looking at buying a 98 cobra..........

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
I agree...And another thing is that ,we can actually just have our intakes and heads ported and our power would not be limited by our heads....I doubt you can keep stock heads on an LS 1 and I know you can't keep stock heads on a 5.0L and expect to see above 500 rwhp...And it's been done many times on 4V engines using the stock cobra intake and stock heads with a port job...
my friends ss put down 386 rwhp with full exhaust and a cam... with headwork and an aftermarket cam.... ls1's can make 500hp ALL motor... they make 450+ rwhp ...
show me how they arent easil as efficient as a 32 valve ...
if you think you have an argument there you need to go research the ls1 a little bit

Last edited:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by hedstrosity
... they make 450+ rwhp with heads and cams...

Here you just said it for me...You just posted yourself "with HEADS and cam "......You can keep your stock heads on a 4V and see 500 plus...You wouldn't need aftermarket heads....Read my post closer :read: :dw: :bored:

hedstrosity

Established Member
ok stock cobra 260-270 rwhp ....
stock ls1 295-320 rwhp (theyre under rated for you guys who havent done any research, they put these kind of numbers down bone stock very easily)
the cobra makes 58.6 hp per liter and .96 hp per cubic inch to the wheels.
the ls1 makes 56.1 hp per liter and .92 hp per cubic inch to the wheels.

what does a cobra make with headwork and cams?
im gonnna guess around 340-350 rwhp... an ls1 does 100 rwhp over that with good heads and a cam...
the stock heads on an ls1 are very good, they are not a bottleneck like the heads on an old 5.0.... but there is still huge power to find out of some aftermarket ones

hedstrosity

Established Member
... they make 450+ rwhp with heads and cams...

Here you just said it for me...You just posted yourself "with HEADS and cam "......You can keep your stock heads on a 4V and see 500 plus...You wouldn't need aftermarket heads....Read my post closer :read: :dw: :bored:

500 hp naturally aspirated?
got any links... i dont believe that ...
the ls1 will do it all motor

Established Member
I know what both put down stock..I just mentioned that the power to the 4V is not limited by it's stock intake and heads...And I never even mentioned the addition of aftermarket cams which,yes,would help alot.....I'm not trying to argue with you,I'm just making a point as to why the aftermarket hasn't picked up on making intakes and heads for the 4V due to their efficiency..I assure you that the flow on a set of ported 4V heads is not matched by a set of heads on any LS1...Thus my statement as to the intake and heads not being the limiting factor for more power...Why do you think the 4V engines take to turbos and blowers so well....?

Established Member

Where ever did I say that this would be accomplished NA.....I never said that...I just said they could accomplish this with the use of stock heads and cams...:idea:

hedstrosity

Established Member
I know what both put down stock..I just mentioned that the power to the 4V is not limited by it's stock intake and heads...And I never even mentioned the addition of aftermarket cams which,yes,would help alot.....I'm not trying to argue with you,I'm just making a point as to why the aftermarket hasn't picked up on making intakes and heads for the 4V due to their efficiency..I assure you that the flow on a set of ported 4V heads is not matched by a set of heads on any LS1...Thus my statement as to the intake and heads not being the limiting factor for more power...Why do you think the 4V engines take to turbos and blowers so well....?

if you read back to my first post on thins then you would see that was my point...
i stated there may not ever be an intake/head aftermarket for our 4.6's due to their efficiency... r&d, castings, etc... for a few hp unlike the old 5.0's that really gained alot from it....
id like to see some flow number of stock ls1 heads vs. the 32 valve.. i think that would be interesting :coolman:

hedstrosity

Established Member
Where ever did I say that this would be accomplished NA.....I never said that...I just said they could accomplish this with the use of stock heads and cams...:idea:

i know, but i was talking about n/a potential...
if you want to talk power adders then thats another beast...
im talking n/a vs n/a...
that was my point.

Established Member
my friends ss put down 386 rwhp with full exhaust and a cam... with headwork and an aftermarket cam.... ls1's can make 500hp ALL motor... they make 450+ rwhp ...
show me how they arent easil as efficient as a 32 valve ...
if you think you have an argument there you need to go research the ls1 a little bit

Nice edit work...I see you changed your original statement...:bored:

Established Member
i know, but i was talking about n/a potential...
if you want to talk power adders then thats another beast...
im talking n/a vs n/a...
that was my point.

NA versus NA was never brought up...The only thing that was brought up was their efficiency ...I'll leave it at that.I have to go to work now...You do make some good points.It just seems that we're arguing about 2 diff. issues...:??:

hedstrosity

Established Member
NA versus NA was never brought up...The only thing that was brought up was their efficiency ...I'll leave it at that.I have to go to work now...You do make some good points.It just seems that we're arguing about 2 diff. issues...:??:

agreed....
i like both engines....
i dont have either though :kaboom:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
A stock LS1 , figuring 335 HP to the flywheel ..58.77 hp per liter.

The Cobra engine Stock @ 305 hp puts out 66.30 hp per liter.

The ls1 would need to put out just below 380 to the Flywheel to be as efficient as the Cobra engine. That is all this thread should be about. Liter for liter. horsepower for horsepower. Stock for stock. The Cobra 4V engine is more efficient. To say otherwise makes you look like a jackass.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Now, take the 03 Cobra, and it has a Factory rating..and we all know it is underrated...of 390 hp (with a blower, but bring what you've got.) and it has an efficiency of 84.78 hp per liter. The LS1 would have to put out a little over 480hp to to get that ratio. I have seen to many LS1 blown up trying to achieve this with stock heads. And we are talking about stock from the factory right. I used to be a GM guy, and i know my sheit. High compression ratio and a weak bottom end spells B-O-O-M.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The LS6 in the Zo6 has a ratio of 71.05 hp per liter. Still way off of the mark compared to the SC 03-04 Cobra.

hedstrosity

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
A stock LS1 , figuring 335 HP to the flywheel ..58.77 hp per liter.

The Cobra engine Stock @ 305 hp puts out 66.30 hp per liter.

The ls1 would need to put out just below 380 to the Flywheel to be as efficient as the Cobra engine. That is all this thread should be about. Liter for liter. horsepower for horsepower. Stock for stock. The Cobra 4V engine is more efficient. To say otherwise makes you look like a jackass.

and to say that some stock ls1's dont put 320 to the wheels would make you look like a jack ass.. i already did a liter for liter comparison that is much more realistic than yours...
quit comparing factory ratings, cause its a well known fact the ls1 is seriously under rated

hj16

Established Member
The highest I've heard for a street driven 4.6L NA Cobra is 460~rwhp

The highest street driven NA 4V I've heard of is WAY over 500rwhp. And thats a fairer comparison as that was achieved with a 5.4L.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
The LS1 isn't near as efficient as ours is. You have to think about it. It is approximately 347 ci. ours is 281 ci. and with a ouple bolt on's we make as much power.

dude.......was that a joke or are you for real? not as efficient? with bolt ons your car is lucky if it see 300rwhp. i put that down in my Z28 and more with just free mods!

Users who are viewing this thread