looking at buying a 98 cobra..........

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
The LS1 would have to put out a little over 480hp to to get that ratio. I have seen to many LS1 blown up trying to achieve this with stock heads. And we are talking about stock from the factory right. I used to be a GM guy, and i know my sheit. High compression ratio and a weak bottom end spells B-O-O-M.

........what r u talking about? we don't have a "weak" bottom end. the LS1 internals are rated up to 600HP before the engine goes "boom".

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not saying that LS1's don't have more horspower, I am saying that the 4v Cobra engine is more efficeient 5.7 liter Vs 4.6 liter. It is a fact. I have people in my family that have LS1's, I know what they do. I know they put out more horsepower. My argument is that our engine is smaller, and puts out a higher hp per liter. you can not contest this. Even if you were putting 350 @ the flywheel it is still only 61.40 hp per liter.

Take the 5.4 liter. probably the closest production ford engine that has nearly the same displacement as the 5.7 liter LS1.. I am talking about the cobra R model. It is basicly a cobra engine with more displacement. it has 70.37 hp per liter. ( now I am not saying, or trying to say that this is what we should compare with the ls1. It is just an example of how much hp our 4v engine would be producing if it was closer in displacemement to the ls1 then our current 4.6 liter is. Overhead cam, especially dual overhead cam engines typically are more efficient. Not always, but typically. They breath better, and are able to rev Higher. I can put a 10 lb blower on my car and make about 420-440 to the rear with the right tune, and maybe more. An ls1 with a 10lb blower and a tune will go pow. Maybe not the first time out, but it will. and it will make more power to the rear than mine with the same blower. Mod for mod, and I know this, because me and my father-in-laws WS6 are currently running this experament, The LS1 will always have more Hp to the rear, but the problem comes when you start dealing with compression ratios, and you have to either change pistons to drop your ratio, or change heads and intake. Mine are very well set. there is not a whole lot of improvement to be had in a 4.6 4v head, other than a good port and polishing. That is why there are not any real good aftermarker head replacements for the 4v. It is about as good as it is goint to get.

Last edited:

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
i agree in certain aspects....
i think the ls1 really shines when it comes to boltons...
i think were both arguing towards different areas....
the ls1 is almost as efficient as a 4 valve. which in my opinion is very impressive... ls1's dont agree with blowers though over 6#'s of boost. ill agree with you on that one. i think thats why most ls1 owners run a 125 shot of nitrous.. on ls1.com sooo many people run nitrous it insane...
as far as n/a goes. a h/c/i ls1 becomes more efficient than a h/c/i 4 valve. granted the cams are the only real aftermarket product while the other two are mainly p&p, but the ls1 all motor can put 450+rwhp ... thats over 500hp on the motor naturally aspirated...
i admire that.
we are just talking about effiency here so please dont bring the 5.4 into it, cause cobras are not running those engines....
i know stock for stock the 4valve does inch out over the ls1 as far efficiency goes, and it demolishes the 2 valve. when modded though the ls1 really shines. it can pick up 150rwhp with h//c/i.
this is the area the 4 valve doesnt shine as much. throw a power adder into the mix and thats anyones game. the ls1 cant go over 6#'s but with 450 rwhp already that lil supercharger will get you 550+ rwhp which i think will make any stock internals go by by (except the 03 cobra :coolman: ) .....
theyre both great engines imo, and i feel the 4.6 (2v and 4v) are better built and more reliable.
i also feel the ls1 is a force to be reckoned with....
if only i could have an 03 cobra and an SS in my garage i would be happy :-D

i go half and half on this one....our cobra engines are more efficient yes, and if we had just as much displacement as an ls1, we would definately make more power, but we dont so thats basically it......and with all the experiments ive seen so far on the different ratios, the cobra wins just because we have a full liter lost and can still make around the same power with some simple bolt ons.....dont get me wrong i love ls1 engines, they are freakin beasts but when it comes down to it, id rather have a more exclusive car with a better name<---haha, our cars are more special anywayz:p

Originally posted by hedstrosity
i agree in certain aspects....
i think the ls1 really shines when it comes to boltons...
i think were both arguing towards different areas....
the ls1 is almost as efficient as a 4 valve. which in my opinion is very impressive... ls1's dont agree with blowers though over 6#'s of boost. ill agree with you on that one. i think thats why most ls1 owners run a 125 shot of nitrous.. on ls1.com sooo many people run nitrous it insane...
as far as n/a goes. a h/c/i ls1 becomes more efficient than a h/c/i 4 valve. granted the cams are the only real aftermarket product while the other two are mainly p&p, but the ls1 all motor can put 450+rwhp ... thats over 500hp on the motor naturally aspirated...
i admire that.
we are just talking about effiency here so please dont bring the 5.4 into it, cause cobras are not running those engines....
i know stock for stock the 4valve does inch out over the ls1 as far efficiency goes, and it demolishes the 2 valve. when modded though the ls1 really shines. it can pick up 150rwhp with h//c/i.
this is the area the 4 valve doesnt shine as much. throw a power adder into the mix and thats anyones game. the ls1 cant go over 6#'s but with 450 rwhp already that lil supercharger will get you 550+ rwhp which i think will make any stock internals go by by (except the 03 cobra :coolman: ) .....
theyre both great engines imo, and i feel the 4.6 (2v and 4v) are better built and more reliable.
i also feel the ls1 is a force to be reckoned with....
if only i could have an 03 cobra and an SS in my garage i would be happy :-D

agreed with ya on that one, cept for the SS part, id rather have a T/A ram air and an 03 cobra:p

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I beat a T/A ram air. It was an auto, But I still Won. a 2002 TA WS6. My exploits have been reviewed on many threads in the forum.

hedstrosity

Established Member
Originally posted by Blk98Cobra
agreed with ya on that one, cept for the SS part, id rather have a T/A ram air and an 03 cobra:p

hmmmm thats a tough one... i totally forgot about the ws6 ....
ill take either one then :rolling:

Originally posted by Hissman
I beat a T/A ram air. It was an auto, But I still Won. a 2002 TA WS6. My exploits have been reviewed on many threads in the forum.
sweet, awesome kill, i have raced 1 ls1, and it was an A4 z28, i got a good 2-3 car jump on him at first and by the time i was going into 3rd i had about 2 bumper lengths on him still and then we had to slow cus of traffic:(, kool guy though

Dave07997S

Established Member
My 98 Mustang Cobra bone stock down to the paper air filter ran a [email protected] with a 2.17 60 ft. time. The problem is getting the Cobra above 3250 when the IMRC's open as quickly as possible. This will require quite a bit of feathering of the clutch to accomplish this. BTW, with a Bassani X pipe with cats, 3.73's, Dynomax UltraFlo Catback, and with a K&N no silencer I ran a 13.28 @105.6mph @7K rpm in 3rd gear bumping against the rev limiter. Dave.

i havent taken my cobra to the track yet....im gonna wait till i get my nittos and then probably next spring when i get new exhaust, i have flowmasters mufflers right now, the dude that had the car be4 me put it on, im lookin at going with a bassani x pipe with cats, then if i have some left over $$$ ill get 4.10's:), then ill run her. Only reason i dont wanna run her now is cus im still gettin used to it. If i do goto the track ill make sure and post my times, but if its above 13.99 im not posting:D

hedstrosity

Established Member
Originally posted by 5 ltr. beater
there is no way i'm gonna get no piece of junk import

:lol:

rolling a riced out maxima with an electric qtp cutout :rollseyes , a "GROUND" (wires) kit \:??: , toggle switches up the a$$ to turn on and off everything unnecessarily :nonono: , gives mad props and respect to 15 second preludes now :shrug: :loser: :kaboom: :idea: ....
well the ex gm owner didnt go ford, he forgot all his roots and is a ricer now. im hoping he sees this cause i want to know what the hell happened to him.
maxima.org is his new hangout.... what a sad sad thing. i dont think ive ever seen anything like this happen before :bash:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Who cares about efficiency? If I win, I win. I don't care if I make 1hp per liter. Here are some of my times that my car has done with bolt-ons. Heads, cams, intake, and shortblock all stock.

[email protected](1.98 60ft) On radials(non-drag radial)
[email protected] (1.74 60ft) on 17" nitto drag radials
[email protected] (1.73 60ft) on 15" BFG DR's(some weight reduction
[email protected] I'm hoping for, or a high 11 with slicks. Just got some 26x10's. So with a 1.5ish 60ft and good weather I got a shot. Hope this helps. -Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread