Legal advice; land dispute

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Gents, I'm scratching my head with this one, I'm appealing to the wisdom of the SVT gods...

Back in the spring of 2020, we sold our home. It was listed with the option of buying with 4 acres or 10. The land split was not to be completed until the buyer made their decision. This was supposed to be standard and not an issue.

The realtor firm represented both parties and a deal was struck for the house with 4 acres. Before closing, I forwarded the updated parcel description to our realtor and we closed on the house for 395k minus the land. This was a significant discount from the 435k asking but Covid was upon us and nobody knew what would happen next.

Several months later, I checked the county map and found that the deal went through for the entire 10 acres. Furthermore, the buyer's agent did not work with the appraiser and his bank that the sale was for 4 acres, not 10 acres. The buyer's bank wanted 20 k to satisfy the LTV requirements before releasing the land which is worth about 75k. The house reappraised for 379k, so 16k should have got the deal done.

Initially, the realtor firm was going to take care of all expenses but backed out. The buyer was working with us, but became irate and started to claim the land was his to neighbors. We filed a lawsuit, the discovery questions came back with the buyer accusing us of forging the property map in the purchase agreement (the 6 acres were crossed out and initialed). Also, they claimed the deal was always for 10 acres. We have lots of e-mails between him and I when he initially was trying to get the back to release the land and throughout it was clear that he didn't buy it.

It's 35k to go to court and hopefully win a recision action (we get the house back and hopefully 24k commission back from the realtor).

A settlement agreement was struck. The buyer insisted he must be paid 27.5k for his time and expense and would not budge. The realtor kicked in 15k and we also added 12.5 to the escrow. There is no confidentiality agreement as part of it.

In the beginning, prior to attorneys being involved my neighbor took the hay off the land as it was just a paperwork error. Afterward, the buyer claimed we stole the hay and now they'll release us from "trespassing and a felony" in exchange for the deal. It's now 18 months later and no crime has been reported to the sheriff's office.

Now it's been 3 months and the deal still isn't done. Our lawyer insisted there can be no deadlines and now I find out the buyer will be paid at closing in full before the land is transferred back rightfully to us. His attorney will do things like wait 5 weeks to respond to e-mails, I'm really starting to lose my patience here.

Since then, the buyer has pulled a permit to build a shop on his side so he obviously plans on staying and winning.

Our attorney has an agreement with us that from the moment the agreement is signed until we have the land back in our hands our fees are capped at $1000. At this point, I'm about $8000 in legal fees into this, so we'll be out a total of 20.5k to get our land back.

Option 1, stick with the summary agreement. Our attorney insists we stay with this option, said I have trust issues and I do at this point. Honestly, I'm kinda pissed our attorney got us this bad of a deal and can't get it done in a timely manner.

Once the land is back if ever, install no trespassing signs and a car horn that honks at 2 am (no neighbors close by but him). Maybe put up a sign for him and his wife to read along the busy highway.

Option 2, file the lawsuit (another 30k) and potentially lose (I don't know how) but not have to pay the buyer a dime and have him profit at our expense.

What would you do?

cobracide

Established Member
You're Attorney has failed you, look elsewhere. I would suggest a savvy and reputable attorney would take this up at no cost to you knowing you will win and his cut from the offenders is built in. You might end up suing everyone. So what. That is the way it is nowadays.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
How the realtor is not culpable in this situation is beyond me. Just finding a buyer is not the only responsibility of the realtor. Identify the terms of the sale is a top priority.

That is what you are paying for.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
How the realtor is not culpable in this situation is beyond me. Just finding a buyer is not the only responsibility of the realtor. Identify the terms of the sale is a top priority.

That is what you are paying for.
They are, but all you can do is sue.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Real estate agents carry errors and omissions insurance. Your agent failed and should be sued. Your attorney is incompetent and should be sued. It will take forever, but you should be able come out on top. Don't give up.

Your government is lying to you

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Find another attorney that’s a pit bull and sue everyone. Sounds like you’re in the right, spell it out in the suit of the damages and make them aware you’re in for the long haul (assuming here). Considering the amount of paperwork you have to back your claims I’d imagine they would be advised to eat the losses or potentially suffer a good bit more via trial.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Back in the spring of 2020, we sold our home.

His attorney will do things like wait 5 weeks to respond to e-mails

At this point, I'm about $8000 in legal fees into this, so we'll be out a total of 20.5k to get our land back.

Option 1, stick with the summary agreement. Our attorney insists we stay with this option, said I have trust issues and I do at this point. Honestly, I'm kinda pissed our attorney got us this bad of a deal and can't get it done in a timely manner.

Option 2, file the lawsuit (another 30k)

These hit a nerve with me. Your land has been taken from you almost two years ago. The realtors messed up. Someone should have obviously noticed the price discrepancy between the acreage. The home buyer was an innocent party but is going along with this nonsense. Screw all of them. You should be out for blood. I know you spent a lot already ,but you should speak with another attorney. Once you hire an attorney you should not have to talk with anyone else, especially not an attorney representing the guy with your property.

Also, it would seem like your attorney would have filed some kind of paperwork to prevent the homeowner from building anything on the land until this is resolved.

It’s sad that going to court for things like this has to cost so much.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

poorboy

Established Member
I am not a lawyer.

Based on what you said about them claiming fraud by you I would expect thing to get messy before things are done. It sounds like you say you have the documentation to back up your claim. I would recommend at the very least consulting with a different lawyer.

Given that the other party has threatened theft/trespass for hay harvested on disputed land your lawyer should have tried to work out usage rights until things are cleared up.

Since he has applied for build permit your lawyer should file for an injunction to stop that.

Your lawyer should add rent/usage payment request for the property until it is returned to you.

If you have detailed pictures or written description of the property at original sale ask for a 3rd party inspection and damage assessment done with any monetary awards to other party held until this is completed.

The way I see it the following parties should be involved in the suit:
1 Other Party
2 Other Party Mortgage holder
3 Title Insurance company
4 Both real estate agents(as individuals and their company)
5 Your lawyer will probably say No, but I would probably put the County in there as well so they don't try to hit you with interest on any back taxes that may not have been paid and/or stop the possibility of it from being sold out from under you again at foreclosure/tax sale

Good Luck! Document everything and do not talk them directly. Always do things through the lawyer.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
with no fault of your own, your entire team sounds like a failure.
I would without a doubt seek multiple other legal opinions at this point.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
What does the actual contract say that you signed and got paid for?

Users who are viewing this thread