LOUD ticking on start-up. Dang. Let's see what it is!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Nice work glad it was something minor. How hard was it to do the blue valve covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Nice work glad it was something minor. How hard was it to do the blue valve covers?

It was actually pretty easy with Ebay's Buy It Now option! :beer: BUT, We did strip the paint off of the old covers so they could be painted, and that really wasn't that hard to do. Spray on aircraft aluminum stripper, we used 2 cans.

If you are talking about changing the covers out on the car, it's not really difficult, just a little time consuming bc you have to undo the clutch cable AND take off the power brake booster from the firewall.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It was actually pretty easy with Ebay's Buy It Now option! :beer: BUT, We did strip the paint off of the old covers so they could be painted, and that really wasn't that hard to do. Spray on aircraft aluminum stripper, we used 2 cans.

If you are talking about changing the covers out on the car, it's not really difficult, just a little time consuming bc you have to undo the clutch cable AND take off the power brake booster from the firewall.

It's on my list of things to do. A friend of mines 13 GT500 has them from the factory and they look so much better than the silver our Cobra's came with. What did you do about the master cylinder? Drain the brake fluid so you did not spill any on the paint?

silver03svt

Established Member
It's on my list of things to do. A friend of mines 13 GT500 has them from the factory and they look so much better than the silver our Cobra's came with. What did you do about the master cylinder? Drain the brake fluid so you did not spill any on the paint?

No. No need to drain it. It is sealed. But you do need to unhook the master from the booster, then unhook the booster from the firewall. The booster needs to be pulled towards the inner fender (use cardboard to avoid scratches) so the cover can come out. I think mine was made a bit easier to remove also because the Eaton and fuel rails were off.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
No. No need to drain it. It is sealed. But you do need to unhook the master from the booster, then unhook the booster from the firewall. The booster needs to be pulled towards the inner fender (use cardboard to avoid scratches) so the cover can come out. I think mine was made a bit easier to remove also because the Eaton and fuel rails were off.

Thanks for the tips.

silver03svt

Established Member
Started reassembly today. Pulled the passenger side tensioner off and found that the gasket behind it also had a rip in it. Got them replaced, timing cover back on, cam covers back on, buttoned up the brake booster and reservoir, clutch cable reconnected, etc........ I still have quite a ways to go before she is ready to be fired up, but I am hoping by Saturday it'll be ready. A few pics from tonight.

20160824_202931_zpsugiinb9z.jpg

20160824_202936_zpswojhsofd.jpg

20160824_202945_zps6loxh13m.jpg

silver03svt

Established Member
A little more reassembly last night. Was working by myself, so I just took my time putting things back on.

20160825_173726_zpsvjo4s3od.jpg

20160825_173659_zps71eljqm1.jpg

20160825_185156_zpsghvpugrm.jpg

silver03svt

Established Member
^ Thanks. I've always loved the Ford Racing blue cam covers on the 4v motors, and I fell in love with the coil covers because they remind me of the old school 260/289/302/351 valve covers. Just couldn't resist the combo!

silver03svt

Established Member
^ It's a 2lb lower....I run it with a 2.9 upper. She sees 16 lbs of boost.

silver03svt

Established Member
Spent last night and today getting everything all buttoned up, and fired the old girl up. No tick on initial start-up, which is an oh-so-sweet sound! Also, I had to install a new headlight panel because the car's original one had a broken tab where the bumper attaches just inside of the driver's headlight.

Few pics and a quick vid.

20160826_194858_zpsoxddrrit.jpg

20160826_194904_zpslyzjxhpa.jpg

20160826_194912_zpsbpdxuh4i.jpg

20160826_194921_zpshxm5d8lg.jpg

20160827_171330_zpsijahlz2p.jpg

[youtube_browser]mBH-OB6ENj4[/youtube_browser]

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Huh? Explain please.
From the video, it seems you have a passenger side breather. On the drivers side it looks like you are still running the PCV system. This would create unmetered air "after" the MAF.

Remember, one valve cover shares the same crankcase air as the other. So you either run 2 breathers or none.

silver03svt

Established Member
From the video, it seems you have a passenger side breather. On the drivers side it looks like you are still running the PCV system. This would create unmetered air "after" the MAF.

Remember, one valve cover shares the same crankcase air as the other. So you either run 2 breathers or none.

Gotcha. I was planning on doing a breather on the driver's side too, but I was unsure what to do with the vacuum line that goes down behind the engine behind the blower. I know I can just cap the Eaton itself, but there is that T-connection just before that.

Could I just cap the side of the T off that comes from the driver's side PCV?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread