Late (at night) FedEx delivery... anyone else have this happen

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Fedex ground guys are contractors (They own their routes and are paid by the box as well as monthly for expenses).

Really? i've never heard of anything like that before

The fact that he had a rental truck says to me that his truck broke at some point during the day and he had to rent a truck, transfer everything from truck to truck, then finish his day. Probably took a while to do all that, hence being late

that's what i was also thinking. it's a little odd for a fedex guy to be driving a budget truck

jbes3

Established Member
All our FedEx ground trucks seem to be Budget trucks. The guy today was a different one, in a different Budget truck. I have walked a mile in their shoes, and don't understand why it was so dang late. Oh well, I got what I needed. Like I said, I would have liked a heads up. If it were Thursday, I would have been in bed already for an early day at work Friday.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Fedex drivers work harder, they are not BS union dicks like UPS. End of day bell rings at UPS and they clear out, fedex works until they finish their jobs like true Americans.... but in this day and age, who knows....

Wow. check facts much? You couldn't be more wrong.
I worked there for 5 years in the late 90s - in management, not union. UPS drivers stay out until they finish their route. They may be union, but they earn their wages. Let's see you deliver packages at an ass-busting rate in 105 degree heat with no AC in the truck -- or in -15 degree winter weather with an anemic heater.

At Christmas time, the company empties the entire system on Dec 24th, just to ensure that everyone has their packages for Christmas.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Let's see you deliver packages at an ass-busting rate in 105 degree heat with no AC in the truck -- or in -15 degree winter weather with an anemic heater.

I do, every weekday. :-D

Everyone in this thread bitching needs to chill the F out.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Had UPS deliver something past 11, but it's always the same guy, and he cuts the engine and coasts into the driveway and makes it around the circle and back out, everytime. Pretty friendly awesome dude, should be able to tip em.

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
Fedex ground guys are contractors (They own their routes and are paid by the box as well as monthly for expenses). The fact that he had a rental truck says to me that his truck broke at some point during the day and he had to rent a truck, transfer everything from truck to truck, then finish his day. Probably took a while to do all that, hence being late

What he said. The fedEX ground guy that comes to my work seems to allways have truck problems and has the rental truck a lot.

lvgolfer962

Established Member
I do, every weekday. :-D

Everyone in this thread bitching needs to chill the F out.

agreed, i do it every weekday as well:beer:. i love people that think that ups, fedex, and all delivery drivers have easy jobs and get paid to much lol. if i could find another job that paid me 70% of what i make now i would quit tonight

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
was this fed ex ground? I was a driver for fed ex express. We were required to attempt every package. No one went home until every package was attempted, it made the job easier on all of us. With that being said, the latest I ever attempted a delivery was about 7 pm. If ts fed ex ground they pretty much do whatever they want.

This. I was a driver for Fedex express as well and we were required to attempted a delivery for every package on our truck.

Depending on the schedule I didn't always load my own truck and some days I had to do two routes if someone called in sick. I had an out of town route and there were some days I didn't get back to the station until LATE when I had a lot of freight. Sure it sucks it was late but at least they delivered it. It doesn't mean they were being lazy :poke:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
agreed, i do it every weekday as well:beer:. i love people that think that ups, fedex, and all delivery drivers have easy jobs and get paid to much lol. if i could find another job that paid me 70% of what i make now i would quit tonight
+1

But our jobs are easy, all we do is "ride around". :rollseyes

jbes3

Established Member
I never said that UPS, FedEx or other delivery guys had it easy. If it's that tough and you didn't like it, you probably would have quit by now. I know there were many days when I was working as a preloader at UPS that I wanted to walk out, but I kept on pluggin along. The only reason I quit was to come into the military.

5point0guy

Established Member
UPS and FedEx always deliver around the same time in my neighborhood, usually between 12:00-3:00PM.

I was a driver helper last holiday season and the guy I was delivering with said the only time they work late is the holiday season. He told me a few times he was delivering packages at 10:00-11:30 at night. The rest of the year he gets off on time or even early. Basicaly he's done when the truck is empty.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
id rather have a package delivered late at night vs the next day at who knows when. Especialy if i was waiting to use whatever it was being delivered. I had a package come in late around 10pm once. Was thinking it would be next day before i got it, but when it showed-up i was so excited and went out to the garage and put it right on then car.
+1

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never had UPS deliver after 5:30 PM but once had a FedEx delivery around 8PM. Never heard of a delivery at 10PM. Wonder what the absolute latest has been with FedEx if the driver can't go home until his truck is empty. I would have to believe there is some time limit, regardless of whether or not he still has packages in his truck.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Fedex drivers work harder, they are not BS union dicks like UPS. End of day bell rings at UPS and they clear out, fedex works until they finish their jobs like true Americans.... but in this day and age, who knows....

+1... i wouldnt complain, i want my package, and it sucks when you have to wait tillt he next day when your at work and cant sign for it..!

goodjob FEDEX!

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I'd rather have it late one day instead of the next day, but that's just me lol.

Also aslong as it's delivered in perfect shape I'm happy

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
I was awaiting my new clutch cable and quadrant that was out for delivery on the truck yesterday morning when I checked as I woke up (7AM). YAY! I thought I would have it around dinner time... That time came and went, watched some movies with my wife, tucked in my daughter, took a shower.....

Then, at about 10PM, my dogs are growling and my doorbell rings... IT'S FEDEX! Delivering my package. WTF? Anyone else ever get anything so late? Do they not have set hours for delivery?

I would be happy that a company felt the need to deliver my package, regardless of whether it was 7pm or 10pm... on the other hand I could see how that could be perceived as inconsiderate.

That poor guy was on the road from 7am, so cut him some slack, and realize the amount of work they`re doing.
I was a supervisor for UPS for a few years in college, I saw someone posted about drivers doing 100-150 stops... around here they were lucky to get less than 250.

Think about offering your UPS guy some tips every now and then, especially if he goes above n beyond. Most of them definitely earn their paychecks... trust me.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I've never had UPS deliver after 5:30 PM but once had a FedEx delivery around 8PM. Never heard of a delivery at 10PM. Wonder what the absolute latest has been with FedEx if the driver can't go home until his truck is empty. I would have to believe there is some time limit, regardless of whether or not he still has packages in his truck.

This is true, I worked for ups for the past 6 years, I was a manager not a driver but I belive the drivers normally work long days but not that long unless a cover route with a disorganized truck or holidays,otherwise there supervisor usually sends another truck to help speed it up if the driver falls behind, or the supervisor usually has to come help if not but im sure cuttoff is 10-12 @ night being guys punch in @ 6-8am, soon as they work certain amount of overtime they dont wanna pay it lol

jbes3

Established Member
I would be happy that a company felt the need to deliver my package, regardless of whether it was 7pm or 10pm... on the other hand I could see how that could be perceived as inconsiderate.

That poor guy was on the road from 7am, so cut him some slack, and realize the amount of work they`re doing.
I was a supervisor for UPS for a few years in college, I saw someone posted about drivers doing 100-150 stops... around here they were lucky to get less than 250.

Think about offering your UPS guy some tips every now and then, especially if he goes above n beyond. Most of them definitely earn their paychecks... trust me.

As I stated, I worked at UPS prior to joining the military and I worked my ass off out there delivering, in the back, preloading, unloading (thanks Tupperware! LOL), staying after, etc.... I know how it is. It really isn't the worst job in the world, you work and get paid pretty well.

We never were out that late and my point to the whole post is that the time was out of normal delivery hours, if FedEx has any. From reading these posts, it seems like they don't. As far as tipping the driver, I always hook up my driver and USPS driver at Christmas. I don't use UPS as much, but my normal driver is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread