Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If it's a 5.2 with tvs I just want to know how it's supposed to pass Fords durability testing at 700+ hp.

Sure you can create the power but add in the epa regs and durability standards Ford needs and it a entire new game.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If it's a 5.2 with tvs I just want to know how it's supposed to pass Fords durability testing at 700+ hp.

Sure you can create the power but add in the epa regs and durability standards Ford needs and it a entire new game.

Individual cylinder knock detection/mitigation wouldn't surprise me a bit.

DepWraith

Established Member
I agree with Clemson on the TT 5.0. Can't say for sure on the hp numbers, but sounded about right at 750/700. During development they got 898 rwhp on their first pull at 16 psi., so it all depends on how much boost they will decide on. Oh yeah...this was with 62mm turbos, which will spool nicely with the new 10 speed auto I imagine.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I hope it's a supercharged V8. That would most fit with what I think that car's target audience wants. I'd be fine with a TT application as well, just as long as it isn't that stupid little V6 nonsense they ruined the Raptor with.

The new Raptor would run circles around the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I agree with Clemson on the TT 5.0. Can't say for sure on the hp numbers, but sounded about right at 750/700. During development they got 898 rwhp on their first pull at 16 psi., so it all depends on how much boost they will decide on. Oh yeah...this was with 62mm turbos, which will spool nicely with the new 10 speed auto I imagine.

Says the guy that said it was supposed to be revealed by now. Just saying.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Per my contact in the plant. 5.2L Cross plane crank, blower, over 700HP Nothing earth shattering. just watching and waiting. COME on Ford tease us like Dodge did on the Demon!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
"EcoBoost also endured Ford’s standard engine durability test signoff. Back in the dynamometer lab, the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 went back up to full revs – and maximum turbo boost – for a real endurance test. This time the duration was a bit longer – 362 hours at full throttle. That’s like running the 24 Hours of Daytona for more than 15 days straight.
Other tests subjected EcoBoost to a grueling range of operating temperatures."

Running a 5.0 or 5.2 with blower and making 700+ hp can be done but can it last running max rpms straight for 360 hours at that power level?

Last edited:

DepWraith

Established Member
Says the guy that said it was supposed to be revealed by now. Just saying.

Obviously there's been a delay, happens all the time. I'd rather they wait and get it right even though I'm dying to get one.

Side Note: If you don't believe me, don't worry, I won't lose any sleep over it and I guess we will see in the end.

redlineit

Established Member
A former Ford engineer (who saw what was coming by the time he left in August 2015) posted these responses about the upcoming GT500 on another board.

Originally Posted by Competition Orange
"So more ZL1 vs GT350R?"

"Yeah definitely more the former, but turned up to 12. Exceptionally competent handling, but not a track weapon as it's main purpose. All around FAST everywhere all the time. ZL1, 911 Turbo, GT-R...you get the idea."

"It's a road car...it still has to be good on the road. They've tested it against cars like the GT3 extensively on the track and will continue to. It still has to be a good road car, and the GT3 is an exceptional benchmark for this. Ford doesn't just parade stuff around. Believe me, if the car is going out, it has a reason, and "confusing the auto paparazzi" isn't one."

This post was in response to the requests for GT500 specs from posters...

"It roars with greater than 8/7 a Hellcat from 22 cups. It shifts with the speed of a related supercar. It has lightweight materials in unusual places. It has rear tires the size of the bearing that Captain Marko Ramius gave Jack Ryan when they had a torpedo chasing them. It has light brakes that fill wheels the size of huge pizzas. It uses some 'screws' to do some cool things."

Skip

Clemson

Established Member
"It roars with greater than 8/7 a Hellcat from 22 cups. It shifts with the speed of a related supercar. It has lightweight materials in unusual places. It has rear tires the size of the bearing that Captain Marko Ramius gave Jack Ryan when they had a torpedo chasing them. It has light brakes that fill wheels the size of huge pizzas. It uses some 'screws' to do some cool things."

Skip
Horse sh1t. This alleged car would cost 6 figures base. No way Ford is building a 6 figure mustang.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm guessing some variant of the GT's v6 twin turbo with a 10 speed making around 630hp and 525 torque but noticeably faster than the 2013-14 gt500 due to serious weight loss.

A high 10 second car.

Or a supercharged 5.2.

V6 say it ain't so. Lol

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Makes sense to me. Shifts quick, so the 10 speed auto. GM is constantly comparing shift times of its auto to Porsche's PDK, so Ford can do the same. Wide rear tires makes sense. It has a new TVS blower, those are the screws. Light weight materials in unusual places, like a carbon radiator support? Light brakes; well even the GT350 brakes are somewhat light.

I certainly don't see the GT's 3.5EB. That motor huffs and puffs and sounds like a race car. I don't think Ford would see that as a good street car motor.

ZL1 turned to 12. So between 670 and 720hp, more than the last GT500 and hopefully a little more than the Hellcat.

Ford sees that people are willing to pay well into the 70's for a 526hp Mustang. So, base price of 79k? I'm sure people will pay if it's competent. It's even possible to lure some buyers from an M4 or C63 if they're willing to give up some interior quality for more power.

redlineit

Established Member
Makes sense to me. Shifts quick, so the 10 speed auto. GM is constantly comparing shift times of its auto to Porsche's PDK, so Ford can do the same. Wide rear tires makes sense. It has a new TVS blower, those are the screws. Light weight materials in unusual places, like a carbon radiator support? Light brakes; well even the GT350 brakes are somewhat light.

I certainly don't see the GT's 3.5EB. That motor huffs and puffs and sounds like a race car. I don't think Ford would see that as a good street car motor.

ZL1 turned to 12. So between 670 and 720hp, more than the last GT500 and hopefully a little more than the Hellcat.

Ford sees that people are willing to pay well into the 70's for a 526hp Mustang. So, base price of 79k? I'm sure people will pay if it's competent. It's even possible to lure some buyers from an M4 or C63 if they're willing to give up some interior quality for more power.

He was having fun obviously describing the specs, while still protecting his former co-workers at Ford that he is still in touch with "more than a handful with direct access/knowledge,..."

The "It roars with greater than 8/7 a Hellcat from 22 cups." No mystery there...I took that to mean over 800fwhp from a 5.2L (CPC he indicated elsewhere).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread