Low Mileage Cobra- Drive it?

snakezilla

Established Member
No offense but your car already has too many miles on it to bring a premium in the market anyway, now if it had less than 5k miles and you kept it that low, maybe in 20 years you might make a few bucks. Like others have said drive it

Bingo... I bought mine with 25k miles and now she's at 39k. That was in 07. I don't DD it but she is my weekend warrior. The sun is out the beast comes out...

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
as one of those guys who owns a low mileage car ( I have 14k on mine ) I can tell you that I enjoy my car very much. My definitlion of enjoyment and everyone else is different though.

It's all about your life style and personal enjoyment. I enjoy driving my car just as much as the guy who has 300k on it.......i get the same sort of personal satisfaction

I can relate to you though, I don't beat on the car ( except for the occasional highway pull) out of respect.

Its all about your preferences and how you enjoy it

You sound a lot like me in the way you use and enjoy your car, and have around the same mileage (I just hit 15k). I personally get my enjoyment from building, detailing, etc., more than actually racking up mileage.;-)

gtmustang00

Established Member
Local driving and storing the car in the winter doesn't add up to a lot of mileage. Father and i have only put 15k miles on it since 03, and 1000 of it was driving it from Ohio to DC and back to NH.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Bought mine a year ago, put close to 4k miles on it. Wouldn't have it any other way, I love getting in it every weekend or so and getting the "O" factor. If I drove it everyday I think I would get bored. But to each there own!

trickability

Established Member
I say drive it as much as you want, life is to short to worry about putting miles on a car. I am amazed at the soaking a lot of original owners have taken on their cars, whenever I read about a 03/04 being purchased with only 3, 5, 10K miles on it.

I can't even imagine spending ~15K to own/drive a car for less than 10K miles.
Love your romans 8:28...... I went down the Romans road may 27 1995 on a sat at 2:00 in the evening in my living room floor. Got on my knees by myself and stood up with Christ holding me in his arms. Keep that faith brother and look for Trickability in heaven......

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Drive it, so there are less low-mileage terminators out there, like mine, and we can get a premium for them in later years. :D

Vincenthdfan

Established Member
There may be a reasonable amount of Terminators out there on the road right now, but there used to be quite a few old school Fastbacks, Mach 1's, and Boss 302's out there at one point in time too.

Now through years of attrition, collectors, etc...those cars are fetching a fortune.

Someday, through the unique story and history of these cars (Terminators) and fairly limited run of them, they too will become pretty rare and will certainly be worth something in the collectors marketplace.

It may take a while, but someday, people will be scouring parts bins, reproduction sites, etc... for parts to restore our present day Terminators.

Its only a matter of time...

Vincent

Cosmicdrifter

Established Member
An average 1969 Boss 302 sells for about $50,000-$75,000 and it has a race heritage that is significant.

That is 42 years after it sold for $3,000. If you sell your terminator and invest the proceeds in mutual funds, in 32 years it will be worth several hundred thousand dollars.

How much will a Terminator be worth? There in lies the folly of holding on to a car you like in hopes it will bring a lot of money. Meanwhile, you miss all the fun of driving the car.

It does not compute.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my 03 in april 2010 with 20k on the ticker. Today it only has 23k on it. It gets stored for 5 months out of the year, and in the summer I driver it a couple times a week. These cars are to much fun to drive, it's best to have fun with it!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Drive it, so there are less low-mileage terminators out there, like mine, and we can get a premium for them in later years. :D

i predict that 40 years from now my 350k mile terminator would fetch the same money as your 20k mile terminator.

i say that based on the market for old musclecars, where, as long as the vin for the unibody is intact, a buyer won't be looking so much at the mileage as the overall condition or potential for restoration.

in the meantime i will have 40 years of fun memories and enjoyment of driving it, which imo is what its really all about :burnout:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
well said!!

i predict that 40 years from now my 350k mile terminator would fetch the same money as your 20k mile terminator.

i say that based on the market for old musclecars, where, as long as the vin for the unibody is intact, a buyer won't be looking so much at the mileage as the overall condition or potential for restoration.

in the meantime i will have 40 years of fun memories and enjoyment of driving it, which imo is what its really all about :burnout:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Couldn't agree with you more! These guys sitting on these cars hoping they are one day going to command this big sum of money down the road are fooling themselves. You will be old with old reflexes and you'll be lucky if your Cobra would even bring as much as it sold for new in 03-04! The classic cars like the '67 Shelby GT500 and the 427SC Cobra are long gone never to be repeated! Hell now a 20 year old car is not considered an antique or classic car anymore. The rules have changed on that from what I've heard? To put in into perspective I just looked at a 1992 Fox body Mustang V8 LX Vert in mint condition with only 10K all original miles and it was selling for only $13,888. So this owner barley drove this car for 20 years and it's not even worth what he paid for it :bored: Some guys enjoy watching and some guys enjoy playing, to each their own.

Now if you have stupid money and this car is just one of the many toys in your warehouse than by all means put it up on blocks throw a car cover on her and use the lambo as your DD:rolling:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Go to AutoTrader and look at the Terminators. You will see the prices on Terminators with 900 miles and with up to 130,000+.

You will see the relationship between miles and price. Of course, nobody is going to get their asking price so discount each car a couple of thousand.

The relationship between miles and asking price is not linear; it is curvilinear.

The big price break is for cars with over 60,000 miles; then asking prices fall below $20,000. Until that point, it is all over the map. Their are some cars with 30,000 miles priced the same as cars with 4,000.

Bottom line is that you can put 40,000 miles on your car and not lose more than a few thousand dollars. Unless you put lots of money into extras.

I bought mine with 1,200 miles on it last January and it now has 4,000 (plus $13,000 worth of extras). I cannot understand why anyone would buy a depreciating asset (which cars definitely are) and park it in the garage and watch the value go down.

It will be MANY years before Terminators have collection value. Muscle cars only achieved that status after 20+ years. Now, with high horsepower cars flying off the production lines, it bodes poorly for the collectibility value of the Terminator.

I kind of see your point, but I'm not sure why you think that the collectible status of these cars is related somehow to the hp. These cars will always have an intrinsic collectible status because they are a limited production SVT Cobra. Having the supercharged engine was ground breaking, and makes them desirable, no doubt, but it isn't the whole picture. Look at how collectible the '93 Cobra is, and it doesn't have crap for power compared to even most 4 cylinder cars these days! I don't think that having other high hp cars in the marketplace has any effect at all on the desirable nature of these cars.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Couldn't agree with you more! These guys sitting on these cars hoping they are one day going to command this big sum of money down the road are fooling themselves. You will be old with old reflexes and you'll be lucky if your Cobra would even bring as much as it sold for new in 03-04! The classic cars like the '67 Shelby GT500 and the 427SC Cobra are long gone never to be repeated! Hell now a 20 year old car is not considered an antique or classic car anymore. The rules have changed on that from what I've heard? To put in into perspective I just looked at a 1992 Fox body Mustang V8 LX Vert in mint condition with only 10K all original miles and it was selling for only $13,888. So this owner barley drove this car for 20 years and it's not even worth what he paid for it :bored: Some guys enjoy watching and some guys enjoy playing, to each their own.

Now if you have stupid money and this car is just one of the many toys in your warehouse than by all means put it up on blocks throw a car cover on her and use the lambo as your DD:rolling:

Not true, in fact that is very likely what the car sold for new, and that is pretty amazing considering that car was not rare, or even had any collectible pedigree at all. I also wouldn't assume he didn't drive it because he thought he could retire on the proceeds of it's sale someday either. It's likely that it was just his weekend/sunny day hot rod, so he didn't use it like a DD. I barely put 500 miles on mine this whole season, but it wasn't because I'm trying to keep the mileage down for future value. I just have a good DD that I don't even rack the miles up on either, and always seem to be busy with family, or other activities so the Cobra gets pulled out very rarely. I probably spent 10 times as many hours working on it this past year as driving it, but that's fine with me. You guys that use them as your DD, that's great, but I will still be enjoying my still new, old car 20 years from now when most of the DD and racecars will be trashed, parted, or otherwise no longer functioning. Just the way it is... Oh, and that my friends is what will make my low mileage Terminator more valuable than the average one still around...;-)

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I bought mine with about 1,800 in 2005, and now it has about 8,500 miles. I drive it a lot, I just don't go very far lol

Vincenthdfan

Established Member

I think thats the point that I was trying to make in my original post.

I dont think the miles will be that big of a deal as much as originality, or at least the foundation to put it back to original.

I see so many collectible Jeeps, motorcycles, and cars out there that people are paying premium prices for restoration parts.

Reason being? Back in the day when folks were thinking the Jeeps, motorcycles, cars werent collectible they were stripping off the original parts and chucking them in the trash!

I bet if they had it to do over again they damn sure would have re-thought that move!

That stuff is indeed fetching a premium now days.

Some day down the road original Cobras and parts will be rarer just through attrition if nothing else.

I dont think the mileage will play into as much.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member

well said!!

So with that logic, you're saying a 67 GT500 that's all original with 20K miles goes for the same as a 67 GT500 with 350K miles?

You guys serious?

It's not like after exactly 20 years a muscle car is going to become more valuable. Hell, the value on GT500s didn't spike till the late 90s, over 30 years after they were made.

Markets spike and decline, at different times for different cars. These will be no different. They will eventually become collectable at some time, as all iconic muscle cars have. These cars set the bar for the modern mustangs, and revamped the GM/Ford muscle car race.

Users who are viewing this thread