Lightning vs Joe Gibbs

2tonOfun

Established Member
Cuckoo Bananas said:
Yeah I know that, but I'm not gunna jump onto the 9 seconds wagon fast. I was just a tad bit curious.

Maybe you should actually buy a Lightning first.
Most people would before they put it in their signiture also.:shrug:

2tonOfun said:
Maybe you should actually buy a Lightning first.
Most people would before they put it in their signiture also.:shrug:

Hmmm well it does kinda lay a hint of "coming soon"? But I dunno? Didn't know I HAD to have one inorder to post in this forum?

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Lightnings are very responsive to mods at first. It takes very little to get them into the 12s. As you try to go quicker the mods get more expensive, and the gains smaller.
On a stock block mid 12s is a good goal. Many push harder and run quicker, but at great risk. To go mid 11s or better a full buildup is needed. For a 10 sec truck expect to invest approx 20K. 9s may not cost a whole lot more, but upping the boost and/or nitrous makes breakage a big possibility.
I am spending about 5K this winter to get down into the mid 10s. To do it legally (no cage yet) and reliably (BTS Trans) I will still need to invest another 7K or so.
Enjoy your truck with a good tune and a 4# pulley for the best bang for the buck. God help you if the mod bug bites!
Jim

Ct.TOPGUN said:
Lightnings are very responsive to mods at first. It takes very little to get them into the 12s. As you try to go quicker the mods get more expensive, and the gains smaller.
On a stock block mid 12s is a good goal. Many push harder and run quicker, but at great risk. To go mid 11s or better a full buildup is needed. For a 10 sec truck expect to invest approx 20K. 9s may not cost a whole lot more, but upping the boost and/or nitrous makes breakage a big possibility.
I am spending about 5K this winter to get down into the mid 10s. To do it legally (no cage yet) and reliably (BTS Trans) I will still need to invest another 7K or so.
Enjoy your truck with a good tune and a 4# pulley for the best bang for the buck. God help you if the mod bug bites!
Jim

Thanks a bunch jim! :D

2tonOfun

Established Member
Cuckoo Bananas said:
Hmmm well it does kinda lay a hint of "coming soon"? But I dunno? Didn't know I HAD to have one inorder to post in this forum?

You're talking about going 9's in a truck you don't even own. AND you list it in your sig as your car?

What DO you drive? why isn't that in your sig?

And 9's:rollseyes That is pretty sacred ground my friend.

And your original post?:dw:

2tonOfun said:
You're talking about going 9's in a truck you don't even own. AND you list it in your sig as your car?

What DO you drive? why isn't that in your sig?

And 9's:rollseyes That is pretty sacred ground my friend.

And your original post?:dw:

Actually I never said I wanted my soon to be truck in the 9's right off the bat. And my sig. says "2004 lightning...coming soon" so I don't understand the problem here?

Hmm I used to drive an explorer sport. But my parents sold it for financial reasons. So now I drive my father expedition whenever I can.

Yet again, of course I know the 9's is hard to get into, and it will cost an arm, a leg, and my first 2 kids. But I was just curious on what it would take. I never said, "I want a 9 second truck right away!!!" no...I never said that. And what about my original post? It was a curious question, got dragged out, and got lost into off topics. I didn't know the curiosity actually DID kill the cat.

2tonOfun

Established Member
Rookie SVT Poster

Car: Lightning
Trader Rating: (0)

I'm done. Now save up some money, and go out and buy one.

I apologize for being rude, I just didn't have a good day today. I have about 9,000 for a down payment. I'm just waiting for when my parents can go with me to get everything signed and settled at a dealer, or something very soon.

2tonOfun

Established Member
Cuckoo Bananas said:
I apologize for being rude, I just didn't have a good day today. I have about 9,000 for a down payment. I'm just waiting for when my parents can go with me to get everything signed and settled at a dealer, or something very soon.

That's a great down payment.

Just be sure to shop around. It may be tough to find a stock one. If you can get a loan for a private party purchase, then I would suggest trying to find one to buy from an owner. That way you can talk to the person about any mods that have been done to the truck and it's history. Most Lightning owners tend to really like their trucks and take really good care of them, but there is always the exception. I know it is easier to get a loan with a dealer but most will not let you contact the former buyer. Do your home work before you buy one.
Good luck and be carefull when learing to drive one, a modded Lightning is a very high performance ride. Treat it with respect.
Oh but, have fun.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
wher in soCal? I know a guy in SanD actually near national city that has a silver L for sale...think its a 00 or 01.....for 16k....jsut got a new tranny with like 100miles on it dropped in it....the motor is newer as well....lke 20k maybe...he bought an 03 Harley Screw and is selling his L....

svttipsy I think is his scn name on NLOC....he is in the navy...shoot me a email and I will give you his contact info

[email protected]...

Users who are viewing this thread