Latest Boss Info

Fourcam330

Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
Fine, you all want a hugh CI aluminum block motor. Ford needs to go back to WWII and resurrect this beast (the GAA), even thought it wouldn't fit in a mustang anyways. It was originally intended to be a V-12 aircraft engine (hence the aluminum block) but was cut down to eight cylinders for use in tanks. At 1100CID and double overhead gear shaft driven cams this thing is a monster. Even though dimensionally it isn't much larger than a 460 due to it being a 60deg V instead of 90deg. I believe it was rated at over 1000lb-ft of torque anywhere above 900RPMS and tops out at about 500HP at 2600RPMS with the stock cams and intake. As the pics show it has been modified now to accept 3 4-barrel carbs and even twin 6-71 Blowers. Don't know what those modified versions are making for power but I'm sure its acceptable :)

Neat find!

Fourcam330

Established Member
eichisama said:
Fourcam, how much of a dome is there really on the 2v, 3v, and 4v motors? Any idea on the new 5.8L motors?

When it comes to a 4.6 or 5.4 (even when going big bore) the largest valves you can use without further shrouding are 37/32mm or the standard seat/valve size for GT500/GT/R heads. The exhaust side needs more help than the intake, and because of this Al crammed a set of 33mm valves in his old big port Navi heads (maybe 4 years ago?). Keep in mind these heads had more hours into them than some complete cars, but it did make impressive power (~500rw) despite not using GT/R/GT500 castings. Also keep in mind that it's around $1000 to swap valve seats (OE replacement or +1,+2mm) in a set of 4v heads.
Looking at a 3v head you'll see that the intake valves are pushed far to the sides of the chamber, shrouding the hell out of them--going larger will only worsen the situation. Again, the exhaust needs more help than the intake in this application. Per the design of the chamber, you can clearly see this is an emissions based design, performance was definitely an afterthought.
On a bit of a rant...It cracks me up that some (new story in 5.0) would say that 3 is the new 4 pertaining to valve count/performance. Anyone with any knowledge at all knows that the power adder (in this case PD blower) determines how much hp/tq an engine will make. Using forced induction motors in such an example, is assinine and pathetic. Long live the Modular 4v.
As for the Boss motors, I really can't say yet. With the type of power figures Fords going to need to hit to be competitive (ie it's just been confirmed that the '09 SRT8s will all use 6.4L/500HP+ Hemi's) I'm sure valve/seat size will be sufficient from the factory.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Check these out, and you thought Modulars were large/heavy...

It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.

The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Pics...

Crank:

rta96c_crank.jpg

Piston/Rod:

rta96c_piston.jpg

Cylinder Liners/Head Studs:

rta96c_cyldeck.jpg

Complete 12 Cylinder Engine:

rta96c.jpg

More pics and info here:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Actually that's just a normal size motor and those are really, really small mechanics. Love the HP peak...102 rpm. That thing really screams. (Plow?...doesn't it come in aluminum?) If Ford built one that size the "tick"..."ping" and "piston slap"...would be unbearable....and the rod bearings would go right after the warranty ran out. (I couldn't resist :poke: ...sorry.)

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I'd hate to be standing there when a rod vented that block :eek: :burn:

Fourcam330 said:
Neat find!

Yeah if only I could truly "find" one since they only produced something like 26,000 of them. Maybe someday, it would make for a very interesting project at least.

Last edited:

LeadSled1

Established Member
With the continually higher RPMs motors are turning maybe it is time we start using gear reducers on the engines output prior to the transmission instead of in the rearend of vehicles? Why spin a transmission input at 9K rpms when you can spin it at 2,195 RPMs with a 4.10:1 reduction? This will save synchros and also slow down driveshaft speeds.

Fourcam330

Established Member
SID297 said:
It's had to believe that that thing can be more efficient than a diesel turbine considering it's size.

I'd have to agree. I'm guessing they like the 5.6 million lb/ft of TQ.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
To scale, that's roughly 1,080 lb/ft on a 302 (based on tq per cubic inch). And only 21 hp? That's what I came up with.

That engine is 5,152 times larger than a 302 ci engine.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
19COBRA93 said:
To scale, that's roughly 1,080 lb/ft on a 302 (based on tq per cubic inch). So that thing's still putting out some power even for it's size.

Don't forget that it's a turbo diesel.

Fourcam330

Established Member
SID297 said:
I few turbines with electric motors would seem to accomplish the same task.

Maybe they subscribe to the "Turn the key, kill a tree, stomp the floor, kill some more" way of thinking? :D :p

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
ALLNTRL said:
What about the Boss 351 V10 prototype that Ford did a few years ago and had on display at the 40th Anniversary at Nashville? :shrug:

^^^^^^^^Very Cool!!^^^^^^^

Probably would not meet federal certifications......but it sounded great!!

R

Users who are viewing this thread