mach 1 hype!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
more torque, at lower RPMs + solid axle...what gears do the 99 cobras have? The Machs run 3.55s....I dont see how you find these times so unbelievable with more low end power and the heavy, wheel hopping IRS gone.

As for the mags..if youve ever read the testing policy of motor trend and the like, they dont think the average person will launch hard and powershift, so neither do they. You can bet your ass MM&FF and others like it are launching these things hard and powershifting like theres no tomorrow

Rochard

Established Member
First post on this board so feel free to rip into me.

The difference between the Mach and Cobra is....... I enjoy my Mach as much as you enjoy your Cobra, but Cobras are a dime a dozen and cost a bit more.

rochard0024.jpg

Sapperstang

Established Member
Hi! This is my first post here but I just had to get in on this thread. My 04 Mach with about 300 miles on the clock with half a tank of gas and full wieght ran a 13.4 @ 104 with a 2.0 60 ft time. My first pass was a 13.8 so yes its not unlikely to see them running that time either. Two passes later I ran a couple 13.4's. Even had one at 105 but at 13.5. So yes, the machs are for real!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Re: Re: mach 1 hype!

This one's starting to go down hill quick.

Originally posted by machone
Sounds liek someones jelous. Arent the 99 svts overrated? Or is that 01???
The 99 Cobra's did not put out the published HP as delivered. RWHP numbers varied a lot from car to car, running anywhere from 245 RWHP up to 270-ish RWHP. Ford recalled all the cars, replacing the catback and intake, and reflashing the computer. With this "fix", most cars dyno in the 275 RWHP range. Mine made 277 RWHP in bone stock trim.

It should be noted that dyno's vary. I've seen as much as 13 RWHP difference from one dyno to the next, with no changes, SAE corrected. You cannot accurately compare dynos from 2 different cars on 2 different machines. That's dyno racing. :) A dyno is a tuning tool - nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by jspalmer01
Dude...I've owned both 99 Cobra and now a Mach 1. It ain't even close. After the "fix" the 99's are still slow...no offense intended. The Mach just simply kicks butt...they are very underated in terms of pwr/trq.
Hmmm....some thoughts here for the overzealous among us.

Bone stock to bone stock, a Mach 1 certainly should beat a 99/01 Cobra in the 1/4 mile. They put out very close to the same power, and they are pretty close in weight, too. However, the Cobras have several liabilities in comparison with the Mach:

1) The IRS makes the Cobra very, very difficult to drag race efficiently for a variety of reasons

2) While peak power is close, the Mach makes more mid-range, and peaks at a lower rpm - making it easier to drive quickly.

3) The 99/01 Cobra's powerband does not work well (at all) with the stock 3.27s. The Mach's powerband would be better with that gear, and is better still with the 3.55s.

All that said, when the mods start, all bets are off, and I'm thinking that 99/01 Cobras suddenly won't look so slow. For evidence, I'll put my 99 Cobra numbers (pre F/S engine buildup) up against any 03/04 Mach 1 with similar mods.

The cars are similar, but different. The Mach is certainly the quicker of the two (in stock form). Each has its good and its bad points. Enjoy whichever one you own. :)

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Originally posted by Rochard

The difference between the Mach and Cobra is....... I enjoy my Mach as much as you enjoy your Cobra, but Cobras are a dime a dozen and cost a bit more.

Depends where you live. I see 4-5 Machs a day here, but only one or two cobras. Saying cobras are a dime a dozen is wrong. Vette guys say that shit too. Guess how many vettes I see a day? I stop counting after 10.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Originally posted by Rochard

Given that the modern Mach 1 didn't come about till 2003, it goes without saying that there are more modern Cobras on the streets than Mach 1s. However, when comparing actual production numbers in the relevant year (2003 - don't have 2004 numbers yet), then things are actually pretty close:

2003 Cobra production = 10,710
2003 Mach 1 production = 9,652
Source

One would think the 2004 numbers will be pretty much the same.

jspalmer01

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: mach 1 hype!

Originally posted by Bob Cosby

Hmmm....some thoughts here for the overzealous among us.

Bone stock to bone stock, a Mach 1 certainly should beat a 99/01 Cobra in the 1/4 mile. They put out very close to the same power, and they are pretty close in weight, too. However, the Cobras have several liabilities in comparison with the Mach:

1) The IRS makes the Cobra very, very difficult to drag race efficiently for a variety of reasons

2) While peak power is close, the Mach makes more mid-range, and peaks at a lower rpm - making it easier to drive quickly.

3) The 99/01 Cobra's powerband does not work well (at all) with the stock 3.27s. The Mach's powerband would be better with that gear, and is better still with the 3.55s.

All that said, when the mods start, all bets are off, and I'm thinking that 99/01 Cobras suddenly won't look so slow. For evidence, I'll put my 99 Cobra numbers (pre F/S engine buildup) up against any 03/04 Mach 1 with similar mods.

The cars are similar, but different. The Mach is certainly the quicker of the two (in stock form). Each has its good and its bad points. Enjoy whichever one you own. :)

Bob,

Agree with all your comments from above.....I was comparing stock to stock. With mods, many things can change. The original posters performance comments implied the Mach 1 was not much different vs. a 99 stock cobra.....which is just not true in the 1/4 mile. I'm not trying to bash the 99 Cobra (we're all friends here...right) but we need to be realistic. Time marches on, lessons are learned, and things gets better and faster. Heck the new Cobra in 07 will probably amaze many with it's performance potential.

Rochard

Established Member
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
Depends where you live. I see 4-5 Machs a day here, but only one or two cobras. Saying cobras are a dime a dozen is wrong. Vette guys say that shit too. Guess how many vettes I see a day? I stop counting after 10.

I see Cobras every of my life. Have for the past ten years. I'm lucky if I see a Mach on the road once a month.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Well, now that we have scientifically determined that some folks see more of one variety of cars than others do, perhaps there will come a point to all of this?

I doubt it, but perhaps.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I see mach1's all the time and hardly ever see cobras. I guess it's because the dealership 2 miles away sells a shit load of mach 1's but isn't an SVT dealer and the closest SVT dealer is about 20 miles away.

I drove an 01' cobra with just catted x pipe, catback , cold air, and maybe gears and that thing was peppy as hell. But I've also driven Mach 1's stock and modded. Both are quick cars when modded but the cobra is relatively slow stock.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Originally posted by JeromeMach1
The big difference is the 99/01 Cobras make the hp and tq numbers they are rated at. The Mach1s make a bit more. My stock dyno numbers are in my sig. In short, at the crank I made 340hp and 370tq. How does that compare to your Cobra?

Jerome

Can't really compare the two....one has a straight axle and one has IR suspension. The IR car make more power the warmer the rear fluid gets and the more pulls you make (within reason).

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
Well, now that we have scientifically determined that some folks see more of one variety of cars than others do, perhaps there will come a point to all of this?

I doubt it, but perhaps.

:lol:

Hi Bob:)

Was it like this when you had a choice between a 428CJ or maybe a 429 Boss, well why not a Shelby GT350 or Shelby GT500. And all of the other choices you had back in the day.

Isn't this great:beer:

hardcore35th

Established Member

I doubt it, but perhaps.
Much props on your car Bob. Its the sh**
Also much props on driving skills, to make that little hp and turn out those #s. Awesome!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by Davechapelsvt
Ok, i have nothing against the mach1, other than ppl who own them making them way faster than they are... i guess ppl say they run 13.1 stock, and one guy managed 12.98 stock... after seeing some race this weekend i can't imagine a mach1 hitting 12.98.. i saw an 04 orange mach1 run 14.01 as i was entering the track, his best of the day was 13.6.. he seemed to be launching good although i didn't go ask him what his 60' were.. it sounded like he had exhaust so it was moded.. and it was a stick so how are other ppl running 13.1? its impossible.. and i also checked car and driver, motor trend, and a couple other magazines.. all the magazines i've checked say it runs 13.8 stock.. the only mag that has it running 13.1 is MM&FF.. so whats the deal can the machs really run 13.1 or are there just some ringers out there.. i own the issue where they compare the GT,cobra, and mach and the testers seem to have a bias outlook on the mach.. i read the entire article and they kept saying all these great things about it.. mostly about the styling,, i dunno i just don't see .5 seconds being gained with the car to hit 13.1.. everyone states the car has a lot of torque and thats what helps it, but 335ftlbs is only 15 more than my stock 99 cobra.. thats not a big difference.. i doubt you will see a difference...
maybe altitude played a big role in this one. Try being a 6800 feet in denver:bash:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Five-o-Joe
The IR car make more power the warmer the rear fluid gets and the more pulls you make (within reason).

i'd like to see some sort of evidence or rationale behind this statement....sounds pretty unbased to me....

i made a hair more power w/ the solid than the IRS, but i seriously doubt it had anything to do w/ rearend temps....

fangstang

Established Member
I'm sure a stock 01 cobra with a solid axle and 4.10's( to compensate for the lack of low end torque compared to the mach) would run even with a stock mach.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
Maybe but I doubt it... I haven't had one at the track come close to me.. But I mainly try to run LS1's and 03 cobras for the challenge.. Because I know they make more hp then me... It's all about the driver..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread