Kill the new GTO

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful
Harry, I couldn't agree with you more about the potential of the 03 Cobra. That's why I'm getting one! I wasn't putting down the Cobra, just saying that the Z06 (actually the LS1 based motors) isn't the POS that a lot of people on here think.

Oh, I love Z06's. They look great, they sound great, they handle great...but they are too expensive. For somebody that wants to buy a house in a few years, I'll stick with something that has real-world performance for far less.

I know someone specifically in town that has a family, a house, and a Z06...and is about to lose it all because of the note on the Z06. He refuses to give it up. Sad. :(

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
NastyWS6

I agree!!!

I wish they would have opt for a different name for that oversized Grand AM!

They are making the mistake that thank God Ford avoided when they were going to call the Probe Mustang!!!!!

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Ford could go the N/A with Modular Motor very very easy...

The reason the went F/I??....The incredible results and pulicity the Lightning was making...If they wanted too they could use the FR500 Motor, The Cobra R motor, or the new 5.4 3-Valve, But why do all that when if you add 2 and 2 together you get an AWESOME combination...the 4.6 DOHC S/C. Yes that motor combination has been tested for years(Mach III) but the Lightning paved the way...realiable(Stock,not 16+ Psi) and Cheap Easy Power.

As far as GM's LS1 yes its one of the best flowing motors...but they did indeed update it(LS6)...and that is what is going to power the New Vettes, with the Z06 supposedy getting a 6.0. The "LS1" has reached its peak...hence the Z06 getting the LS6...Which is the same motor, jsut revised and getting a new name. If the LS1 was so great then why not carry it on to the new Vettes? Well because the LS6 is better. But its a stupid arguement because they are the same MOTOR...its like comparing the 99-01 Cobra motor to the Mach 1 Motor...its the same thing just the Mach 1 is Motor revised..better.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Cobra03, I personally don't think the GTO looks bad. No its design is not striking or retro as some may have wanted but its design isn't going to upset many people. Granted GM could and should have done more to set this car apart from the Monaro but they did their cost cutting and this is whats left. On the inside its really a nice car I can't stress that enough. Its light years ahead of F-bodies, Vette's, Mustangs, and Vipers. Usually this kind of interior style and quality would only be found comming from Germany. Hopefully GM will make something of this GTO come 06 for the redesign, heck maybe a Chevelle could spring up too.

FearBlueR1, As I think this has already been discussed the LS6-LS1's are not outdated or unsophisticated. They are as current and viable as any Ford modular motor, if not more so.
When I said supercharging wasn't GM cup of tea, I ment on V8's. Guess I shoulda been more clear on that. Yes they super and turbocharge their V6's but never the V8's and especially not in performance cars. Why??? Not sure but to do it right they woulda had to do it the way Ford/SVT did with the Lighning and Cobra, build the internals. Now maybe because GM doesn't have a team like SVT working with small volume sales. But again thats not what GM seems to be wanting to do. Because if they did the Vette woulda got a blower, and well it didn't. Sure its hard to package but not impossible.

SVTBlackBelt, Actually GM isnt going to carry the LS1 or LS6 into the C6. Look for a variant of the LS motor. Who knows what name or layout they will use. Rumors run rampant about power and displacement so no need to speculate other than to say it will be stronger than the current motors. Does that make the LS1-LS6 engines obsolete or outdated I don't think so. Its just these are variations made for more power.

In the end I'm a fan of both the Camaro and Cobra, I like the GTO and hope it does well. I'm looking to get an 03 Cobra not becuase its a better car, because in my mind it isn't. But the motor while no better or worse than a LS1 IMO, does have the factory blown setup and forged internal parts capable of hitting my performance goals with ease. Do do this in my LS1 I'd have to make some comprimises that I'm not willing to make. I'd like a street car capable of running upper 11's @120+ mph. To do this in my LS1 while certainly not impossible I'd have to do some major modding and really alter the car.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
SS concept

Was watching motortrend on TV the other day and they showed an SS concept car...looked like a one off F-body car..2 door...and get this a "430 hp" 5.7 engine. Looks to me they're contemplating "catch-up". The GTO is a joke..It's an Australian built car....They should have used the Opel platform....

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful
Harry, I couldn't agree with you more about the potential of the 03 Cobra. That's why I'm getting one! I wasn't putting down the Cobra, just saying that the Z06 (actually the LS1 based motors) isn't the POS that a lot of people on here think.

Ooops...sorry buddy....I think I need to take a pill or something :D

Harry

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Originally posted by 2k2ss
stock FORGED internals!! and they did have to change the block remember the recall? and gm could'nt put a blower on an f-body because it won't fit under the hood or cowl of a fourth gen body! the forged internals are why a cobra motor cost's 12 grand and an ls1 cost's 7grand! no flame and not trying to start anything!! hell i'm thinking about an 03 cobra myself!!!!!:beer:

No prob...I get a bug up my ass once in awhile....with all the people out there thats say things about the new cobra and have no clue.....

Hot Rod(the 03 Cobra never had a recall on blocks)Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
No recalls at all as a matter of fact......you will love the 03 or 04 Cobra. Mod for mod ..you cant beat it in a brand new car.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue
NastyWS6

I agree!!!

I wish they would have opt for a different name for that oversized Grand AM!

They are making the mistake that thank God Ford avoided when they were going to call the Probe Mustang!!!!!

Oh man...I remember that...and it was us Mustang nuts that did away with that and made Ford keep the current mustang 5.0 they had.....Ford Listened to us...GM doesnt listen..they just want money money money...

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Re: SS concept

Originally posted by jshen
Was watching motortrend on TV the other day and they showed an SS concept car...looked like a one off F-body car..2 door...and get this a "430 hp" 5.7 engine. Looks to me they're contemplating "catch-up". The GTO is a joke..It's an Australian built car....They should have used the Opel platform....

It appears you're misinformed. Yes the GTO is based on an Australian car, the Holden Monaro. You do realize that's GM right? They use LS1 based motors for their vehicles. Of course those lucky bastards have 410hp variants at their whim. I'd love to get my hands on an HSV GTS. The GTO DOES us an Opel platform. Same as was used for the Cadillac Catera.

Harry, no problem! BTW, it's guys like you that swayed my decision to get an 03 Cobra. :beer:

2000-S6

Established Member
i wish that gm did not kill off the fbody, but that argument has been beat to all hell...
i'm glad the gto is here, because its rwd, and it's a v8
however, i don't quite know where it is going to fit, from a marketing perspective, besides just having four "real seats"?

i don't think the gto is a direct response to the 03 cobras, due to the power disadvantage (otherwise, gm screwed themselves royally)

it seems like gm no longer wants to compete in the cobra class, as if it is just letting ford have this market

however, ford does not have the sports car market ($50-90K) (handling, weight, weight distribution, etc. of the z06, c6, etc.) obviously, this is assuming the Ford GT is over 100K

i guess, unfortunately, both companies have their own priorities...

having an fbody, and loving cobras too..i'm just happy that gm did not kill off the whole program! how bored will it be if you guys just chased around rx-8's, 350Z's, and SRT-4's???

Last edited:

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03
Kudos for bringing it back.

Jeers for making it look like a Cavalier.

The styling guys really blew it. This could have been a great car. Really a shame. There is more to a name like GTO than a nice engine.

Isn't that the truth!

New22003

Established Member
I think of it as more in competition wih GM's own Monte Carlo than anything else. Same seating, same styling ques, not too sporty. I have always thought the new Monte is one ugly car and not deserving of the Monte name. The GTO isnt as ugly as the Monte, will seat as many people in comfort, and at least it will be a decent performer. It will be the family guy who cant justify a 2+2 buying it probably. If I was a dad Id rather haul my family around in the GTO than a Monte Carlo any day.

New22003

Established Member
Now that I posted the pics it actually reminds me a whole lot of a Dodge Stratus in size and styling. It looks like they stole the stratus windows.

BAD03SVT

Established Member
that is like the ugliest car i have ever seen. it does look like a blown up Saturn lol. GM might has well go to :sleeping: for this next round. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread