Lightning 6 Speed Project Thread

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
oh boy! This will give some headaches. Good luck with what is to come, I hope it turns out better than the last 6speed.

FordFanStan

Established Member
That should be fun. Are you using anything from the GT500, (you can get the flexplates and expensive clutches used from people that have done the GT500L swaps for cheaper than new :poke:) or all Cobra R parts? ... Stan

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
The GT500's use Tremec's new 6 speed tranny (TKE-6060). Its a stronger more beefier version of the T-56. As it stands these are not available to the aftermarket at this time and the cost of them is rediculous. The TKE-6060 uses a 31 spline input shaft as well. That being said, there are clutch kits available for the 31 spline shafts but this Cobra R route was the most cost effective and easiest to support later.

We also choose the Cobra R T-56 due to its gear ratios... they compliment the RPM range of the 5.4 better than the faster spinning 4.6 cobra motors and also compliment Cichlid's 4:10 gears.

I was not aware of the numerous problems that the other swap had? The guys that did the swap plant fear and doubt because they want you to send your truck to them for their expertise... I have spoken with an engineer from Tremec, Centerforce, and a very knowledgeable parts expert from Ford. I also spoke with a few shops that are known for thier auto to manual conversions who helped me out with clutch actuation issues.

The parts we are using is mostly aftermarket... Centerforce clutch, Fidanza flywheel, ARP fasteners, etc...

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
IEatGt's said:
Nice!!!
This should be interesting.
Is there any advantage to using a hydraulic setup vs. a cable/quadrant?

Depends who you talk to... there is valid arguments on both sides.

We are going "kinda" hydraulic for this application. We will post the pics and notes as we progress. So far this is all bolt-on.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Scotts Elle said:
I was not aware of the numerous problems that the other swap had? The guys that did the swap plant fear and doubt because they want you to send your truck to them for their expertise... I have spoken with an engineer from Tremec, Centerforce, and a very knowledgeable parts expert from Ford. I also spoke with a few shops that are known for thier auto to manual conversions who helped me out with clutch actuation issues.

The parts we are using is mostly aftermarket... Centerforce clutch, Fidanza flywheel, ARP fasteners, etc...

IIRC... the problems in the past weren't with physically getting the trans to work. Going off of memory (which is dangerous) their main problems were with the electrical gremlins and getting the engined tuned to work with the manual transmission correctly. Someone let me know if I'm way off base.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Personally, I'm really excited that it's 2 active SVTP members doing this swap. I look forward to following the progress along the way.

:beer:

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
IIRC... the problems in the past weren't with physically getting the trans to work. Going off of memory (which is dangerous) their main problems were with the electrical gremlins and getting the engined tuned to work with the manual transmission correctly. Someone let me know if I'm way off base.

Tuning was one of the first things we looked at. I got the tuner who says it shouldn't be an issue with changing it from an auto to a manual. If all else fails he will be flying out here to get it to work.

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
BTW Chris I think your stuff is pretty much the last stuff we need. All the rest of the stuff from LFP and Steve (SVTfordparts) have sent the rest of the stuff.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Cichlids said:
Tuning was one of the first things we looked at. I got the tuner who says it shouldn't be an issue with changing it from an auto to a manual. If all else fails he will be flying out here to get it to work.

Its all in finding the right people:coolman: Hopefully this goes smoothly for you. I am sure we will see a lot more 6 speed L's if it does:rockon:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Scotts Elle said:
So far this is all bolt-on.

What about the driveshaft?

As far as tuning, I think it would be sort of simple, using SCT. I think you could load the value files for the manual trans onto your L ecu code and engine value files, right? Then work off those base files... Stan

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
should've just bought an SRT-10, would've been cheaper :nonono:

$$$$$$ :poke:

lightningonbags

Established Member
Cichlids said:
Sounds like a done deal :thumbsup:

:poke: Don't try to hide from my question....:poke: If the 6 sp is stg 2 then WHAT is stg 3????

BTW Your truck was awsome from the start and this only makes it more awsomer<what a great word!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread