Lookin for a tv but need some advice

punchit

Established Member
I have no idea what a good deal is and what offers are good and whats not. Looking for a 52 or bigger lcd or led tv. Anyone have any opinions or see any smokin deals :burn: out there?

oldmodman

Established Member
Go to Costco. 90 days to get your money back if you don't like it and 2 years warranty.

For really big sets you might want to look at plasma sets. I am probably going to get the 65" Panasonic Plasma

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
where is the TV going? basement, upstairs living room? If its in a room with little to no natural light then I recommend a plasma. If its in a well lit room then an led would work great. I just bought a 60in LG plasma for my basement rec room and couldnt be happier. It replaced an older 42in LG LCD. Got it at Costco and came with an additional year warranty.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
where is the TV going? basement, upstairs living room? If its in a room with little to no natural light then I recommend a plasma. If its in a well lit room then an led would work great. I just bought a 60in LG plasma for my basement rec room and couldnt be happier. It replaced an older 42in LG LCD. Got it at Costco and came with an additional year warranty.

+1.

I like LG, Samsung and even Vizio. Lot's of places right now are getting rid of their old LED t.v's without wireless capabilities because they are getting ones with it. Out with the old, in with the new!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought my Samsung plazma mail order and saved a couple of hundred dollars. Shipping was quick and the tractor trailer driver helped me put it in the garage. Installation was easy and I didn't have to make any adjustments. So the mail order option worked for me. However, if you are at all concerned that you might have to return the set, choose a store local to you that offers a money back return policy like Costco. My only concern with this policy, though, is what happens to those returned sets. Do they end up back on the floor to go into someone else's home who isn't aware there was some issue with it?

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Watch slickdeals.net. They recently had a 55" LG 120Hz LED for only $1050. That's REALLY cheap. FWIW, I bought a 60" SHARP AQUOS Quattron 120Hz LED for $1850 at Sears about 5 months ago. It's one of the biggest yet least expensive 120Hz LEDs on the market. It's a phenominal tv after you adjust the settings properly. Out of the box config is absolute crap. I did a full write-up on CNET and amazon.

badboysbailagnt

Established Member
i just bought a 58 inch plasma samsung 1080p for 1,000. Tiger direct had a special on it but of course didnt have any instock so i called best buy and they had one and matched the price.

Monster Mach

Established Member
If you like one channel then stay away from plasma... it will burn the image to the screen... I love our toshiba led it works amazing in no light and a lot of light
We are at 52 inches and its the perfect size

ViciousJay

Established Member
If you like one channel then stay away from plasma... it will burn the image to the screen... I love our toshiba led it works amazing in no light and a lot of light

:nonono: wrong! thats been fixed

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Now is the time to buy. Most companies are rolling out their new models now and end of the month. So putting rebates on old inventory to move it.

Oh and about the plasma comment. They still burn if a static image is left on the screen for to long or same thing played day after day. My supply house has one hanging on the wall with burn in. But its same images everyday (monthly specials and promotions.)

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
yah image burn is pretty much a thing of the past. any new tv you should be fine unless its a really old model. I was set on an LED for my basement rec room but I research everything heavily. I read countless reviews of people buying LED tvs for basements or dark rooms and end up taking them back because they were just too bright. People complained of dizziness and it hurting their eyes. Everyone I spoke to who was knowledgeable on tvs recommended I go with plasma and I did. Again, it all depends where you are putting it and the size of the television. A 60in LED will hurt your eyes but something smaller may be just fine. At the end of the day you'll just have to get what you like and see how it works for your application. avsforum.com is a great site to read and learn from.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

This is why I don't post in these type threads anymore. Too many people thinking they know wtf they're talking about. :nonono: Not trying to be a dick but burn-in has been a a thing of the past for a LONG time.

1. Where is it going?
2. What is your budget?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I agree if its low lit get a plasma. I should have for my bedroom since its hardly any light in it at all but I really enjoy my Samsung 46" LCD I have. Nice unit to me

Monster Mach

Established Member
I must know it all because a new t.v was a subject to it... hmmm thing of the past my ass.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
concerning burn in...

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Plasma TV “Burn-In”: Fact or Myth?

Plasma TV Buying Guide: Nine Common Misconceptions About Plasma TVs

unless you're leaving it on one channel and never changing it you will be fine. Gyms and fitness centers are an example of this. The Golds Gym I am a member of actually has the espn logo burned into their LCD tvs. The tvs have probably been there for 3+ years though. With normal usage this should not be an issue on newer plasmas. Now i'm not saying buying a plasma over an lcd or led. Thats all personal preference and where you are putting it in your home. One is not any "better" than another.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a projector. It is the lowest $ per square inch of screen area available and the picture is awesome.

Projectorpeople.com

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Don't even bother buying one right now. This summer they are releasing OLED tvs which are much more advanced than tvs out now. There is no point in buying right now as the most expensive tvs out now will be extremely cheap in the coming months.

Users who are viewing this thread