Legal for no hood in NY (Leo's please reapond)

testorossa1989

Established Member
I have been doing some work and basically it's easier to keep my hood off for a week between spacers and tuning. Is it illegal in NY to rock no hood for a few days?

Sethsual

Established Member
As a former 911 dispatcher of five years, your best bet to get a solid yay/nay would be to call a substation (or 911) and speak directly to an officer in your area. That said, you may still get pulled over by another LEO if they have a different interpretation of the laws -- so, it'd be in your best interest to write down the name and/or badge number of whoever you speak with.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
As a former 911 dispatcher of five years, your best bet to get a solid yay/nay would be to call a substation (or 911) and speak directly to an officer in your area. That said, you may still get pulled over by another LEO if they have a different interpretation of the laws -- so, it'd be in your best interest to write down the name and/or badge number of whoever you speak with.

do NOT call 911 for this shit. if you were really a former dispatcher I am suprised you even suggested such a stupid thing.

Op - call the non-emergency phone number for your local precinct. Calling 911 for something like this is beyond stupid. and in some jurisdictions will get you charged with a misdemenor.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member

Yes, call 911... when they say "911 what is your emergency" just ask them if you are required to have a hood on your car.

If all the equipment are operational in your vehicle, i.e. headlights, wipers, etc. I don't think it would be illegal. it isn 't here in IL as far as I know. Check with your locals.

Sethsual

Established Member
do NOT call 911 for this shit. if you were really a former dispatcher I am suprised you even suggested such a stupid thing.

Op - call the non-emergency phone number for your local precinct. Calling 911 for something like this is beyond stupid. and in some jurisdictions will get you charged with a misdemenor.
Nope, nope and nope. You're too narrow-minded and also providing misinformation.

Firstly, please notice my first recommendation was to call a substation directly if those numbers are made available. Secondly, I was one of a dozen dispatchers responsible for providing coverage to over half a million people. Even still, the non-emergency number was nothing more than another number for 911. Its true purpose was so that non-local entities could reach the dispatch center. It is like this is several jurisdictions, big and small. The same exact person answers the line, and in the same exact manner - "<Insert Location Here> 911. What's your emergency?" Calling 911 with a simple question will NOT get you charged with anything. No way, no how. That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard in regards to 911. In my fives years, I can honestly say that upwards of 60% of the calls I took were non-emergencies.

Abusing the system (I had several callers which would call 15-20 times or more in an evening) or calling in about things which do not exist (making false reports), however, will result in charges. Neither of these apply in the "Is my lack of a hood legal?" scenario.

Yes, call 911... when they say "911 what is your emergency" just ask them if you are required to have a hood on your car.
A better way to word it would be to ask if you may speak to an officer for clarification on a law. If the dispatcher is not also an officer, or if officers are not present at the dispatch center (the one I worked at rarely had officers on site), they'll gladly transfer your call to a substation.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
don't think I am the one providing misinformation there sport.

Delaware Man Charged for Abusing 911 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Chapter 5.21 MISUSE OF THE 911 OR EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM

10 Dumbest 911 Calls - Oddee.com (911, stupid calls)

from the SF PD website: The purpose of San Francisco's 911 Emergency Telephone System is to provide for the immediate response of police, fire, or medical personnel for emergency occurrences. To accomplish this, it is imperative that the calls received on 911 lines be restricted to those situations that require immediate dispatching of Police, Paramedic, or Fire Department personnel.

7 things you shouldn't bother 911 dispatchers about - The Week
it can also lead to charges in canada even :
911 | emo.gov.ns.ca

all of those contain cases where people were arrested for calling 911 without an emergency.

bottom line, I may be narrow minded but you are full of shit.

Nope, nope and nope. You're too narrow-minded and also providing misinformation.

Firstly, please notice my first recommendation was to call a substation directly if those numbers are made available. Secondly, I was one of a dozen dispatchers responsible for providing coverage to over half a million people. Even still, the non-emergency number was nothing more than another number for 911. Its true purpose was so that non-local entities could reach the dispatch center. It is like this is several jurisdictions, big and small. The same exact person answers the line, and in the same exact manner - "<Insert Location Here> 911. What's your emergency?" Calling 911 with a simple question will NOT get you charged with anything. No way, no how. That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard in regards to 911. In my fives years, I can honestly say that upwards of 60% of the calls I took were non-emergencies.

Abusing the system (I had several callers which would call 15-20 times or more in an evening) or calling in about things which do not exist (making false reports), however, will result in charges. Neither of these apply in the "Is my lack of a hood legal?" scenario.

A better way to word it would be to ask if you may speak to an officer for clarification on a law. If the dispatcher is not also an officer, or if officers are not present at the dispatch center (the one I worked at rarely had officers on site), they'll gladly transfer your call to a substation.

musclefan21

Established Member
In my fives years, I can honestly say that upwards of 60% of the calls I took were non-emergencies.

Those are ignorant people, either just don't know any better, high on something or drunk. We get that and those kind of people will always call the emergency line for non emergency stuff.

but you coming here and giving advise someone to call 911 to see if driving a car around with no hood is legal was not all that smart. Own up to it.

and yes, calling 911 for BS reasons is an arrest able offense...

Sethsual

Established Member
don't think I am the one providing misinformation there sport.

Delaware Man Charged for Abusing 911 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Chapter 5.21 MISUSE OF THE 911 OR EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM

10 Dumbest 911 Calls - Oddee.com (911, stupid calls)

from the SF PD website: The purpose of San Francisco's 911 Emergency Telephone System is to provide for the immediate response of police, fire, or medical personnel for emergency occurrences. To accomplish this, it is imperative that the calls received on 911 lines be restricted to those situations that require immediate dispatching of Police, Paramedic, or Fire Department personnel.

7 things you shouldn't bother 911 dispatchers about - The Week
it can also lead to charges in canada even :
911 | emo.gov.ns.ca

all of those contain cases where people were arrested for calling 911 without an emergency.

bottom line, I may be narrow minded but you are full of shit.

You only reinforced what I already said. You're now not only narrow-minded, you're also ignorant.

In the first link, the gentleman that was arrested was abusing the system by calling several times and requesting cigarettes and sexual favors from the dispatchers. Does that apply here? Hardly. That is, unless testorossa1989 is a drunken pervert with a smoking problem.

The second link you provided says "'Misuse of the 911 system' is a request for emergency response when no actual emergency exists..." So, following the logic of the link you provided, in order to misuse the 911 system, you must request a response without a real need. In layman's terms for you: Don't request that they come to your home, and you're not misusing the system. Furthermore, it goes on to say that if you actually do request they respond without a real need, you'll first be notified of the law about requesting medical assistance without a medical emergency. Not arrested.

The third link you provided serves no purpose whatsoever. Please refer to being narrow-minded and ignorant. If I linked to a site which listed crimes committed by officers themselves, would you then say that all officers are criminals? Sadly, I think you might. Their actual misuse of the 911 system, again, does not apply to the conversation at hand - a simple question in regards to a law.

Absolutely none of this has any bearing in the conversation of whether or not a hood is required by law, and whether or not it is okay to call 911 (with the ultimate goal of speaking with an officer) to seek clarification. It is like saying that speaking to a nurse about a medical condition is poor form. "Why not call the doctor directly?" -Because it's the nurse's job to screen the bullshit from the real shit, and then she can put you in touch with the doctor himself. Calling 911 to inquire about a LAW is not misusing the system. It's common sense, which you have proven time and time again that you lack.

Those are ignorant people, either just don't know any better, high on something or drunk. We get that and those kind of people will always call the emergency line for non emergency stuff.

but you coming here and giving advise someone to call 911 to see if driving a car around with no hood is legal was not all that smart. Own up to it.

and yes, calling 911 for BS reasons is an arrest able offense...
I never implied that only nutjobs call with non-emergencies. And yes, my advice is to to call 911 to try to talk to an officer about laws. "Asking Law Enforcement about laws is bullshit!" Nope. If they can't help you directly, they'll get you to someone else who can. It's their job. But, hey, what would I know? -It was only my job for half a decade. Please, tell me more about how I should have done it.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Guys,

I dont think its a war here. I wouldnt ever call a emergency line for something like this (non-emergency) I can simply just ask any officer in the town thats getting coffee or stop by the station and speak with any officers inside OR even check inspection rules/regulations for NYS inspections.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
since it is not smackdown I am not going to give your post the response it so richly deserves.

it is pretty obvious from your attitude about it that whoever you worked for didn't care. a LOT of departments do. and in spite your your loose inerpretation of what I posted (in some cases actual laws) you CAN be arrested for misuse of the 911 system. your blanket statement was flat out wrong.

(snipped )I never implied that only nutjobs call with non-emergencies. And yes, my advice is to to call 911 to try to talk to an officer about laws. "Asking Law Enforcement about laws is bullshit!" Nope. If they can't help you directly, they'll get you to someone else who can. It's their job. But, hey, what would I know? -It was only my job for half a decade. Please, tell me more about how I should have done it.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I suggest you read SVTP's rules.:nonono:

You only reinforced what I already said. You're now not only narrow-minded, you're also ignorant.

In the first link, the gentleman that was arrested was abusing the system by calling several times and requesting cigarettes and sexual favors from the dispatchers. Does that apply here? Hardly. That is, unless testorossa1989 is a drunken pervert with a smoking problem.

The second link you provided says "'Misuse of the 911 system' is a request for emergency response when no actual emergency exists..." So, following the logic of the link you provided, in order to misuse the 911 system, you must request a response without a real need. In layman's terms for you: Don't request that they come to your home, and you're not misusing the system. Furthermore, it goes on to say that if you actually do request they respond without a real need, you'll first be notified of the law about requesting medical assistance without a medical emergency. Not arrested.

The third link you provided serves no purpose whatsoever. Please refer to being narrow-minded and ignorant. If I linked to a site which listed crimes committed by officers themselves, would you then say that all officers are criminals? Sadly, I think you might. Their actual misuse of the 911 system, again, does not apply to the conversation at hand - a simple question in regards to a law.

Absolutely none of this has any bearing in the conversation of whether or not a hood is required by law, and whether or not it is okay to call 911 (with the ultimate goal of speaking with an officer) to seek clarification. It is like saying that speaking to a nurse about a medical condition is poor form. "Why not call the doctor directly?" -Because it's the nurse's job to screen the bullshit from the real shit, and then she can put you in touch with the doctor himself. Calling 911 to inquire about a LAW is not misusing the system. It's common sense, which you have proven time and time again that you lack.

I never implied that only nutjobs call with non-emergencies. And yes, my advice is to to call 911 to try to talk to an officer about laws. "Asking Law Enforcement about laws is bullshit!" Nope. If they can't help you directly, they'll get you to someone else who can. It's their job. But, hey, what would I know? -It was only my job for half a decade. Please, tell me more about how I should have done it.

musclefan21

Established Member

Lol. You still support that people should call 911 if they have questions about law, or wanna talk to a police officer.

1- why do we have a law out there for calling 911 for BS reasons is an arrest able offense?
2- why do we have NON EMERGENCY numbers? Could careless if it is the same person answering. 911 calls takes priority over non emergency calls. They cod be put on hold, or get a call back, etc.
3- 911 is invented for emergency purposes only. Show me the emergency in the OP's question.

you may be a dispatcher, but sir, you do not know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

ttk53

Established Member
Here is my take on calling 911,

Last year a Deer was hit in front of my house around 2am Driver just backed up and drove off.
1. I look up on the web the PA deer cleanup number, Get told it is a local road call the local PD.
2. Call local PD its 2AM and a small town, I get Recording to call State PD or 911 if emergency.
3. Call the State PD< office is like 5 min from house. They say to call 911 that's who does all of there dispatching
4. Call 911 tell them it isn't an emergency, They say ok we will send someone right out.
5. 15 min later officer shows up to make sure deer is clear of road and dead.
6. 15 min later road crew drive a huge front end loader up my road to pick up the deer.

So all in all I was told by my State PD to call 911 to have a deer removed

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
Here is my take on calling 911,

Last year a Deer was hit in front of my house around 2am Driver just backed up and drove off.
1. I look up on the web the PA deer cleanup number, Get told it is a local road call the local PD.
2. Call local PD its 2AM and a small town, I get Recording to call State PD or 911 if emergency.
3. Call the State PD< office is like 5 min from house. They say to call 911 that's who does all of there dispatching
4. Call 911 tell them it isn't an emergency, They say ok we will send someone right out.
5. 15 min later officer shows up to make sure deer is clear of road and dead.
6. 15 min later road crew drive a huge front end loader up my road to pick up the deer.

So all in all I was told by my State PD to call 911 to have a deer removed

That could be an emergency situation. . A deer in the middle of the road, obstructing the road. It could cause an accident. The view alone is disturbing to the kids. Again, I could see a dead deer in the middle of the road as an emergency. You called it because something needed to be done right then. Curiosity of a law, does not have to be answered right there and then. You could leave a message or call back at the regular times.

02SVTV6

Established Member
Why don't you google it and find out instead all this bs ^ about calling 911. You can find out all your state statutes online so don't be lazy.

Sethsual

Established Member
Curiosity of a law, does not have to be answered right there and then. You could leave a message or call back at the regular times.
That's why the dispatcher would transfer you. Duh. You're wrong, I'm right. Drop it. Let it die, FFS!!

testorossa, where in NY do you live?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That's why the dispatcher would transfer you. Duh. You're wrong, I'm right. Drop it. Let it die, FFS!!

testorossa, where in NY do you live?
things do not work in the big city the way they apparently do in your neck of the woods. you continued insistence that you are right, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, INCLUDING that of actual LEOs pretty much says that you are not correct.

from answers.com - a site I would believe over you.

Unfortunately, not every call to 911 is an emergency. Some callers are seeking information rather than help. Others are simply abusing the system. In fact, in every state, it's illegal to call 911 without an emergency.

from an article in POLICE Magazine:Equally harmful are callers who use the 911 system inappropriately for non-emergency situations. Some people report matters that require police attention but are not emergencies, such as automobile crashes without injuries or overnight burglaries. Others use the 911 system for non-essential information such as obtaining directions or checking on pick-up times for garbage. Some people call 911 and then ask to be transferred to another bureau within the police department, perhaps out of ignorance or because most companies do not charge for calls to 911. One off-duty officer was caught using the 911 system to avoid paying for calls to headquarters.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
The world would be a better place if we were all as wise as RDJ

Users who are viewing this thread