looking at buying a 98 cobra..........

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
well, the title speaks for itself. i'm an ex GM owner that can't afford monthly payments on a used LS1 and there is no way i'm gonna get no piece of junk import; so my friend at the local dealer is hooking me up with a stock down to the paper filter, 98 cobra M5 with 94K on the clock.
i know nothing of these cars and was wondering if anyone can give me the rundown on what they make stock at the wheels, track times and if is has a future or not. im in school and the payments on it would be really cheap (somewhere around $230 a month) and so therefore ,mods would'nt be a problem.
so...........anyone wanna step up to the plate an help out an uneducated ex-GM owner.:beer:

Last edited:

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackOnBlack
My web site has the stock specs...

http://www.geocities.com/abagne/BlackOnBlackCobra96

Stock, you should run high 13's. Not sure what you mean on whether it has a future or not, but a non-abused '98 with 94K miles still has a lot of fun left in it.

what mods did you have to run that 13.3 @ 108? and when i say if that car has a future, i mean that i'll be happy if i can fix it up to run mid 12's @ at least 114+. i'm guessing that ill have to go forced induction for that.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 5 ltr. beater
what mods did you have to run that 13.3 @ 108? and when i say if that car has a future, i mean that i'll be happy if i can fix it up to run mid 12's @ at least 114+. i'm guessing that ill have to go forced induction for that.

Do the basic bolt on's, and maybe check into a set of cam's, and a good chip tuning, and you should be well into the 12's without a blower. just my .02. That is if you have a problem with forced induction. I want to stay N/A for now, and see how fast i can get down the track once I get my act together.

mambaman

Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
What's a M5?

i'd guess he means five speed manual, since he's aa LS1 guy, and they call their cars either A4's or M6's (automatic 4 speed and manual, six speed respectively)

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by mambaman
i'd guess he means five speed manual, since he's aa LS1 guy, and they call their cars either A4's or M6's (automatic 4 speed and manual, six speed respectively)

yeah...........what he said........thats what i meant. it's a 5spd manual. they don't make automatic cobra's do they?

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
Do the basic bolt on's, and maybe check into a set of cam's, and a good chip tuning, and you should be well into the 12's without a blower. just my .02. That is if you have a problem with forced induction. I want to stay N/A for now, and see how fast i can get down the track once I get my act together.

wow! these cars will run 12's with bolt-ons? nice!!!! please keep in mind that i live here in socal and we dont have as good tracks as you guys have out there back east. but if you say i can hit high 12's at 108 or 109 with just bolt-ons........i'll be more than happy.:rolling:

Dino S.

Established Member
4.30's or 4.56's, longtubes and the rest of it, pulleys, T/A, D/R's, shifter and some good driving you could see 12's, it's been done....

Most cobra drivers seem to have taken a fancy to strapping an S-Trim on the beast and running 11's all day, but to each his own...

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Yup, bolt on and nitrous will get you into the 12's no problem.

what's the safest wet shot of N20 that i can give these cars? (along with boltons of course!) is 125 pushing it? please keep in mind that this is not my daily driver. i have a junky nissan to do my daily driving. i would love to supercharge it but i dont have an extra 3k sitting around to bolt on a KB.

Last edited:

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Yup, bolt on and nitrous will get you into the 12's no problem.

you seem to have some good bolt-ons. what kind of times are you pushing with just a 100 shot and your bolt-ons? will that be enough to take on bolt-on LS1's without heads and cam? i have to be able to hang out with my LS1 friends and i don't want to be left in the dust. :D

97SVTStang

Established Member
This motor can handle about a 150 shot with about 3 to 4 degrees of timing pulled out of the motor while on the nitrous and a secondary fuel pump that also only kicks on with the nitrous. I have 100 shot with stock timing and stock fuel pump and she runs perfect (I run a dry shot though). Hope to put her up to the 150 shot but I have nothing to pull timing out of the motor at this time. This motor loves nitrous, it really wakes her up.

Unfortunally havent made it out to the 1/4 track yet being its about 45 min to and hour away, but I do have an 1/8 track by my house. It runs 7.8's in the 1/8, so do the math I figure low 12's, someone can correct my estimate if Iam wrong, Iam just guessing here. Thats on M/T ET Streets though, gotta have some tires for this car other wise you wont go anywhere.

Last edited:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Get a set of 4.10 or 4.30 gears and subframe connectors to start. With 94k on the drivetrain I would stay away from the N20 and blowers. Do the simple effective bolt-ons and learn to drive the car. Then do the motor with a sweet vortech sq. Just my .02

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 97ws6
Well.

I traded in my LT1 Ws6 and havent looked back yet. Cant go wrong IMO...;)

You're a rare breed.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
You're a rare breed.

Im definatly low on TQ from the LT1, but the Cobra's fun factor far out weighs that of the F Body. Comming from an LS1, he probably doesnt really know what TQ is either. :lol: J/K

Pops still has an LS1, theyre good cars too, but his sure isnt as fun to drive as mine...

JMO...:thumbsup:

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
You're a rare breed.

he had an lt1, not an ls1 :lol1: .....
imo lt1's are worth getting rid of, but ls1's are the shizznit....

well 5.0litr beater .... shut up and get the damn car....
at least you can keep your name cause youll be a 4.6 :kaboom:

BlackCobra96

Originally posted by 5 ltr. beater

Everything listed on the website, namely a Vortech, gears, and exhaust except the Drag Radials.

The times are pathetic for the mods that I have. One of the first things you need to get are tires, such as BFG DR's. I was running P245 Falkens and couldn't get it to hook worth a crap. I wish I got the tires before the supercharger, but it doesn't matter now that I've got both.

Users who are viewing this thread