No, but I did have a USB charge thingy in the arm rest that apparently had a blue light....
Parasitic drain shouldn't kill it at a gas station though... especially if the battery had already proven itself started fine earlier in the morning.

I know you don't like this answer, but I've had issues my Cobra not starting a lot this summer. It came down to a crappy ground down near the oil filter and/or my battery terminals - I don't know what fixed it but it was strictly connection-related. I know you've had intermittent electrical issues before. My alternator doesn't perform any better than yours, and it's fine. A 6 month old battery could be bad, but it's unlikely. Unfortunately, finding the culprit is the hard part.

I've also had an 8 month old Redtop go south on me (it didn't sit for 8 months obviously), and I would have sworn it was anything but the battery. Warranty replacement and all was well though....

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm Back!

Never left actually.

Fixed the voltage drain issue. New Battery, Big-3 and connectors. Car still runs like shit.

I'm looking at doing a complete revamp of the car. Pull the engine, refresh with forged pistons and new bearings. Clean out the S/C and likely reinstall every thing with 1000cc injectors, return fuel with flex fuel and a MS3 Stand Alone. Hopefully all before Mustang Week '18.

Quick few questions -

Pull From Above or Drop Out? I only have a cherry picker.

Aluminum Block or Iron? With new pistons I'll need block work, I was thinking of going aluminum (Teksid, WAP or Aluminator) and punching it out +0.020. It's a 70lb savings. However, I'm open to staying with an Iron Block as well. I'd likely still be getting a new block since I can do that in tangent of pulling and stripping the current engine.

Anything else I should be thinking about or know? Machine Shop recommendations in the Indiana/Michigan/Chicago area?

pwrshft99

Established Member
I'm Back!

Never left actually.

Fixed the voltage drain issue. New Battery, Big-3 and connectors. Car still runs like shit.

I'm looking at doing a complete revamp of the car. Pull the engine, refresh with forged pistons and new bearings. Clean out the S/C and likely reinstall every thing with 1000cc injectors, return fuel with flex fuel and a MS3 Stand Alone. Hopefully all before Mustang Week '18.

Quick few questions -

Aluminum Block or Iron? With new pistons I'll need block work, I was thinking of going aluminum (Teksid, WAP or Aluminator) and punching it out +0.020. It's a 70lb savings. However, I'm open to staying with an Iron Block as well. I'd likely still be getting a new block since I can do that in tangent of pulling and stripping the current engine.

Anything else I should be thinking about or know? Machine Shop recommendations in the Indiana/Michigan/Chicago area?

I'm also in Chicagoland area. Check out DSS, they might not be a huge name in the modular world but they have been around for years. Last I knew, they offered lay-a-way on their engines!

gt347mustang

Established Member
I'm Back!

Never left actually.

Quick few questions -

I'd say fix the issues you have before digging yourself a deeper hole.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Alum block. Clean up hone, no need to go .020 over just weakens the sleeves. Make sure you have someone comfortable with Mega Squirt if you go that way. You'll need to be comfortable wiring as they do not have a plug and play harness and you will be doing all the wiring. I'd go with a fore setup, Myself, Malcom and 04Sleeper are all dealers and can help you with that when the time comes. Malcom also has experience with Mega Squirt.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Salt the bones and burn it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Just saw this for the first time and I spit out my drink.
I hate to write this, but I have to...kind of. This is like the scenario where the woman keeps going back to the guy that is either cheating on her or beating her. She cant seem to move on.
Guess which one is which?
All kidding aside, I would find a good aluminum block and bump compression. I only run e85, so that isn't an issue. I'd also address wiring issues and not worry about going to a stand alone as that just introduces a ton of other potential wiring issues. Stand alone isn't necessary for what you are doing. Just my opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread