LS-1 Motorsports 3" Exhaust

CWCobra

Established Member
I've still got a very annoying vibration in my pipes I got from Rob at 2500 rpms. I took the pipes COMPLETELY back off, and rechecked everything. Put 'em back on again, and the vibration is still there. I'm afraid it's due to slag inside of the mufflers, and cannot be removed. I did manage to shake some slag out of one of the mufflers while I had it disassembled. Could there be more coming loose inside there??? Guess I'll have to get a buddy to man the throttle while I crawl back under it to see where the rattle is coming from. Sounds like bb's rattling on a tin pie pan. Ruins the growl of an otherwise great-sounding system. That dang concrete floor is getting hard on these old bones; sure would hate to have to go back to stock!
CW
:cuss:

Last edited:

03rocks

Established Member
I've got the exact same noise. I haven't got a chance to yank the mufflers off yet and try to fix it. Has anybody spoke with Rob yet about this? He said he was going to SEMA so I guess he won't be available for ?'s for another day or so. I just want some advise as to what to do about the problem. It makes the car sound like a beat up nissan.

CWCobra

Established Member
03Rocks:
You are the 3rd report I have seen with this same problem. It does, in fact, sound like a beat up Nissan, now that you mention it!

I do not have Rob Raymer's email address, but I have sent him a PM via this forum. I have also emailed the company who reportedly manufactured the mufflers. Here's hoping that they will do the right thing, and stand by their product. From what I can tell, Rob has a very good reputation as a stand up guy. This is my first deal with him or QMP. Perhaps others can give their experiences.

Looks like I will be going back to stock until this thing gets sorted out. Sure do hate to think about crawling back under the car yet again, but I can't stand the Nissan BUZZ of the QMP pipes. I'm quickly becoming an expert at '03 exhaust R&R!
Later,
CW
:cuss:

03rocks

Established Member
After todays dyno run I definately don't want to go back to stock I just want the freakin buzz fixed.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
I do not have Rob Raymer's email address, but I have sent him a PM via this forum. I have also emailed the company who reportedly manufactured the mufflers. Here's hoping that they will do the right thing, and stand by their product. From what I can tell, Rob has a very good reputation as a stand up guy. This is my first deal with him or QMP. Perhaps others can give their experiences.

Rob's email address is [email protected] and I usually get a quick response from him. I had a little rattle for the first day but don't have any rattle at all now. Actually my exhaust with the cats installed is extremely quite. I beat the mufflers before I put them in because I saw crap in them and then vacuumed them out so I must have removed it all. I hope you get it straightened out, because nothing is worse then a rattle.

Originally posted by 03rocks
After todays dyno run I definately don't want to go back to stock I just want the freakin buzz fixed.

How was the dyno?

tammy

Established Member
His dyno was posted under a thread I started yesterday title ls1 can you tell--or something similar. I can't make heads or tales outta dyno sheet but everyone said it looked good and he was happy.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by coleman

2. no one else offers a (name brand) 3" system

Im going to be using ( headers will be here in 3 weeks!!!) : Kooks headers/Dr Gas X-pipe/ Dynomax cat back. Those are pretty good names in my book. Granted it's not all stainless like the QMP system, but they are brands that have served me well for years. Just my 2 centz.

gary

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03rocks
didnt work
You trying to do this?

attachment.php

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I personally do not like the tips.

Same here... I would rather have 3" straight back.

--Matt

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by mmars
Same here... I would rather have 3" straight back.

--Matt

You can use any type of tips you want. I have the 4" and cut the tubes so they tuck into the bumber and they look great IMO.

matt lankford

all is sold
how much did you cut your tubes and how did you get the rear hanger to work once you slid the tips in? could you do me a HUGE favor and take another pic of the back of the car at ground level from the sides and the back. if not its ok but it would be a huge help. thanks

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I cut off 5" from each side, but that was way to much. If I was doing it again I would probably just take off 3". I was using the hangers that came with it, but they don't work anymore so they don't have hangers currently. That is why the passanger side one doesn't look right. I am still trying to find out what to use. The best way to cut these tubes is with a 12" Dewalt chop saw with steel cutting composite blade. I also cut 1.25" from the tubes after the cats to make it fit better and the hangers on the exhaust tubes in half.

matt lankford

all is sold
your my hero...i let you know what i do for hangers, ill probably just find some like the ones that came with it but longer. do you think that would work?

matt lankford

all is sold
would you happen to have one from farther back that would show the pipes under the tank? did you have any trouble getting those level? do your tips shoot straight back or do they have a downward tilt?

Users who are viewing this thread