Lightning vs Joe Gibbs

bmfgsxr

Established Member
Cuckoo Bananas said:
So MR2's will be a problem? Why was it a problem? Was it a stock turbo MR2? Or what?

And if I were to dyno my L, would I get the estimated 0-60, or 1/4 mile? Well I'm planning on getting a Whipple Charger? But i don't know? First thing I might get will be a Predator Programmer?

you wont get accurate performance times from a dyno. get out there and run.

you dont want a predator, you want the sct xcal II.. go to www.lightningforceperformance.com and look at their package deals for lightnings.. you cant beat them..

and a stock mr2 wouldnt be a problem.. but anything can be made fast so watch out for people with mods.. but go out and have fun, just dont bet money unless you know what they have done.

Dusten said:
How do you think i felt, i was the one looking at his taillights.....

Did you guys run it on the track? Or street? Either way, how much did he beat you by? Plus he said you only had catback exhaust? How would you 2 compare now with your mods?

bmfgsxr said:
you wont get accurate performance times from a dyno. get out there and run.

you dont want a predator, you want the sct xcal II.. go to www.lightningforceperformance.com and look at their package deals for lightnings.. you cant beat them..

and a stock mr2 wouldnt be a problem.. but anything can be made fast so watch out for people with mods.. but go out and have fun, just dont bet money unless you know what they have done.

Alright thanks, I'll look into their packages. I won't be running for money. Plus there's no way I can make this truck into a race car.

Dusten

Established Member
Cuckoo Bananas said:
Did you guys run it on the track? Or street? Either way, how much did he beat you by? Plus he said you only had catback exhaust? How would you 2 compare now with your mods?

Both actually, we raced at the track once, and on the street from a dig and a roll.
Watch the video in his link, and then go to my youtube and watch the videos of his car at the track.
How would we stack up now? I have a programmer and a CAI but i havent run the truck with them, and with then you add the slicks in. I am not sure, but in about 2 months i will tell you

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
yep.

and if you spend roughly $500bucks you can have that sucker running in the high 12's.

if you spend closer to $1000 you can be solidly in the mid 12's. not many vehicles can get those kind of gains from such little $.

$500 for 12's you say? explain please...........

diablo sport/Sct tuner = $280

CAI = $150

Spark plugs = $50

Lower pulley kit = $200

custom tuning/dyno hrs = $150

2" lowering shackles = $50

thats more than $800 already. Add in a valve body and drag radials you are talking about nearly 2g's. Maybe I just buy parts from the wrong places :shrug:

Dusten

Established Member
mc01svt said:

CAI = $150

Spark plugs = $50

Lower pulley kit = $200

thats more than $800 already. Add in a valve body and drag radials you are talking about nearly 2g's. Maybe I just buy parts from the wrong places :shrug:

Powerpackage from LFP - 500 bucks
MAFia -180
With that, you can be in teh high 12's

You dont need a CAI, or shackels, or a valve body to run 12's

assasyn

Established Member
I got well into the 12's with just a pulley and shitty chip.

There is a JG I pass at lunch everyday. Gimme a few weeks, I'll tell you how bad it was.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
mc01svt said:

CAI = $150

Spark plugs = $50

Lower pulley kit = $200

Upper pulley non gripper- 60 bucks i think is what they were
ATS tuned chip- 279
ATS cold air kit- 139

478 bucks

12.83@107 on F1's backed up with a 12.87 and 3 12.90's :coolman:

Last edited:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
mc01svt said:

CAI = $150

Spark plugs = $50

Lower pulley kit = $200

http://lightningforceperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240_241&products_id=504

that package with a #4 pulley has gotten most people into the high 12's.. you could go with a #6 pulley and a maf extender and be mid to high 12's.. but ideally you would want a dyno tune as well which bumps the cost.. but a #4 pulley gets you there in most cases if you can launch relatively well.

LFP packages...which one would be best to put on my L once I get it? Of course, my L is gunna be stock when I first get it. But for the best result what package would you guys recommend?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Derek@Amazon said:
Upper pulley non gripper- 60 bucks i think is what they were
ATS tuned chip- 279
ATS cold air kit- 139

478 bucks

12.83@107 on F1's backed up with a 12.87 and 3 12.90's :coolman:

I think you left out a few items..................

$478 +
custom tune /dyno hrs +
upper pulley removal tool +
shipping charges +
new s/c'er belt
= >$500

The cold harsh reality is these trucks maybe capable of 12's with only $500 but it is extremely rare and unlikely. God knows most of us have spent waaaaaay more than $500 :( A decent catback will run you $600

Not trying to be an @ss, just being realistic. I wouldn't want anybody thinking that modding a lightning is inexpensive like the termi guys.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
http://lightningforceperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240_241&products_id=504

that package with a #4 pulley has gotten most people into the high 12's.. you could go with a #6 pulley and a maf extender and be mid to high 12's.. but ideally you would want a dyno tune as well which bumps the cost.. but a #4 pulley gets you there in most cases if you can launch relatively well.

I disagree, I still say most will need a CAI and a decent dyno tune before they con honestly say they have a 12sec truck. I love my L but its not a cobra.

Is there anyone on the board running 12's w/out a CAI and/or drag radials? :??:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
with a #4 pulley you can get away with merely cutting a hole in the bottom of your stock airbox to get more flow.. and there are plenty of guys cutting 1.8/1.9 60' times on stock rubber. i put up a thread a while ago about this very topic and the majority of people with that setup were in the 12's.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
with a #4 pulley you can get away with merely cutting a hole in the bottom of your stock airbox to get more flow.. and there are plenty of guys cutting 1.8/1.9 60' times on stock rubber. i put up a thread a while ago about this very topic and the majority of people with that setup were in the 12's.

link please.

Whats the secret to sub 2sec 60fts on the stock f1s without lowering shackles/traction bars.?

My f1s would spin if I even looked at them wrong :rollseyes and thats with the stock pulley :dw:

Dusten

Established Member
mc01svt said:
I disagree, I still say most will need a CAI and a decent dyno tune before they con honestly say they have a 12sec truck. I love my L but its not a cobra.

Is there anyone on the board running 12's w/out a CAI and/or drag radials? :??:

The Stock box on these trucks is good to almost 450HP, a CAI is not needed. Track prep is the key to getting a good 60ft time with f1's.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
mc01svt said:
I think you left out a few items..................

$478 +
custom tune /dyno hrs +
upper pulley removal tool +
shipping charges +
new s/c'er belt
= >$500

The cold harsh reality is these trucks maybe capable of 12's with only $500 but it is extremely rare and unlikely. God knows most of us have spent waaaaaay more than $500 :( A decent catback will run you $600

Not trying to be an @ss, just being realistic. I wouldn't want anybody thinking that modding a lightning is inexpensive like the termi guys.

i didnt leave out anything i ran a stock belt and a 2.75 upper pulley and a tune rick had did before for a 01 with my same setup that ran VERY well. not as good as mine but good.

i honestly think alot of you guys over do what you need to, to run the numbers you want. 12's isnt a huge task for our trucks. granted alot has to do with track prep and weather conditions. but start out slow with your mods take the time to get the combo's right with a good tune and just learn to launch it.

Users who are viewing this thread