Legal for no hood in NY (Leo's please reapond)

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Kansas 911

Sedgwick County, Kansas 9-1-1 Emergency Communications...working for you

WHEN TO CALL 9-1-1

To report a medical emergency
To report a fire
To report a crime
To report any activity that is harmful to a person, animal or property
To report any suspicious activity that might result in harm to any person, animal or property.
WHEN NOT TO CALL 9-1-1

To report power outages (unless medical equipment depends on power) or for your call to be transferred to the power company.

To report downed tree limbs not presenting an immediate threat to life or property.

To report loud noises or other nuisances - especially during peak times, such as holidays

To report the use of legal fireworks

To receive driving directions.

To report power outages (unless medical equipment depends on power) or for your call to be transferred to the power company.

To report downed tree limbs not presenting an immediate threat to life or property.

To report loud noises or other nuisances - especially during peak times, such as holidays

To report the use of legal fireworks

To receive driving directions.

Ottawa County, Kansas > Emergency Management > EMS 911 Informatin

Read the bottom of the link above

Now what???????:kaboom::burn:

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
Take note i no way support calling a emergency line for something other then a emergency. I was looking for a clean cut answer and instead somehow started this whole heated topic.

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Take note i no way support calling a emergency line for something other then a emergency. I was looking for a clean cut answer and instead somehow started this whole heated topic. I since lost interest and will just go hoodless for the first week. Thanks everyone

:lol1: Sorry about the hijack. :beer:

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Here is my take on calling 911,

Last year a Deer was hit in front of my house around 2am Driver just backed up and drove off.
1. I look up on the web the PA deer cleanup number, Get told it is a local road call the local PD.
2. Call local PD its 2AM and a small town, I get Recording to call State PD or 911 if emergency.
3. Call the State PD< office is like 5 min from house. They say to call 911 that's who does all of there dispatching
4. Call 911 tell them it isn't an emergency, They say ok we will send someone right out.
5. 15 min later officer shows up to make sure deer is clear of road and dead.
6. 15 min later road crew drive a huge front end loader up my road to pick up the deer.

So all in all I was told by my State PD to call 911 to have a deer removed

I'm also in PA and the ONLY way to reach PD or fire in my locality is 911. Feels odd to dial 911 for a non emergency, but that is exactly what we are supposed to do short of walking into the precinct. I have lived in several areas where the only published number is 911.

Sent from my iHype5 using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm also in PA and the ONLY way to reach PD or fire in my locality is 911. Feels odd to dial 911 for a non emergency, but that is exactly what we are supposed to do short of walking into the precinct. I have lived in several areas where the only published number is 911.

really? this is assuming your location is accurate. there is ALWAYS a non emergency number.

CONTACT
Police Headquarters
750 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
EMERGENCY
NON-EMERGENCY

musclefan21

Established Member
Again it doesnt matter how they do business at his dispatch center, it is unlawful to call 911 for non emergency situations. We have arrested people for it.

Last edited:

darksrt

Established Member
Although this is entertaining and shows exactly why call takers and dispatchers OFTEN mislabel calls that are put out because they are not familiar with the law, I think it would just be safe just to not drive around with a hood OP. 9-1-1 is for emergencies...is that really so hard to understand?:shrug:

Last edited:

RustyNutz

Established Member
Take note i no way support calling a emergency line for something other then a emergency. I was looking for a clean cut answer and instead somehow started this whole heated topic.

No mention in the NYS V&T law, regarding the requirement of a hood.

I won't even comment on the suggestion of calling 911, for non-emergency reasons.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Although this is entertaining and shows exactly why call takers and dispatchers OFTEN mislabel calls that are put out because they are not familiar with the law, I think it would just be safe just to not drive around with a hood OP. 9-1-1 is for emergencies...is that really so hard to understand?:shrug:

Try reading the thread before you slam somebody.

darksrt

Established Member
Try reading the thread before you slam somebody.

I have, and understand what the former dispatcher is trying to justify and what is trying to be explained. what 911 can be used for and what can't be and so on. I just don't agree with 911 can be used as a general line. or should I re-read the thread again?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have, and understand what the former dispatcher is trying to justify and what is trying to be explained. what 911 can be used for and what can't be and so on. I just don't agree with 911 can be used as a general line. or should I re-read the thread again?

your post came off like it was slamming the OP for saying to call 911, not the former dispatcher. My original post said just that before I edited to NVM.

darksrt

Established Member
your post came off like it was slamming the OP for saying to call 911, not the former dispatcher. My original post said just that before I edited to NVM.

I should have been more clear. been up for 80 hours, work gravies and court.

woodstock93

Established Member
One time someone called 911 from my house and hung up the phone and the cops showed up at the house and said when that happens they have to respond. It happen about 7 or 8 years ago and I live in Suffolk NY.

Zemedici

Established Member
One time someone called 911 from my house and hung up the phone and the cops showed up at the house and said when that happens they have to respond. It happen about 7 or 8 years ago and I live in Suffolk NY.

:shrug:

K...........? ha

Users who are viewing this thread