lethal E85 tune

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
just ordered an E85 lopey tune and 47lb injectors from lethal. When it gets here i'll dyno the car. I really ordered it because there is an e85 station down the road from me and the car will be an in-town only car then.

Last edited:

assasinator

Established Member
i'm going to add cams and long tubes at some point. then the car will be done.

assasinator

Established Member
47 is what they recommended, so its what i bought. if i need bigger for cams and long tubes. ill get them i guess.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
If the car is just running bolt on's and staying N/A, 47 lbers are more than enough. Stock pump works fine in this application as well.

And thanks for the order, Bill! Jon should be finishing it up soon.

ViciousJay

Established Member
If the car is just running bolt on's and staying N/A, 47 lbers are more than enough. Stock pump works fine in this application as well.

And thanks for the order, Bill! Jon should be finishing it up soon.

Really? i thought that tuner from AED was making out with the sotck fuel system on E85 with 90's?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I can't remember what Shaun is using off the top of my head, but I am 100% sure 47 lb injectors are more than adequate.

Shaun@AED

After I ran out of injector on E85 with exhaust only, my debate was 47's or Injector Dynamics.
Although spendy, ID produces the highest quality injectors I've ever run across.
Since it's all about proper fueling, and we've seen what poor quality injectors can do to an engine, I sprung for a set of ID725's.

At this point I'm off the E85 kick though...

assasinator

Established Member
After I ran out of injector on E85 with exhaust only, my debate was 47's or Injector Dynamics.
Although spendy, ID produces the highest quality injectors I've ever run across.
Since it's all about proper fueling, and we've seen what poor quality injectors can do to an engine, I sprung for a set of ID725's.

im on the e85 'kick' to stay. i wont be running the other cars on E85, but i feel good about the cooling effects of alchohol in the cylinder. a little extra power never hurt anyone either.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
You should ask Lethal about the ID725 injectors. and forget about the #47's That way you won't have to worry about injectors for a while. CP-E makes a nice fuel hat. JPC sell them and a complete fuel system kit.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
What about spraying a 150 shot on top of it?

You will need more fuel volume from the pump to do that, and I'm not sure if just our Vortech pump booster will be enough on E85. To be on the safe side, I would recommend going with a pump upgrade, and we'll have pump housings available soon to make it all a bolt in affair.

D.T.R

Established Member

If upgrading injectors, I think it'd be worth the money to upgrade to IDs
I'm running ID2000s in my little Honda (also on e85) and I have never heard a single tuner complain about these injectors. Everyone loves... they idle better and you don't ever need a resistor box with them.

Shaun@AED

I'm curious. What changed your mind? I think I remember you mentioning something about not being optimal for cold weather starting. Is there anything else?

Cold start was a non-issue for me. The calibration changes I use for E85 on the coyote is pretty good.

The problems I have with it are:
1. Heat, or rather lack there of in an NA coyote. The cooler the combustion chamber temps, the less complete the burn on E85. This required fairly major fueling changes based on air temp and airflow. Short tems showed massive swings in fueling at the end of a 1/4 mile run....the chambers would actually cool too much by the end of a run due to the cold air and the cooling effect of E85. I distributed a 'base' correction file to those tuners I know do E85 tuning, but it will still require logging and tweaking with varying air temps.

2. Oil contamination... I couldn't believe how much fuel gets into the oil. The colder the motor, the worse it gets. It would take a 40+minute drive to get the crankcase temps hot enough to burn off all the Ethanol in the oil.
To combat this a tuner can target a crazy lean PT A/F ratio (like 16:1), but on the closed loop wideband feedback system these cars run, that's not as easy as one would think. There are ways to do it, but it means fairly severe tune changes. Instead I started looking into an oil additive to insure against bearing failure, but I didn't get very far. I decided to switch back to Gas for the winter and re-evaluate E85 when the air temps warm up.

Bud

Established Member
Cold start was a non-issue for me. The calibration changes I use for E85 on the coyote is pretty good.

The problems I have with it are:
1. Heat, or rather lack there of in an NA coyote. The cooler the combustion chamber temps, the less complete the burn on E85. This required fairly major fueling changes based on air temp and airflow. Short tems showed massive swings in fueling at the end of a 1/4 mile run....the chambers would actually cool too much by the end of a run due to the cold air and the cooling effect of E85. I distributed a 'base' correction file to those tuners I know do E85 tuning, but it will still require logging and tweaking with varying air temps.

2. Oil contamination... I couldn't believe how much fuel gets into the oil. The colder the motor, the worse it gets. It would take a 40+minute drive to get the crankcase temps hot enough to burn off all the Ethanol in the oil.
To combat this a tuner can target a crazy lean PT A/F ratio (like 16:1), but on the closed loop wideband feedback system these cars run, that's not as easy as one would think. There are ways to do it, but it means fairly severe tune changes. Instead I started looking into an oil additive to insure against bearing failure, but I didn't get very far. I decided to switch back to Gas for the winter and re-evaluate E85 when the air temps warm up.

What are your thoughts on PD blown applications running in warmer temps? I'm in the process of ordering ID1000's and the fuel system to flow enough E85 for hopefully mid 10's up here at 5kft elevation w/ a whipple 2.9. I'm only going to be running E85 during late spring, through summer, and possibly early fall.

After dealing with cold start issues (below zero weather up here) and really not needing more power during the colder months I'll be going back to gas for the rest of the year. Plans are to only run e85 at the track and on the street during summer months for added safety/cooling. Sounds like that might keep me from running into some of the issues you have been seeing with cold temps?

Shaun@AED

What are your thoughts on PD blown applications running in warmer temps? I'm in the process of ordering ID1000's and the fuel system to flow enough E85 for hopefully mid 10's up here at 5kft elevation w/ a whipple 2.9. I'm only going to be running E85 during late spring, through summer, and possibly early fall.

After dealing with cold start issues (below zero weather up here) and really not needing more power during the colder months I'll be going back to gas for the rest of the year. Plans are to only run e85 at the track and on the street during summer months for added safety/cooling. Sounds like that might keep me from running into some of the issues you have been seeing with cold temps?

I think a PD setup is the perfect application to run E85. I just wouldn't trail or it to the track and wait an hour between runs. Dive it there, let it cool between runs and drive it home to get all the fuel out of the oil.

ME32 runs E85 on his GT500. He swaps back and forth from 91 to E85.
He recently had his oil anylized and it didn't have any fuel contamination.
He has an ethanol anylizer and NGK wideband for purposes of monitoring. He drives it to/from the track. The only thing I'd change on his car is the 80lb injectors. ID1000's would be my choice on an 800RWHP E85 setup. (he makes 73x on a stock motor)

Bud

Established Member
I think a PD setup is the perfect application to run E85. I just wouldn't trail or it to the track and wait an hour between runs. Dive it there, let it cool between runs and drive it home to get all the fuel out of the oil.

ME32 runs E85 on his GT500. He swaps back and forth from 91 to E85.
He recently had his oil anylized and it didn't have any fuel contamination.
He has an ethanol anylizer and NGK wideband for purposes of monitoring. He drives it to/from the track. The only thing I'd change on his car is the 80lb injectors. ID1000's would be my choice on an 800RWHP E85 setup. (he makes 73x on a stock motor)

Right on, the car gets driven to the track and back home (hopefully it gets driven back home.) Summertime while running e85 my drive to work is 60+ miles each way so should burn it off. Combine that with frequent oil changes and hopefully all will be good.

Thanks for the info man

assasinator

Established Member
well, converted it over today. ran it down to about 1/4 gallon. put 5 gallons of E85 in it, drained the fuel rails. let it idle for a while before driving it, filled it up and drove it for 25 miles before getting on it the first time. changing the injectors took 25 minutes.

seat dyno says it has more torque. it is much quieter loping at idle. gets about 15mpg city. 20 highway. i like it.

Users who are viewing this thread