Losing interest in this hobby fast….

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm familiar with the feeling between stalled builds, tracks closing and covid destroying most of the local scene I was in the car just sits...

I was gonna take it out last weekend then I noticed the rear end has gear oil on it so gotta jack it up and see wtf.... not sure if I over-filled a tad and it's just coming out the vent or what (had it apart to pull the axles and change caliper mount brackets). So tired of fixing things at this point.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If it's paid for, not taking up needed space, and you don't need the fluid cash, hang on to the car. As mentioned, interests and responsibilities evolve as we age. That said, I hardly drive my car these days, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let her go just because of how I feel one day. I know that I couldn't replace it without waiting, digging, and probably paying out my ass these days.

Strap those parts on her and see what happens. Even if you're not feeling the love right now, it'll give you a project to focus on. And then when it's all done, you can enjoy the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment. Not saying you do nor do I claim to be a doc, but as someone who has dealt with depression for most of my adult life, I find that when I'm feeling low, the best way to turn my mood around is to do something constructive. Clean the garage, detail the car, work on the yard, do something for someone else...etc. And, most importantly, crack a beer or twelve when you're done.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It’s not solely the gas prices. I work from home. Trust me, I spend a fraction of what most of you spend in gas. It’s the trajectory and what the gas prices are telling us. This is a hobby with an end date. Might be far away, might not…we won’t know.

I’m just not seeing an optimistic outlook and it’s affecting how I view this hobby.

It is a bummer. The writing is on the wall, it's going to be a rich man's hobby like horses. Maybe if you're lucky they'll carve out an exemption for historic cars in some places. But you'll need big bucks for fees, parts, fuel, and of course the real estate to enjoy it on your own. The golden age is over- but you can still enjoy a little while you can, before it's too exclusive.

Car shows are boring as hell imo.

Not a fan of the New Balance and jorts crowd with their window stickers?

Zemedici

Established Member
Dude, tell me about it.

Kong ****ed up the snout and I had everything back together only to find smoke pouring out from under the hood when we started it up. The pulley was rubbing against the snout due to his "tolerances."

He ghosted me when I tried to get it fixed. I sent him a ton of emails and called him 4 times a day for a week. It was not until I flamed him on corvette forum did he get back to me.

When I got it back he did not clearance the snout for the waterpump so it snapped the inlet when we mounted it. I called synergy to get their thoughts and they told me what to do. They premount their blowers when they do snout jobs to make sure everything clears and will clearance them if they do not. Seems like basic shit to me but Kong does not do this. My heads are milled so it may not have mattered either way. He could have given a heads up at the very least.

Here are a couple of pics. I have some new shoes that are going on it that will look awesome.

View attachment 1749774
View attachment 1749775

Yup, same ‘handiwork’ I’ve seen.

Had him do a snout on a RedEye when they came out and it came back to me with holes in it, send back to him for repair and it comes back with JB weld all over it. I said that’s not gonna work as it’s a brand new $75,000 car, not a ****ing 99 GT mustang.

Eventually got him to buy us a replacement snout.

Move on to next experience with him, he had a hold on the 108mm hellcat TBs, Nick Williams was referring everyone to Kong for them instead of selling them to customers.

I had a list of 10 TBs on order for different customers. I could never get updates. I would call and call and call, no answer. Same with emails, but the MINUTE i would email asking to refund, he would do it immediately. Guy runs the ‘shop’ out of his house, which is fine if you’re on top of shit, but a pretty bad look when you’re not . I’ll never use another Kong product. Jokerz or bust for me. Brett is an interesting guy, but ALWAYS stands behind his work. Extremely knowledgeable on the blowers / tolerances / material differences & strengths. He’s always trying to up his own game.

Car looks sick man. Let us know how it when she’s done!

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, same ‘handiwork’ I’ve seen.

Had him do a snout on a RedEye when they came out and it came back to me with holes in it, send back to him for repair and it comes back with JB weld all over it. I said that’s not gonna work as it’s a brand new $75,000 car, not a ****ing 99 GT mustang.

Eventually got him to buy us a replacement snout.

Move on to next experience with him, he had a hold on the 108mm hellcat TBs, Nick Williams was referring everyone to Kong for them instead of selling them to customers.

I had a list of 10 TBs on order for different customers. I could never get updates. I would call and call and call, no answer. Same with emails, but the MINUTE i would email asking to refund, he would do it immediately. Guy runs the ‘shop’ out of his house, which is fine if you’re on top of shit, but a pretty bad look when you’re not . I’ll never use another Kong product. Jokerz or bust for me. Brett is an interesting guy, but ALWAYS stands behind his work. Extremely knowledgeable on the blowers / tolerances / material differences & strengths. He’s always trying to up his own game.

Car looks sick man. Let us know how it when she’s done!

I forgot to add this, you will love it. When he sent the first snout the TB was mounted horizontally. When he sent it back it was mounted vertically. My tuner was like WTF? It actually worked better mounted vertically LOL.

Zemedici

Established Member
I forgot to add this, you will love it. When he sent the first snout the TB was mounted horizontally. When he sent it back it was mounted vertically. My tuner was like WTF? It actually worked better mounted vertically LOL.

Pfff hahahaha

Yeah dude, guys all over the place. 99.9% sure he’s a one man operation, which i respect, but part of running a business is understanding when you need to hire people lolol

01yellercobra

Established Member
Op I've felt this way for past 5yrs. My son is turning 18 in august and he's the reason I'm still in it. The way he explains things on the cobra to his friends makes me smile., his enthusiasm about learning or just detailing car is why I haven't sold old redfire.

Chin up and let the car sit for 5yrs with parts on the floor. 5 yrs from now it'll still be a badass car and maybe you'll be in again..
My son has managed to get bitten by the car bug. Though he switched to the dark side a while ago. There's currently a GS300 in my garage going through a single turbo swap. But I couldn't tell you how many times I've walked out to the garage after him and his friends were out there to find my hood up. Apparently they were doing the King of the Hill routine looking at everything.

As for shows and meets, I enjoy them. My buddy and I did a small show and meet last weekend. There's usually a decent mix. At the last big show I went to I couldn't make it more than a couple rows before running into someone I know. Maybe it's my area. But the people I run into at my shows have similar interests and it's always a good time. And the drive up and back is always fun.

Zemedici

Established Member
My son has managed to get bitten by the car bug. Though he switched to the dark side a while ago. There's currently a GS300 in my garage going through a single turbo swap. But I couldn't tell you how many times I've walked out to the garage after him and his friends were out there to find my hood up. Apparently they were doing the King of the Hill routine looking at everything.

As for shows and meets, I enjoy them. My buddy and I did a small show and meet last weekend. There's usually a decent mix. At the last big show I went to I couldn't make it more than a couple rows before running into someone I know. Maybe it's my area. But the people I run into at my shows have similar interests and it's always a good time. And the drive up and back is always fun.

Lol’d at ‘king of the hill routine’

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It's sad to hear about that happening in other places. Our local tracks are closing down one after another and giving in to housing and outdoor malls.

the main 1/4 mile track is doing better than ever under new owners. We had an 1/8 mile track and an area they did auto-x etc for a couple years, but it closed years ago. Such bullshit, county commissioners were out racing a prius vs some other POS when they had the grand opening then when neighbors complained about noise they acted like they never knew anything and shut it down.

the only good side to shit slowing down is looks SCCA might start doing more events in the giant convention center parking lot, just need to get my POS to quit acting up

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
It is a bummer. The writing is on the wall, it's going to be a rich man's hobby like horses. Maybe if you're lucky they'll carve out an exemption for historic cars in some places. But you'll need big bucks for fees, parts, fuel, and of course the real estate to enjoy it on your own. The golden age is over- but you can still enjoy a little while you can, before it's too exclusive.

While overall, i agree this is the future, unless something changes.

But I’ll say it will be a longggg while before any of that shit happens imo. Gas is what i am worried about but hopefully the next election brings it back down to planet earth.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I am *this close* to finishing up my ZR1 and cannot wait to get it out. **** yall.
My z06 is getting tuned Monday

OP, maybe drag racing is on a slight decline but it seems you personally just lost the desire for the car scene, it happens to a lot of people

but, a TRUE car enthusiast is going to enjoy their cars until the day they die. You live in Missouri not ****ing comifornia, get out there and mod that shit and love the car for what it is.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Lol’d at ‘king of the hill routine’

king-of-the-hill-koth.gif

Adower

Established Member
Just wait it out. My car sat for dang near 4 years after having my daughter. I was pretty close to selling it a few times. However, I chose to tuck it away in the garage. Now that my daughter is 6 now and more independent her highlight of the day is taking the cobra to school in the morning. I enjoy every minute of it.

Users who are viewing this thread