lets take a moment to bench race,(thinking about buying this car)

JJackson

Established Member
wasnt sure where to put this, if it is in the wrong section a mod can move it to the correct one.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 03 cobra that is semi local. it has not been dyno'd, nor been dnyo tuned. he did say it has a safe street tune on it. Anyways, He claims it should put down 600 to the wheels. the mods are kb 2.4, fulidyne heat exchanger, larger capacity blower coolant tank/icebox, copper plugs, kb boost a spark, kb boost a pump, steeda triax shifter, maximum motorsports 4 way CC plates, H&R race sprins, bilsteins on all 4 corners, cobra R wheels, 10" rims in back with 315 nittos, jba headers, upr off road X, magnaflow catback with custom black chrome tips, tinted tail's, max motorsports rear bumpsteer kit (full kit), rear adjustable sway bar links, aftermarket rear diff cover with deflection cap bolts, all syn fluids, kenne brown torque brace, BA2800 maf, C&L intake, 60lb injectors. (copied and pasted from a pm)

any truth to his claim, im a cobra noob ? it seems like a good deal for what he is letting it go for and ive been searching for a while now (not that this has anything to do with the original question)

Quick Strike

Established Member
I'd be worried about a "safe" canned tune combined with a 2.4 KB and 600 RWHP.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would care less about any claims of hp and be more concerned about the condition of the car. Based on the mod list you posted it appears they are sensible upgrades. With FI you can dial-in as much hp as you want as long as the fuel can tolerate the boost and has a safe tune. It's better to buy a car from someone who has not pushed the needle close to the red regarding hp output. 600 hp in that config is well within the capability of that set-up but any higher I would be looking at replacing the pistons and loosening up the "fit".

Talking to the owner can reveal much about how the car was cared for. If he starts to talk about 60' times and the car is wearing DR's chances are the car has seen a lot of drag racing which might discourage a perspective buyer.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with the two statements above, all them mods and a so called "safe" canned tune, I walk far far away! And a good price, hmmm.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Well, there is one decent way to figure it out. Go get it dyno tuned and pay for it. If you set it up and the tuner knows the deal he can tell you about the tune and possibly other tips. Perhaps he can do the leakdown and compression test for you.

If a knowledgeable and reputable shop verifies it for you that would be the best you could do short of buying from someone you have known for a long time. Don't guess or speculate. Spend $200 or so and be safe.

JJackson

Established Member
Well, there is one decent way to figure it out. Go get it dyno tuned and pay for it. If you set it up and the tuner knows the deal he can tell you about the tune and possibly other tips. Perhaps he can do the leakdown and compression test for you.

If a knowledgeable and reputable shop verifies it for you that would be the best you could do short of buying from someone you have known for a long time. Don't guess or speculate. Spend $200 or so and be safe.

never thought of that idea, i think im going to go that route. If it doesnt check out, looks like the owner just got a "free" tune. He claims its never seen WOT, but we all know how that goes. Closest track to us is 3 hours, so i beleive him when he says it has not seen a track, but that doesnt mean its never seen street action. when ive talked to him, he seems like he has nothing to hide, but that may be a different story in person. thanks for all the information.

cobracide

Established Member
It all looks good but one thing really worries me - kb boost a spark. I'd be finding a good tuner. First get a leakdown test.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Did he say what pulley config he has? Does it come with a hand held tuner? YOU will without a doubt have to have a datalog run done on a dyno. You are looking at a modified car that you dont know the history of. Be careful.

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
and copper plugs? spent an awful lot of money on mods to just skimp on the plugs...be smart. Spending the 200-300 bucks on a tune and having the car checked out by a professional who knows these car could end up saving you a looott of money in the future. I've been that route where I bought a highly modified car and then came to find out why it was such a "good price."

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
This.

An email tune from a good tuner can be tailored to the mods on the car and be completely safe and effective.

that's what I have, an e-mail tune from Ed at RWTD for my 03 Cobra, and while I've never thrown it on a dyno since I've done the mild mods it has, I've never had any problems with it, and it doesn't burn an ounce of oil..

JJackson

Established Member
This.

An email tune from a good tuner can be tailored to the mods on the car and be completely safe and effective.

he did say it had a canned tune on it from a local tuner that is highly thought of around here.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
and copper plugs? spent an awful lot of money on mods to just skimp on the plugs...be smart. Spending the 200-300 bucks on a tune and having the car checked out by a professional who knows these car could end up saving you a looott of money in the future. I've been that route where I bought a highly modified car and then came to find out why it was such a "good price."

There is nothing wrong with copper plugs other than the shorter life.

Many will use them as an effective indicator of detonation.
If you have a detonation event, even one that was not audible, the "pepper"(tiny metallic specks) will show up on the insulator.

When you check them regularly, as racers do, you can run your timing more aggressively advanced because you will know if you advanced too far from the "pepper" showing up.
You would then throw them away retard the timing some and put in a new set.
If you are dialing a car in, this would get VERY expensive with Iridiums.

gamebred26

Established Member
do a leak down and compression before you buy it...and make sure every mod he claims is on the car is really there...

or you will get burned like me from the dis-honest pos i bought my Cobra from...

dont take anything as truth from the guy selling you the car...

mach1033

Established Member
do a leak down and compression before you buy it...and make sure every mod he claims is on the car is really there...

or you will get burned like me from the dis-honest pos i bought my Cobra from...

dont take anything as truth from the guy selling you the car...
Jersey guys don't get burned we do the burning!!!:burn:
lol

gamebred26

Established Member
lol i test drove thought it was a sled...which i knew it would feel like that compared to my evo i was coming from...but turned out the motor was hurt...

dont worry karma is a bitch bad things happen to people like that... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread