Lets talk coilovers

Humboldt1498

Established Member
this is atleast the 50th time ive heard this. this is absolutely not true.

What a 'good' ride is is highly subjective. I have heard plently of people say how 'great' a coilover rides and then when I ride with them it's back breaking. I have owned several different coilovers on my cars over the years and have come to the conclusion cheap coilovers are not worth the money. Nice coilovers (atleast seperate adjustment for compression and rebound) work well on the street but are overkill unless you track your car.

c. love

Established Member
I tend to disagree. My 11 already rides rough by many peoples standards in stock form. To be honest it rides no better than my 240sx with megan dampers and my 240 was low enough to scrape on a pebble AKA super limited travel.

Longevity wise I have had several higher end coilovers and to be honest the Megans for being under 1k felt just as good, kept their good looks/function (IE no corrosion), and lasted 5 years (actually they are still on the car and still running around somewhere to my knowledge). So to say that many of these coilovers are junk simply because you didnt pay 5 grand for them is simply untrue.

Are they there better items for more $$? You bet there is but in my mind why pay for a race quality coil system when you're not actively competing, not rich, and are driving on city roads 90% of the time.

I personally believe a lowering spring is junk--they wear dampers faster, are never low enough, are never stiff enough, and in some cases you need new dampers all together, camber plates, all in addition to the actual spring to make them work.

Muff since you live down the road you can judge my BC's for yourself. I would have gone Megan but they seem to be on an eternal back order and I hear BC is the same anyway.

Muff Daddy

Established Member
Why do you need coilovers? Low quality coilovers (Just about anything under $2K) will ride pretty terrible. Higher quality coilovers (which generally start around $3K) usually have enough adjustment that they can be made to ride well on the street but don't have good longevity (hope you like paying for rebuilds).

If your car is a DD (especially one that carries your small child) I would look into a shock spring combo--cheaper, rides better, and will last longer then any coilover you will find. Koni and Tokico both make good street shocks that when paired with a minor lowering spring will maintain good ride quality.
My car is not a daily but I do take it on trips sometimes.
I agree completely. I simply got oem Boss springs with Koni Adjustable shocks. And caster camber plates up front. A nice combination of street comfort with track adjustability. If the roads are terrible, I don't see how you can go wrong with that. I had Steeda Sport Springs 200lbs in front 175 in back and they were too stiff and lacked suspension travel. they were actually dangerous on the street where rough pavement can come up quickly. The Boss Springs are nice! Will never go back. At the track I go full hard up front on the Konis. I live in LA. Roads are HORRIBLE. I have a young daughter just like you. Whole family much happier. And Dad still gets great handling.:rockon:

I want something more then a minor lowering spring. The only two springs I would consider would be the lowest that eibach offers or the h&r that are even lower then that. I hate wheelwell gap. So I look at buying the shocks and springs and camber plates and for not much more cash I can get my car to sit exactly how I want it to sit using coilovers.

Last edited:

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Sounds like you want a lower than averrage stance, quality adjustible ride and something that can handle at the track?

If so then may I suggest going with a coilover airbag setup. I recently installed Air Lifts new Track Pack coilover airbags on my Shelby and they leaps and bounds beyond anything you may have previously thought about airbags.

I have had Eibach R1 coilovers on my Shelby before and I liked the performance but hated the super bumpy ride. For about the same price the Air Lift bag-overs provide the same high performance handling (I was very impressed) with 30 position dampening adjustments (easily adjusted with the turning of a knob on top of the coilover in the begine bay) yet I can instantly adjust the ride height from 4x4 height to slammed to the ground stance. My shelby is a daily driver and I set it for a smooth ride but when I want to go to the track I can just adjust it easily for track performance handling :)

On coilovers you have it set low and you come up on a sharp driveway or speedbump and youre screwed. With my bag-overs I hit a switch and go 4x4 height and not a driveway or speedbump will ever worry me again.

Last edited:

Muff Daddy

Established Member
Sounds like you want a lower than averrage stance, quality adjustible ride and something that can handle at the track?

If so then may I suggest going with a coilover airbag setup. I recently installed Air Lifts new Track Pack coilover airbags on my Shelby and they leaps and bounds beyond anything you may have previously thought about airbags.

I have had Eibach R1 coilovers on my Shelby before and I liked the performance but hated the super bumpy ride. For about the same price the Air Lift bag-overs provide the same high performance handling (I was very impressed) with 30 position dampening adjustments (easily adjusted with the turning of a knob on top of the coilover in the begine bay) yet I can instantly adjust the ride height from 4x4 height to slammed to the ground stance. My shelby is a daily driver and I set it for a smooth ride but when I want to go to the track I can just adjust it easily for track performance handling :)

On coilovers you have it set low and you come up on a sharp driveway or speedbump and youre screwed. With my bag-overs I hit a switch and go 4x4 height and not a driveway or speedbump will ever worry me again.

Where'd you buy your setup? Its not bouncy at all?

c. love

Established Member

Would also be a cool option. honestly if I had gotten cheaper wheels I would have given bags a serious look

kingnut

Established Member
My bc should be here today and maybe on tonight or tomorrow.

dude post up pics and a personal review of them when you get a chance. also where did you get them and what spring rates did you get?

kingnut

Established Member
KW V3's

/End Thread

elaborate a little.

1: how is the ride?

2: is your car slammed all the way down?

3: is there any NVH over the stock suspension?

4: can you adjust the height on the fly without removing them?

c. love

Established Member
ok so here is my review. 2011 GT BREMBO CAR (SPRINGS ARE STIFFER)

I got these Coilovers from Corsport in Denver. They generally do import stuff but a buddy of mine works there plus dealing with a legit business is better than dealing with ebay. So he helped me out

I got a slightly stiffer spring (8K/6K) vs what was listed with them (7K/5K). My spring choice is something like 2.5 times stiffer than my stock springs.

It took me 3 hours start to finish to get them on (working all by myself while periodically checking on my kids who were running around the yard/house).

they are super easy to put on. you can also adjust them while they are on the car--you have to jack the car up and removing the front wheels helps for the front the rear you should be able to fit the spanner wrenches in there.

The rear of the car:

- undo the shocks, sway bar links and panhard bar
-axle drops down, you pull out stock springs
-replace with coilover springs & adjustors/perchs. Adjust everything to height before you put on the car. I wanted it lower about 3 inches so I measured the stock spring vs the BC spring on the perches. you also want to adjust the shock height
-Cut bumpstops, I cut them by about half
-install shock
-bolt back together. I also took this time to install an adjustable panahard bar

Front:

-Its simple unbolt the old struts (4 nuts on top, 2 bolts on bottom)
-remove sway bar endlinks-two nuts hold them on
-carefully remove the abs line (it just has one of those plastic rivet deals thats a bitch to gently pull out)
-unbolt brake line bracket
-adjust the height ---I also went 3 inches lower here

So my review-

-I dont have an alignment just yet but i hear a slight bit more road noise-however that could be cause the car is fighting itself going down the road (front toe is way off). I will have time to align it tonight

-the dampers came out of the box set at 8 of their 30 settings (0 is stiff, 30 is soft) it felt horrible---I took it down to 24 in the front and 25 in the rear and WOW FEELS GREAT!!!. So great in fact I have a hard time believing my car is 3 inches lower

-easy to put on which is a plus. i hear old stangs sucked to put coils on this was cake.

-kit came with lower front sway bar links--definite plus

-the bolt hole for the brake line wasnt threaded nor did the stock bolt fit through it. No biggie I guess as i found two nuts two bolts used locked tight and done

-the collars are thick and nice--may not matter but i have had thin collars that really sucked-Ie if you are at the track you lost the spanner a hammer and screw driver probably wont F them up if you need to adjust

all in all pretty impressed with the near stock ride. I expected a little harshness but having little to none is impressive. I did a quick drive and hit every bump i could intentionally still great. I have yet to drift the car (yeah i like drifting lol) so in a week or so I will get a chance to go play and i will give some input there.

DSC_0330_zps608d0a8b.gif

DSC_0333_zpsb8f61ad2.gif

DSC_0334_zpsd369d80c.gif

^still have ground clearance

DSC_0335_zpsd006ffb6.gif

i could go another inch lower but I have some wheels on the way that are a slight more aggressive than what most run so i need to make sure they fit then i will lower another half inch or so

Car when it was at stock height--only pic i have lol

12fbc9d7c56e40ce9e5944b86c7b217720121201133019000.gif

kingnut

Established Member
c love that looks absolutely bad ass!!! great to hear and looking forward to an update when you get an alignment. do you think the stock 7k front and 5k rear would be to soft for our cars?

c. love

Established Member
c love that looks absolutely bad ass!!! great to hear and looking forward to an update when you get an alignment. do you think the stock 7k front and 5k rear would be to soft for our cars?

thanks man

You know I dont know. Probably not but a friend of mine who has run several sets of BC's told me that when he got his for his stang they felt very very soft even on the full stiff setting. Although his was a 96', I think, I went on a limb and decided perhaps BC wants to keep things subtle and goes soft erring on the side of comfy ride vs more sporty in most cases. So I decided to go 1 step higher in spring rate--VERY GLAD I DID. I hear the brembo cars have stiffer springs so all the more reason to go slightly higher in spring rate.

thing is too stiff and even on the flattest of surfaces the car wont handle like its suppose to and too soft it will feel like your in a lifted truck--so middle ground it was.

All said and done once i get my wheels in I will probably be going lower. I love the look of a car that is sitting right at the tread of the tire. Speed bumps, potholes,dips, baby seals, or whatever else is thrown at you you can compensate for by keeping alert and going around it lol.

As i mentioned though the newer wheels are a bit (key word=bit--I wanted really aggressive but i wimped out) more aggressive than most run so i want to see what kind of rubbing i will have make clearance for them and then drop another 3/4-1 full inch

jayman33

I've sold plenty of V3's and everyone including myself has been very happy however, take a look at the ground control full coil over kits. They're BA. I'll be going to those shortly, what you get for the money is great, CC plates, koni adjustable struts and shocks and eibach spring set with ground control specs.

c. love

Established Member
after an alignment and a bit of driving i have more info. Got alignment and hit the interstate for a few miles. None of this seems to apply to city streets oddly.

Some harshness is felt, which is to be expected honestly. I got rid of rubber and replaced it with metal--so duh ha! doing 80 brings about road noise

Bigger more, for a lack of better words, swooping bumps the car feels like a lowered car, as it turns out it is. Where the stock suspension soaks up the drawn out bumps with ease the BC has a pronounced single bounce.

Sharper more hard hitting bumps (joints in bridges for example) no difference just a thud and you're on your way.

I put the coilovers to full soft and it helped a bit. My daughter was with me and I asked her how it felt and what she thought--she said watching my movie dad. So that is a thumbs up she didn't even notice the bumps. Again city and interstate changes things city its tame feels stock--interstate everything changes but its a liveable change

All in all a good mod--car is more responsive and looks better even if I traded some ride comfort. However I knew what i was trading so not a biggie

Users who are viewing this thread