Lightning 6 Speed Project Thread

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
For those that have removed the stock tranny, whats the single most important peice of advice you can give? What part is going to make me fill the swear jar?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I haven't pulled one so take this as you will. The most difficult part will be getting to the two top bolts on the bell housing IMO. I'm pretty sure if you drop the cross member and let the engine and trans (tailshaft) tilt down you'll be able to get at them easier with some long extensions. That and it being HEAVY are the only things I can thing of. If you have l/t's the pass side has to be removed to get the starter off as well. IIRC there are 7 bell housing bolts total. There's one on the pass side that's a PITA to get at as well but if you have a lift it prolly won't be too bad.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Yeah. I got lots of extensions and flex joints... No lift. This will be on jack stands. I have removed tons of trannies and trucks are by far the easiest. Never had to wrestle with a L tranny... it doesn't look that complicated but I figure I would get advice from the experts;-)

CobraRyan

Banned
My neighbor is going to be running this setup soon. He already had the expo center console and he used to have a ported eaton. He blew his motor and bought a gt500 longblock and a whipple. he will be ready by the end of august i will get some pics

SADF

Established Member
Better yet, tell your neighbor to get his azz on here and contribute, lol. I'm sure both parties could help each other out through the process.

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Cichlids said:
LFP came through today. I got the centerforce in, still awaiting a lot more small parts.
Don't know much about L's but is there a mounting floorboard clutch pedal mount set-up/linkage?
Maybe all F-150's have one available for a six banger?
I think the T-Bird did for the SC five speed version.
Jeff

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
CPViolation said:
Don't know much about L's but is there a mounting floorboard clutch pedal mount set-up/linkage?
Maybe all F-150's have one available for a six banger?
I think the T-Bird did for the SC five speed version.
Jeff

The pedals are stock F150 pedals. There was a F150 trim level that offered a 5 speed. The stock shifter is junk. We are using a Hurst short shifter upgrade orginally meant for the SRT-10 RAM. Not to sure what the final location will look like but pictures will be posted when we get to that stage.

Still waiting on more parts from LFP, Stock parts from Steve, my hydraulic pull cylinder, and Mr Nelsons parts.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
SADF said:
Better yet, tell your neighbor to get his azz on here and contribute, lol. I'm sure both parties could help each other out through the process.

true dat

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Scotts Elle said:
The pedals are stock F150 pedals. There was a F150 trim level that offered a 5 speed. The stock shifter is junk. We are using a Hurst short shifter upgrade orginally meant for the SRT-10 RAM. Not to sure what the final location will look like but pictures will be posted when we get to that stage.

Still waiting on more parts from LFP, Stock parts from Steve, my hydraulic pull cylinder, and Mr Nelsons parts.
Thx
Jeff

rlearp

Established Member
Mega cool, I like it. One of the first questions I asked on this board. Be watching.

Ron

fdx

Established Member
Whats going on? Question.... What type of tranny fluid should I use? I have that valve in the tranny and for a long while she use to chirp gears but has stopped. I havent changed the tranny fluid completely since I've owned the truck ya! bad i know! So any suggestions?

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
fdx said:
Whats going on? Question....

Search.jpg

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
Bob I think we are going to by a 9000 lbs lift first :rockon: and a new garage door opener, to make this much more eaiser.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I would post more pics but we are still waiting on all the parts. We got the clutch and realized that the 10 spline input shaft is actually really weak. The Cobra guys twist those off like beer caps. We are sending it back to LFP. They are sending out a 26 spline shaft, flywheel, and clutch kit.

Heres a good link explaining everything... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254118

And this is what happens when Whipple (or any serious power adder) meets a T56...
broken10splinegq4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread