Lets Talk Flooring

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Going to be goofy with 2 completely different colors if you go 1 light and 1 dark. But 2 different dark or 2 different light colors wouldn't be bad.

From experience this just looks bad, it looks like you ran out of the original and tried to match it unsuccessfully. It would be like painting 2 walls one color white and using a different color white on the other 2 walls.

jsonic

Established Member
Wood plank TILE, youll NEVER look back! Takes a beating, looks good, if done properly and staggered properly will look amazing!

I recently put the home depot wood plank tile in my dinning room and hallway with a cream tile separating them and looks good.

+1 my girlfriends parents did their back room and it looks great for how easy and cheap it is to do. It's something I am considering putting in my kitchen.

rtdakota

Established Member
This product that I have linked is a great option for what you are looking for. It is a luxury click and lock vinyl with a fiberglass core which is very durable and easy to install. I have a couple of contractors in the snowy mountain areas that use this for their higher end homes that are built in ski areas.
http://www.usfloorsllc.com/display-category/coretec-plus/

bigblue95z

Established Member
From experience this just looks bad, it looks like you ran out of the original and tried to match it unsuccessfully. It would be like painting 2 walls one color white and using a different color white on the other 2 walls.

I don't think it would be nearly as oversimplified as you have stated here. We have 2 different styles of hardwood, both darker cherry-ish color, that look great. They're on 2 separate floors of the house. It's not like they'd be butted up next to each other. So I've been in this guy's shoes, and it turned out great.

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Update: We took the plunge and went with a completely different color. I'm pretty happy with it. Not finished yet, still have to put shoe molding in.

11024607_10152694864411121_8206169647957576290_n_zpszkwnb97n.jpg

Before:
11018895_10152694867221121_462762357968774819_n_zpsy8xh4oys.jpg

After:
16476_10152693704176121_903846761366820214_n_zpsdjbz6e3g.jpg

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Honestly, I'd paint the stairs white like the molding. Then run a nice carpet running down the middle (where you leave about 3" on either side). Should look nice and blend a helluva lot better.

Or sand the stairs and find a stain that's close to the downstairs flooring. That mismatch would drive me NUTS. We have engineered hardwood in a few parts of the house and really want to carry it along into the living room, study, bedroom, etc. With my allergies, I'm starting to feel like carpet doesn't help with it..or dust.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Honestly, I'd paint the stairs white like the molding. Then run a nice carpet running down the middle (where you leave about 3" on either side). Should look nice and blend a helluva lot better.

Or sand the stairs and find a stain that's close to the downstairs flooring. That mismatch would drive me NUTS. We have engineered hardwood in a few parts of the house and really want to carry it along into the living room, study, bedroom, etc. With my allergies, I'm starting to feel like carpet doesn't help with it..or dust.

That was my suggestion also, I don't think I could do the two different colors.

Other than that, the floor looks great.

getTwisted

Established Member
Yea I'm not crazy about the mis-match but I hate trying to match wood colors, especially brown. If I stain the stairs to match then I will run into the same mis-match except it will be with the upstairs hardwood.

I dont like stair rugs, so that throws out that idea.

Maybe I'll just paint the stairs white one day. I'm not planning on moving anytime soon, so I'll have some time to think about it.

DJinAC

The Escape Pod
Established Member
I installed 9/16" espresso bamboo in the living room and hallway it came out very nice. Thank God Home Depot has the transitional thresholds because the Pergo I had previously installed in one of the bedrooms was considerably thinner but it worked out well.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks great, I want to do this to our home but I was not sure about wood being on a concrete slab.

getTwisted

Established Member
Looks great, I want to do this to our home but I was not sure about wood being on a concrete slab.

Thanks. This is vinyl plank, so we didn't have to worry about the problems or cost that comes with wood. This is waterproof, stain proof and scratch resistant.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Where did you get the planks from and did you do the install? Are those oak retreads? I have carpet steps and want to do wood throughout the house.

Last edited:

getTwisted

Established Member
Where did you get the planks from and did you do the install? Are those oak retreads? I have carpet steps and want to do wood throughout the house.

A company out of Mt. airy NC did the install. They did my Man Room and the hallway for $1300. It was going to cost me $1100 in materials from lowes, not counting my time, so it was a no brainer.

Not sure on the steps. They were like that when we bought the home. I did refinish them last year though. They were scratched up pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread