looking at buying a 98 cobra..........

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackOnBlack
Everything listed on the website, namely a Vortech, gears, and exhaust except the Drag Radials.

dam........you only trap 108 with the vorthech? i thought you would trap more. :??:

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
Originally posted by 5 ltr. beater
dam........you only trap 108 with the vorthech? i thought you would trap more. :??:
cant be right ....
300rwhp mustangs about trap that....
8lbs of boost is gonna be at leat 400rwhp...
has to be a typo....
400rwhp has to be around 114-117

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Originally posted by 97ws6
Well.

I traded in my LT1 Ws6 and havent looked back yet. Cant go wrong IMO...;)

i got rid of my LT1 too, but i decided to get an LS1 'cause it was the only car able to push low 13's, high 12's with just free mods. and the 03 cobra wasn't available yet.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by hedstrosity
he had an lt1, not an ls1 :lol1: .....
imo lt1's are worth getting rid of, but ls1's are the shizznit....

Id rather have an LT1 than an LS1...But thats just me. :)

hedstrosity

Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
Agreed....If I didn't have my 4V anyway...:beer:

why would you guys rather have an lt1?
imo theyre like comparing the 01 cobra to an 03 cobra ...
i like the ls1, but have hardly ever been impressed with the lt1 ...

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
The ego that seemingly comes with the Ls1. :p

Theyre nice motors indeed, but I love the low down TQ of the LT1.

I easily put 3-4 cars on my dads (13.3/104) z28 out of the hole. After that is really where the LS1 shines, and he would stomp me, but for the commute around town, the TQ > high end power...:)

hedstrosity

Established Member
The ego that seemingly comes with the Ls1. :p

Theyre nice motors indeed, but I love the low down TQ of the LT1.

I easily put 3-4 cars on my dads (13.3/104) z28 out of the hole. After that is really where the LS1 shines, and he would stomp me, but for the commute around town, the TQ > high end power...:)

interesting.. i didnt know the lt1 had more low down torque....
are you sure it just isnt gearing, or are the trannies the same :shrug: ....
i know what attitude your talking about with the ls1 guys.. alot think its the alpha and omega of muscle cars. especially five liter beater here thats thinking about getting a cobra :-D ...

ohhhh yeah ...
can u guys explain to him that with a 4.10 gear that our stangs are still capable of doing 150+ mph ....
i keep trying to explain to him that the stock gears are geared to go over 200mph but the vehicle is limited by hosepower, suspension, and aerodynamics...
i know my 02 gt can hit 150mph+ with the 4.10 and the cobra is a higher revving engine .....

hopefully this guy blinded by the ls1 (fiveliterbeater) gets this cobra and sees the potential of it too.
cause he's jus a big :loser:

:coolman:

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Same tranny, same gears. :)

I thought I had a pic of me getting a huge jump on 'pops' at the track, but I dont. :( Heres a pic of the two tho...
P1010010.jpg

My LT1 put down 261rwhp/292rwtq with basically just a cutout. So the TQ factor is way there...heres a link to the graph. http://www.indi-x.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album19&id=graph

The Tq is the only thing I miss about that car. The other problems obviously werent worth it anymore... The overall driveability of the Cobra is a lot better tho....Cant say I regret the decision one bit.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Id rather have an LT1 than an LS1...But thats just me. :)

jeez..........i thought i'd never hear that one! after i got rid of my LT1, i never looked back. i was walking over LT1's from a roll and from a start. it got really bad for LT1's when i got my DR's.
to be honest, LT1's would "hang" with me for a while in the start, but after that it was pretty much over.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member

hopefully this guy blinded by the ls1 (fiveliterbeater) gets this cobra and sees the potential of it too.
cause he's jus a big :loser:

:coolman:

F-U bitch!!!! hahahaha. anyway, i'm going to talk to the guy on monday and find out what the deal is. as for power adder......i'm going to go with a wet 125 shot, plus the bolt-ons. that should be able to hold off my freinds LS1's for a while.:-D

hj16

Established Member
98 Cobra eh??? and you want to run 12s.

4.30s
BFG DRs
Longtubes
Mid-pipe
Cat Back
Pulleys
Chip

If you know how to launch and drive a stick at the track this combo could net you 12.4-12.6@108+

hj16

Established Member
I thought I had a pic of me getting a huge jump on 'pops' at the track, but I dont. :( Heres a pic of the two tho...
P1010010.jpg
That track looks damn familiar ;-) Next summer you should hook up with us 03 guys when we go to 66 :thumbsup:

hj16

Established Member
Why? You want a whipping boy? :lol:
No. There are some of us who are eternally stuck in the 13s *cough* Cliff *cough*

The more snakes to roll with the better :D

CY98Cobra

Established Member
you couldnt give me any lt1 ls1 ws6 or any piece of crap that gm is in charge of. ford is the only way to go. the only problem with the 4.6l is the lack of aftermarket heads and intakes, unlike the 5.0l which everyone with a garage has there own heads and intake. if a company would come out with different heads and intake they would make a fortune.

hedstrosity

Established Member
Originally posted by Black98COBRA
you couldnt give me any lt1 ls1 ws6 or any piece of crap that gm is in charge of. ford is the only way to go. the only problem with the 4.6l is the lack of aftermarket heads and intakes, unlike the 5.0l which everyone with a garage has there own heads and intake. if a company would come out with different heads and intake they would make a fortune.

you gotta wonder if they havent come out with any heads because there's not much power to be made over the stock gt or 32 valve head (99+ of course) .
you figure most older 5.0's with H/C/I only put down around 280-290rwhp.... my car put down 283 rwhp and 29X rwtq with cams and bullitt intake. thats pretty damn close to a 5.0 if you ask me.
what could some aftermarket heads really do fo us?
the 4 valves already breath like a mofo as is, and the 2 valves are ok.
on an older 5.0 with ALL boltons you could usually expect to pick up 30-40 rwhp with heads, but thats because the stock cast iron e7 heads were complete junk. our heads arent junk, which is what i think causes the aftermarket head problem.. all the r&d put into some aftermarkets, new castings, and all the other testing invo;ved just to pick up the same horsepower someone else will get just by p&p'ing their own heads.
it would be nice though to see some good aluminum intakes come out that were under $700. the new fox lake p51 is pre-selling right now for $1,200. a bullitt intake is only $700 + all the hardware +$700 more and its a good intake. my power curve was really nice below the peak power band it gained all the way through....
well see what engine ford goes with in the 05. if its the all mighty 3 valve everyone is talking about then the aftermarket may not ever come out heads for our cars.

its funny how the "old technology" pushrod ls1 engine is just as efficient as our 32 valve cobra engine... it must have a really good design, cause they can get 450+rwhp with H/C/I ...
which is why i admire the ls1 so much.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

its funny how the "old technology" pushrod ls1 engine is just as efficient as our 32 valve cobra engine... it must have a really good design, cause they can get 450+rwhp with H/C/I ...
which is why i admire the ls1 so much.

The LS1 isn't near as efficient as ours is. You have to think about it. It is approximately 347 ci. ours is 281 ci. and with a ouple bolt on's we make as much power.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I agree...And another thing is that ,we can actually just have our intakes and heads ported and our power would not be limited by our heads....I doubt you can keep stock heads on an LS 1 and I know you can't keep stock heads on a 5.0L and expect to see above 500 rwhp...And it's been done many times on 4V engines using the stock cobra intake and stock heads with a port job...

Users who are viewing this thread