Just tell me you got it. That's all. Chime in.

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
I do, in technical terms, the car is just pissed off about haveing one of those yellow gas mileage upshift arrows! If you shift with the arrow, YOU WILL GET THE CLUNK!! If you shift above 2k rpms, mabee a little higher for 5th, YOU WILL HAVE NO CLUNK!!!

DSGsnake

Established Member
clunk

Sure, many mechanical problems can be driven "around". But that is B.S. What do all these folks get paid to do at Ford when they are tasked to develop and release the SVT Cobra? Put out a car that has a major flaw in the drivetrain and requires 90% of the buying population to bitch and discuss a way of modifying their "normal" driving style to accomodate the flaw? I don't think so...I would be most pleased to see a fix from Ford. Hard Stop.
Don't get me wrong. I love our '03 Cobra and '01 Lightning. Bring on the challengers - we'll test 'em and smoke 'em. Factory support is key.

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Re: clunk

Originally posted by DSGsnake
Sure, many mechanical problems can be driven "around". But that is B.S. What do all these folks get paid to do at Ford when they are tasked to develop and release the SVT Cobra? Put out a car that has a major flaw in the drivetrain and requires 90% of the buying population to bitch and discuss a way of modifying their "normal" driving style to accomodate the flaw? I don't think so...I would be most pleased to see a fix from Ford. Hard Stop.
Don't get me wrong. I love our '03 Cobra and '01 Lightning. Bring on the challengers - we'll test 'em and smoke 'em. Factory support is key.

Your right, it is a mechanical problem, along with several others in this car, but it is a design flaw in the original mustang and SVT has to use that to make the cobra. If you put the shoe on the other foot and you are SVT and Mr. Colette (however you spell his name.) comes to you and says "I want you to take the mustang ($26k) put a supercharged dohc 4.6 liter cast iron engine with forged internals (hand built) and our special heads ($12k plus $3k supercharger). Also add IRS, traction control, Macpherson shocks and struts, twin piston caliper brakes, 13 front and 11 rear brembro rotors, machined aluminum 17x9 wheels, leather interior, raceing pedals, six disc in dash changer, indigo guage cluster, six way power lumbar driver seat, aluminum driveshaft, intercooler, bigger injectors, larger diameter exhaust and redesigned hood, spoiler, air dam, and rear bumper and it will go for $35k." Do you think that it could be done better? That question is not a slam, because I don't know for sure if it can.

I know that you know all that stuff but I wrote it all out because when you look at it, that is alot of expensive sh$t to add to the car along with the costs of r&d. They probably would have liked to have fixed this clunk, but it would probably have ment they would have to redesign the rear differential or something and the car would cost more.

The cobra has several cost cutting shortcuts in it, but you get a car which it's performance standards are incredible for a price that some blue collar people can afford.

Try to go to Germany and ask any dealer there "What model of yours has 400 hp with good handleing and the stuff listed above?"... "They will tell you "Sure we have that, but it will cost you eighty large!"

That is why I bought this car. When I first read about it I was like that is impossible for that price! I seriously doubt if Ford even makes any money off of these cars.

You are totally right, but if you look at it from that perspective, to me it is more than worth it.

Sorry for takeing this thread waayy off course, but I find this point interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread