mach 1 hype!

CobraChick1

Established Member
My buddy's stock 01 Cobra with only K&N drop in filter and Borla mufflers ran a 13.0 at 107mph (that's bone stock 3.27 gears and IRS) in the hot ass humid Louisiana summer temps the other night at NO PROBLEM raceway. I have 4.30 gears in my 01- which would prolly give me a lil quicker time. Now what about an 01 not hanging with a Mach???? I know we can get our's in the high 12's with cooler temps.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
i personally saw a azure blue 03 mach at state capitol raceway in LA that went 13.20 bone stock w/a baby seat in the back.my 99 cobra (full exhaust,tri ax,k/n)went 13.30 the same night.altough i did have a slipping clutch.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I personally destroyed a 01 cobra when i first got my mach. and all i have was magnaflow catback. Then again, i destroyed a 03 mach in my 1969 mach. so it is all relative.

Last edited:

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
i second cobrachick1,i have test driven 2 mach1s(both 5 speed)and while they have more midrange,they dont pull all the way to redline.a n/a cobra in the right hands is very effective.(as in has to be driven like it was stolen!)

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I don't care, both cars are great. The mach one is not hype....and yes i guess a good 99/01 cobra with good driver can beat a mach. i just prefer the look of the mach.

JeromeMach1

Established Member
I'm sure a stock 01 cobra with a solid axle and 4.10's( to compensate for the lack of low end torque compared to the mach) would run even with a stock mach.

This still does not compensate for the increased area under the hp and tq curve that the Mach has over the 99/01 Cobra. It is not just a weight issue. It is a heads, cam, and CR issue as well.

I have nothing against the 99/01 Cobras. On the average, they just are not as fast as the Mach1.

Jerome

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
i think when i got my mach, a magazine posted a comparision between the mach, bullitt, and 01 cobra. and i think the mach beat them in everything. im just thinking out loud, if im wrong, please let me know.:shrug:

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
id just like to drop in and stop everyone from killing each other. they are both damn cars as i have driven a 04 mach 1 and a 97 cobra and i ended up buying the cobra for a number of reasons one being money. yes the mach 1 was nicer with good seats and the shaker was kick ass but i love my cobra and i have ran a 13.855 at 101 with a 2.2 60' with nothing more than a magnaflow cat back. i have trapped as high as 104 and i have never tried powershifting. to say that a pre 03 cobra is slow is one of the dumbest things ive heard people say on this board

CobraChick1

Established Member
the 01 Cobra came stock with 320 hp- what do the Mach's come with???? I know it's not 320, something like 310 or so? Other than that- it's mean as hell looking! The Mach 1 looks pu$$yfied compared to Cobra. That's just my opinion though.

jspalmer01

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraChick1
the 01 Cobra came stock with 320 hp- what do the Mach's come with???? I know it's not 320, something like 310 or so? Other than that- it's mean as hell looking! The Mach 1 looks pu$$yfied compared to Cobra. That's just my opinion though.

The Mach 1's typically dyno between 320-330 hp to the flywheel and between 340-350 ft/lbs of tq. stock. You are just quoting factory advertised numbers, which are underated.

The Mach looks bad**s next the the Cobra...Tha't just my opinion though. They are both great cars.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
:lol: How can you possibly think the mach is pu$$yfied??? Sounds like jealousy to me:shrug:

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
I'm a fan of the 99/01 Cobras, but I do respect the #'s the Mach are putting down on paper. I'd sure like to run a Mach and see for myself how well they run. Of course I'm just a FOX BODIED COBRA GUY so really when it comes down to it, I wouldn't trade my car for either of them.:beer:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I think the bottom line is the Mach1 is the second best mustang. next to the 03 04 cobra of course :burnout:

Last edited:

CobraChick1

Established Member
Jealous? I would buy a Mach if that was the case. I just don't like those weenerfied wheels. Change the wheels and they'd be ok. And as far as underrated #s go- well then the Cobra's must be underrated too then.

Wild Bill

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how the pre-03 cobras and mach 1s fare against the new 05gt.I like the mach 1s a lot and would choose one over an 01 cobra.I love the shaker hood,and the seats.One thing to consider though is that the mach is only a little faster despite cams and gears.When Im out in my 03 all the older cobras and machs act like there out for a sunday drive and wont even look over.Oh well if my girl trades her sportrack in for an 05gt Im sure I'll get to run some then.First thing I will do is nittos and gears,then wait for the aftermarket for the bolt ons.It will be cool to have a whole new mustang to mess with.

Users who are viewing this thread