Look what the UPS man brought me

SlowSVT

Established Member
Billet%20Cobra%20Crank%203_zpszi3wkav9.jpg

Billet%20Cobra%20Crank%202_zpskvuhd6mc.jpg

What your looking at is a 4.6 Billet crankshaft made by Pankl (who makes formula 1 cranks) for the Roush Yates racing engine.

Its been lightened, has full filleted radii on the journals, knife edges throws. It's out of a rented race engine with 1200 miles on it.

Here is a pic of the chamfered throws

Billet%20Cobra%20Crank%204_zpslsyshnjn.jpg

There are lightening holes on every throw

Billet%20Cobra%20Crank%201_zps5uizt9na.jpg

Full filleted journals (no undercuts)

Billet%20Cobra%20Crank%205_zps7qveow7h.jpg

Not sure what alloy they use but I imagine its something close to 4130. Way overkill for a street car but the price was too good to pass up. I'm going the weigh it and have it magnafluxed just as a precaution but chances are any fractures on a billet steel crank is not very likely. Now I'm gunna need to make a set of steel billet main caps for the Boss block to compliment this fine arm :rockon:

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
It's beautiful.

And you got it just before I was putting my buy it now in. :cryying:

I contacted JDM to see if they were going to get (or had) any more. Not at the moment. So I contacted Roush/Yates and have not heard back from them yet.

That's as nice looking a crank as the custom billet one Ed had made. Except his had an enormous snout on it, plus the splines too.

Seeing your pictures answered some of the questions that I had. It looks like it needs absolutely nothing. No polishing, no special size bearings.

Nuttin!

Do the King bearing need to have one edge turned down to accommodate the full fillets?

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's beautiful.

And you got it just before I was putting my buy it now in. :cryying:

I contacted JDM to see if they were going to get (or had) any more. Not at the moment. So I contacted Roush/Yates and have not heard back from them yet.

That's as nice looking a crank as the custom billet one Ed had made. Except his had an enormous snout on it, plus the splines too.

Seeing your pictures answered some of the questions that I had. It looks like it needs absolutely nothing. No polishing, no special size bearings.

Nuttin!

Do the King bearing need to have one edge turned down to accommodate the full fillets?

Ed is the one who put me wise to this crankshaft which took me all of 2 nano seconds to hit the “buy” button for $1300. I got the last one cut for a Ford connecting rod all they have left are cranks set-up for Honda rods.

Ed’s crank is a dedicated external oil pump engine since he beefed-up the snout eliminating the oil pump drive. I don’t think this crank will have any issues with the integrity of the front of the crank.

Yea, this looks like a “drop in” replacement. I now have enough parts to build 2 engines including a set of Roush heads and a set of Oliver rods.

I weighed the crank this morning and it tipped the scales at 47.6 lbs. Not sure what the weight of the forged crank I think it comes in around 50-55 lbs perhaps someone can chime in here with the actual weight.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Very nice piece you got there sir. You can always do a penetrant inspect test in lieu of the magnetic particle test, just a different way of doing an NDI.

JimIII@jdm

But what engine? Custom Roush stuff or FR500C? Perhaps a Daytona Prototype engine?

It was from the DP program. We also have several of these same cranks with Honda sized rod journals as that's what they ended up using with the most recent DP engines, of coarse before they switched to Ecoboost!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It was from the DP program. We also have several of these same cranks with Honda sized rod journals as that's what they ended up using with the most recent DP engines, of coarse before switching to Ecoboost!

Any idea what the guts of an FR500C engine is? I know they are supposed to have Terminator rods.

JimIII@jdm

Any idea what the guts of an FR500C engine is? I know they are supposed to have Terminator rods.

They did have Terminator rods in the FR500C's

Roush Yates had several different versions of the DP motor that really just evolved over the years and racing program.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I don't really follow race teams or about the origins of the engines they use I just like to build and use cool stuff but I got curious on the origins of this crank by Sid's questions and found this.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/category-s/68.htm

They didn't touch much on the crankshaft they were using but what caught my eye was a statement about drilling a hole in the water jacket between the two exhaust valve which is where air pockets can form.

"eng #012" is written on the front counterweight. Maybe this crank has some history and can be traced to some big time racer who took the podium at the 24 hours at Le Mans. OK, that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread