lt1 vs 99cobra

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
a stock 99 cobra should have no problem with a stock LT1 Fbod...should

mrbigjeep

Established Member
Strong Cobra.
My outcome was different but I ran one from a dig.

Cool vid and good run.

what did you run him to? low end is a completely different story...i could hang just fine with him in first and second gear...its when we high higher speeds (3rd gear) that he pulls hard...in other words, if you can do a dig run and jump out (which i should do with 4.10's) then you should have a better outcome...i wannad do a low first gear roll with him. i'm hopin that would put me around even at 100mph...or maybe a car back.

to the guy who asked where i'm located...i'm in greenville on the weekends...actually up in easley a bit to see my girlfriend...but this race was in mooresville, nc...right above charlotte. i am there during the week for school

burnzilla

Established Member
a stock 99 cobra should have no problem with a stock LT1 Fbod...should
No problem?
:bored:

I'd put my money on an LT1 Firehawk anyday.
An LT1 SS and Ram Air Formula/T|A would be side by side with one.

No problem? In your dreams Cobra boy.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
No problem?

i've never seen a LT1 go 13.30s at 105 stock...but i saw my 01 Cobra go 13.3X at 105 4 times in a row when i raced at FFW in Epping NH...i was even on the stock BFGs

I'll admit the air was REAL good that day and helped but in average air my car 13.40s at 104-105...I have never seen or heard of for that matter of a stock Lt1 doing that 13.70s at 101-102 yes

also the post fix 99s tend to make a hair more power than the 01s

so what now optispark boy?

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
No problem?

Like I said, stock LT1s are a joke. They are more along the lines performance wise of a 2v 96-04 GT.

I'll even let you prove my point...

You say your driving skills are very good yet you only can pull a STOCK LS1 Camaro with 2 people in it by 2 carlengths...

Well, I had no classes or work today, so i decided to go to the bank for some cash and look for a nice run in between. After all, I haven't really raced anybody as of late and was itchen for some fun. You guys know.. the "itch".

Well traffic was busy all over Henrietta, so I took the highway home( 390, 65mph ), which is 3 lanes, I was kind of getting irrated I had not seen anybody who would want to run in town, so I decided to try my luck on the highway.

Well low and behold about 4 miles away from my exit this Black Formula LS1 pulls onto the highway ( dont know what year , id guess 98-00 ) about 100 feet ahead of me. He doesnt notice me until I pull up next to him and give him a small rev ( which with a LM is a small touch of the gas :D )
Im pretty sure he was stock. Stock rims, stock dual exhaust, timid exhaust tone..etc.
It was an older guy probably early 30's, with his wife/Gf.

Traffic halted us from a side by side duel, and I was in the left lane, he was in the middle, and the right lane was packed.
In front of us, there was no real clear spot to race from.
He got behind me and followed me through the gaps until I seen a good opening. There was no way we were racing two lanes.
I waited for him to ride my bumper, then I dropped the hammer.

I took off and had a small jump, and when I was taking off he couldn't catch me. But I had the Hit.
Again ahead of us, traffic filled the lanes so i slammed of my brakes, and he anticipated this, so when I dug into it again, his momentum was better, and came right up on me... I punched it, but couldnt pull on him until I got some momentum of my own.
I made some lanes changes, but I was carefu.
When I finally got him side by side for a run, I had about 1-2 cars on him, and he had the hit on me.

We had a couple nice runs, and i gave him the thumbs up when I pulled over into my exit lane, and he gave me the peace sign, and his wife/Gf has a big smile on her face.
The guy was really cool about it, and we both parted our ways.
Its nice to see that kind of reaction from a fellow Fbody owner.

The amazing thing is ( LS1 guys are gonna love this ) is that his car was stock and I was still only putting around 2 cars on him, not even.

But the Burnzilla took the checkered flag today :p

So I guess its safe to say your car is about even stock for stock with a 96-98 Cobra or a 2v GT.

And you can barely pull on a older M3. :lol:

Between classes today, I had about an hour break, so I went to lunch @ Subway.
Pulled out and seen what looked to be about a 96-98 2 Door( not exactly sure, but I did some research on them, and thats what the body style was ) M3 coming up the strip. Im not really educated on these cars, but it was pretty damn quick.

The guy was on his cell, and we ended up side by side at the next light. He looked over and gave a nice rev and looked away. I just waited.

I spun a little bit, but let off, then punched it again, 0-30 it was close, after that I started to pull pretty good.
At about 90 mph I had about 2-3 on him.

I shut down to let him come up beside me to give him the thumbs up, but he was still on his phone.
I don't know if it was modded but it pretty quick. When I shutdown I was barely pulling on him.

My first kill/race in awhile, felt pretty good.

Oh and I can't leave out the beating a CIVIC by a few carlengths.

burnzilla said:
I don't pick fights, but this kid wouldn't **** off.

Coming home from the bank, Im pulling off 390 ( 3 lane 65mph highway ) with this newer Honda right on my ass.
I go to the stop light, which takes you to a 4 lane street, or Chili Ave.
I get on it some to shake him off as I take a right at the stop light, but have to slow down for traffic, and low and behold, here comes Honda boy.

He looks over and makes a "what you doin?" Kinda gesture so I get along side and say "whatsup"?
We decide to run so we let traffic get ahead of us, and he said something like, "I'll count to 3 and then we'll go".
I said, "Ummm no... I'll honk 3 times, on the 3rd, we go"
He goes "yeah ok" real quick like.
(He was a younger kid, probably 18-21, and very exited, I could tell)

After traffic got a fair distance ahead of us, I honk and where off. Right from a dead stop...
I spun for just a second, but having some skill (this aint my first rodeo), let off real quick, then punched it again. He spun for moment and by the time he fully caught I was 4-5 cars ahead and pulling.
I watched my rearview and could see his car's nose lift when he hit 2nd, and then finally 3rd.

Due to traffic I had to shutdown, but I had 6, 7 or so lengths on this thing and pulling. We only got to about 75-80 mph.

He pulls back up next to me, and I told him good run. ( I was actually impressed, after he caught traction, I pulled him like I would an (Auto 99-04 GT) which frankly isn't that bad for a little 2800 lb 2.0 4 banger with 197bhp.

The most surprising thing was, the kid was real cool about it. He said something like "this is a posse FWD".
I thought to myself, ummm yeah most FWD's are.
But I just said nice run, he flipped a peace sign, said my car sounded nice, and took off.
In short, very good sportsmanship for a young kid in a brand new SI Civic.

I know, its not a great kill, but like I said, I just cashed my check and picked up 2 Labatt's 40's, listening to Led Z... I was in no mood to race.
I guess they run high 14's, low 15's.
Sounds about right, at the strip he would be about 10-12 cars back when I hit my trap.
Its the only race Ive had lately where we stopped and did it fair, and that ladies and gents, is a kill for the o'l LT1.

Thanks for reading.

Its alittle funny you go on and on about your driving skills yet you always seem to "spin alittle". LOL Can I have driving lessons? How much do they cost?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrbigjeep

Established Member
if a stock ss lt1 can be side by side with a 99/01 cobra then its as fast as an ls1...because my buddies stock lt1 got pulled 2 lengths easy by my buddies cobra (as the vid shows)...just like an ls1 would do. so if an ss lt1 would be even with the cobra then it should be as fast as an stock ls1...that makes no sense...

burnzilla

Established Member
L
And you can barely pull on a older M3. :lol:
Your bringing up a race that I won between an M3 with my stock LT1?
:lol1:
Its pretty sad when the super Mustang Cobra has trouble with a stock 1993 T56 Z28.

I posted this a while back and Ill post the truth for you again!

Stock for Stock

LT1 F Body/Corvette > All pre 2005 4.6 Mustang GT's

As you can see friend...the LT1 F Bodies/Corvettes have been the dominate opponent against Mustang GT's since 1993.

1999-2004 Mustang GT's still have trouble running with 17 year old LT1 technology!

An LT4 will destroy any post 99-2001 New Edge Cobra and any post 2005 4.6 GT stock for stock!!

Lets not even bring up the LT5..an engine developed way ahead of its time!!

The LS1's definitely should never ever ever be condsidered a match with those crappy 1999-2004 4.6 slugs!

Face it man...Ford has been slowly paying catch up ever since..and still barely are..with the post 2005 4.6 engines because they still cant keep up with 11 year old LS1 technology!!!

LS2's LS3's and LS7's are way outta non supercharged 4.6 Mustangs league!

Since 1992 GM has always had the lead when it came to making more power and torque Ford is still very far behind!

:D

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Burnzilla..just post your track slips stock and your modded ones and lets get this over with... slips or ban.

burnzilla

Established Member
Agreed

I guess running .2 tenths faster constitutes "eating" something? Not in my book.
.2 tenths is is BEST possible outcome for the Mustang.

A T56 LT1 would MURDER an auto 2V, just like an auto LT1 would MURDER an auto 2V.
The only ones that are within '2 tenths' are the 5speeds, and even they have trouble with the auto Fbodies.
The big bad 32V Cobra would has trouble against a SS LT1 M6.

Are they in the same category? Yes.

Youre convincing yourself otehrwise if you disagree and thats pretty pathetic if you ask me, when you can't even admit the truth about the cars you love. I know my LT1 cars haven't been world ending powehouses, but I can admit the truth.

My current low option, 1995 HT Z28 ran 13.89 @ 99 with a K&N fiilter, Mobil 1 and new 245/50 Goodyear GTII's.
On that same pass, an auto 1996 Mustang GT (unknown mods) pulled a high 14.
Ive put on a couple more things since then.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Your bringing up a race that I won between an M3 with my stock LT1?
:lol1:
Its pretty sad when the super Mustang Cobra has trouble with a stock 1993 T56 Z28.

:D

Hmmm you were stock? Are you sure?

LT1 Z28 Camaro vs BMW M3 posted 7-25-2006
LT1 Z28 Camaro Vs. BMW M3 - LS1TECH

Posted on 04-09-2006 "I have an Moroso CAI, 52MM Holley and SLP Loudmouth with Hooker Tips.

Like the Title says, what am I missing?

Are headers bolt ons?
a 52 MM throttle body bolts on, does that count?"
What are "All Bolt ons"?? - LS1TECH

Posted on 05-05-2006
Opinions Needed...Loudmouth & Headers - LS1TECH

Nice try man. Its ok that your automatic LT1 is slow...try trading it for a LS1 F-body. Atleast then you can keep up with the Mach 1's and toy around with the bigger boys if you wanted to.

Did I just own you? :uh oh:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Hmmm you were stock? Are you sure?

LT1 Z28 Camaro vs BMW M3 posted 7-25-2006
LT1 Z28 Camaro Vs. BMW M3 - LS1TECH

Posted on 04-09-2006 "I have an Moroso CAI, 52MM Holley and SLP Loudmouth with Hooker Tips.

Like the Title says, what am I missing?

Are headers bolt ons?
a 52 MM throttle body bolts on, does that count?"
What are "All Bolt ons"?? - LS1TECH

Posted on 05-05-2006
Opinions Needed...Loudmouth & Headers - LS1TECH

Nice try man. Its ok that your automatic LT1 is slow...try trading it for a LS1 F-body. Atleast then you can keep up with the Mach 1's and toy around with the bigger boys if you wanted to.

Did I just own you? :uh oh:

:uh oh:...........:pop:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
My current low option, 1995 HT Z28 ran 13.89 @ 99 with a K&N fiilter, Mobil 1 and new 245/50 Goodyear GTII's.

All the smack talk and your example is a lightly modded car (K&N and who knows what else) running a 13.89 @ 99mph.... bwahahahaha

Wow.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member

:lol::lol::lol: My bone stock 2v trapped 100 so i guess lt1's are slower than 2v's! Your crazy if you think stock for stock a lt1 is faster than a 99/01 cobra!:nonono::bash: I ran alot of lt1's in my 2v and they are good runs for a 99-04 2v!

Users who are viewing this thread