Mach 1 Owners do you regret your purchase?

BlueMach1

Stang Family
Established Member
My dad has a mach and he loves it. I own a termi and I love it as well. Neither are daily drivers, but the mach gets better gas mileage. My cobra is a pig. I think it does better on the highway though. (6 speed) I think it all depends on how you drive the cars.

I love the way my cobra looks, but the mach is more comfortable to drive on the street. Either way though I would buy a mach as well and keep my cobra if I could.

My dad loves the comforts of the mach such as the seats and ride. But then again he loves to get in my cobra and take it around the block when I bring it to his house. All depends on what you want. We owned the mach before the cobra because he drove both and decided the mach was more for him. One year later I bought a termi and he wishes now sometimes he bought a cobra. I stress the word SOMETIMES. He loves his car. We both believe the mach is the best looking mustang in our opinion overall. And thats coming from us and we own five. Hopes this helps

nasty04mach1

Bnasty
Established Member
I am turly happy with my purchase. I see it as the Mach is more rare compared to cobra...atleast where I live anyway. I love mine and plan on never selling it.

98rs

Established Member
Just get a 03 04 cobra or you will regret it. Cobras are alot easier to mod and for the money thier the best bang for the buck. I like machs but at best your only going to make like450ish atw power before your going to habve to do some engin work.

98rs

Established Member
Considering I have a built Cobra drivetrain, built motor, and a TT setup ...I wish I started with a Cobra first. But the shaker gets me everytime.
Yea thats the thing i love about the mach. that and the blacked out paint and solid rearend and seats.

Angus

Established Member
Please do not take offense to my question. I am in the market for an 03/04 Cobra, 03/04 Mach or 01 Cobra.

My question is do you Mach owners ever wish you held out for a Termi? I love both cars. They both feel different and have good and bad aspects just like any other car. I am in such a debate between both cars. The Termi is easier to mod, but both are such great cars.

How is the Mach as a DD?
How is the highway mileage?

Thanks for the help.

I don't regret buying my Mach one bit.

I test-drove several Terminators & several Mach 1's before I made my decision, and the Mach was much easier to drive & felt a LOT lighter.

That's just my opinion though... :burnout:

Nineonesix

Established Member
A badass Mach stands out much more than a badass Cobra. The seats are much more comfortable than those Cobras and the car is a built street/strip warrior with the aluminum block and solid axle. I get more looks in my Mach than i see my buddies getting in their Cobras. The average Joe typically can't tell the difference between a GT, a V6, or a Cobra, but they know there is something unique about a Mach.

Really? Because to me it seems like everyone thinks its just another gt. Maybe is the color (dsg), that fools them and nothing really stands out like say the blue mach's or red. Its okay though because if it keeps cops from looking at me and doesnt pop at you in the parking lot (where people suddenly get the urge to key things) then im all good.

I'd say most people would recognize a cobra because of badging and what not, but even if they see the "mach 1" they dont really know what it is. Although when people finally realize the shaker.......they ALWAYS ask...."5.0?"

281CJ

Established Member
nope, faster then a 01 cobra in track tests and people look at and think GT with a scoop or V6 with duals......makes me happy :)

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Really? Because to me it seems like everyone thinks its just another gt. Maybe is the color (dsg), that fools them and nothing really stands out like say the blue mach's or red. Its okay though because if it keeps cops from looking at me and doesnt pop at you in the parking lot (where people suddenly get the urge to key things) then im all good.

I'd say most people would recognize a cobra because of badging and what not, but even if they see the "mach 1" they dont really know what it is. Although when people finally realize the shaker.......they ALWAYS ask...."5.0?"

That's really funny- same thing happened to me, a co-worker asked where I got the "shaker" kit from. ..."ummmm- from Ford- it's a factory installed option." He says, "Really? Too bad it doesn't have the Cobra motor:bash: - maybe you could get turbos like the 03/04 Cobra" .....I didn't know whether he was serious or not. But I just told him that the only Cobras that came with turbos was the SVO and that the 03/04 had the SC- and incidentally with a few variations it is the same motor as the 03/04 Cobra...

Then again he he's driving a Charger RT that he swears is the fastest thing on the road. I told him I would only run him in the Audi just to be somewhat fair:lol:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Well mine is not a daily driver by any means. I could have bought a terminator for 24,000 with 26,000 miles. I just like the looks of my AB Mach1. the shaker looks real mean. I plan on getting a '03 cobra front bumper and a 8# procharger, but i want to build it overtime. Terminators are the shit hands down but everybody doesnt have to have one. As for gas mileage it was good when bone stock, but i just got bolt-on's and a tune with4.10's. it's 14-16 city & 25-27 maybe highway. It's my fault though cant keep my foot out of it.

281CJ

Established Member
That's really funny- same thing happened to me, a co-worker asked where I got the "shaker" kit from. ..."ummmm- from Ford- it's a factory installed option." He says, "Really? Too bad it doesn't have the Cobra motor:bash: - maybe you could get turbos like the 03/04 Cobra" .....I didn't know whether he was serious or not. But I just told him that the only Cobras that came with turbos was the SVO and that the 03/04 had the SC- and incidentally with a few variations it is the same motor as the 03/04 Cobra...

Then again he he's driving a Charger RT that he swears is the fastest thing on the road. I told him I would only run him in the Audi just to be somewhat fair:lol:

svo wasnt a cobra.

mach1speed03

Established Member
I have a mach wit full bolt ons. Not gonna lie I wish I saved a bit more and held out and got A terminator. Thank god my dad just picked 1 up and modding has begun.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I cant speak from personal experience having owned neither car. But one of my best friends bought an 04 Mach 1 brand new. After 2 years of ownership and 7k$ plus in mods(Vortech SC, boltons, etc.) he regretted it like hell. He was running 9psi on his Vortech and making over 450 rwhp, but was paranoid his bottom end would grenade at any second. He wished he would have gotten a Termi and spent about 2k$ in mods and have the same if not more power with more piece of mind and a 6 speed to boot. I personally prefer the Mach 1, but he saw it differently. You cant go wrong, but if you are harboring a desire for a Terminator, then the Mach most likely wont cut it. Get what you really want if you are financially able.

kens88gt

Established Member
The Mach 1 is a great car for the money and better looking than the Cobra. I sold my Cobra and kept my Mach. There's more to owning a car than having 500+ horsepsower which you can't even use most of the time. IMHO it's the car "addiction" thing....Termi owners sink thousands into their cars too. I think the decsiion should be beased on what you can realistically afford.
So in short, I don't regret my Mach 1 purchase at all.

Nineonesix

Established Member
I cant speak from personal experience having owned neither car. But one of my best friends bought an 04 Mach 1 brand new. After 2 years of ownership and 7k$ plus in mods(Vortech SC, boltons, etc.) he regretted it like hell. He was running 9psi on his Vortech and making over 450 rwhp, but was paranoid his bottom end would grenade at any second. He wished he would have gotten a Termi and spent about 2k$ in mods and have the same if not more power with more piece of mind and a 6 speed to boot. I personally prefer the Mach 1, but he saw it differently. You cant go wrong, but if you are harboring a desire for a Terminator, then the Mach most likely wont cut it. Get what you really want if you are financially able.

You can buy a mach for thousands of dollars less then a 03/04 cobra, so why not just take that money you saved and build the block for it, then put the blower on it and be all good to go. just my way of thinking lol

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I definitely regret my purchase. I was in the market for a an 03/04 Cobra, and considered a 03/04 Mach 1 for the right price. Well, I found an 03 Mach 1 w/ 15k miles and decided to buy it... bad choice.

After meeting up with different local car clubs, and being around a bunch of Cobras, getting on here and watching how cheap and easy it is to make power with the Cobra, I was very frustrated that I went with the Mach 1. It is way too expensive to get power out of these things, the Cobras hold their value so much better, and after 3 and 1/2 months, my Mach 1 is for sale (sale pending - took a deposit yesterday). Needless to say, I've just put a deposit on a Cobra which I should have done in the first place. I wasted my money but learned my lesson, wait for what you truly want and don't settle for a second choice because you will regret it. I did.

Every Mustang has the exact same potential, if you wanted your Mach to be faster, why didn't you just build it to be? :shrug:

I've always thought that half of the fun of owning a Mustang was the ability to build it into whatever you want it to be.

KduncSS

Established Member
You can buy a mach for thousands of dollars less then a 03/04 cobra, so why not just take that money you saved and build the block for it, then put the blower on it and be all good to go. just my way of thinking lol

Now you can buy them for cheaper. At the time my friend bought his Mach(July 2004), he had 2 choices for a Cobra. Both barely used with under 10k miles and both could be had within dollars of monthly payment for the Mach. He regretted not getting the Cobra. I could kinda see where he was coming from, your taking a car that wasnt built to handle boost and attempt to build it. Voiding your warranty beyond recognition and taking the risk that the car will never be the same again. OR you buy a car already designed for boost with an awesome driveline for similar money. A few boltons and he would have had more power than his Mach with alot less risk. I still advise the OP NOT TO SETTLE. Mach 1s are amazing cars and its true they have tons of potential, but Terminators are so damn easy to get insane power out of. If thats what you want get it. And again, I personally would buy a Mach 1:beer:

KduncSS

Established Member
Every Mustang has the exact same potential, if you wanted your Mach to be faster, why didn't you just build it to be? :shrug:

I've always thought that half of the fun of owning a Mustang was the ability to build it into whatever you want it to be.

You make it sound like all Mustangs are created equal when that is obviously not true. For the money it would take to get a lesser Mustang to a Terminators power level, you could have bought the better platform and still have a huge amount of room left to go faster. Lets also not forget that not everyones wallets are created equal either lol.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Sadly the 01 cobra hasn't been recognized yet, I was in the market for a Mach 1 and bought the Cobra because it was such a good deal and the mileage was sooooo low, plus the yellow is just an amazing shout out. The reason I did not regret my decision is because when I popped the hood of the Cobra all i could see was a hunk of beef. Unlike a Mach that had a mountain of plastic. The Alcantraz, the suedeish material in the Cobra is heavenly, for some reason it always feels cool in the heat. To me it sounds like you want an enjoyable car and a cobra with an after market exhaust with the factory IRS is a fun ride in the city. Even though it does look like a V6 the front bumper and many cobra on it along with the big vinyl cobra letters on the back will make people rethink, or they will want to race thinking they can own a v6 mustang with a civic. Plus many people are not jealous enough of a v6 mustang to scratch it.

Last edited:

KduncSS

Established Member
Congrats on finding a good deal, because around here people think New Edge Cobras are made of gold. For the price and mileage most I see are not worth it. A 99 Cobra with 70k plus miles for 13k < 03 Mach 1 with 30k miles for 15-16 k. Thats what I normally see price wise.

Users who are viewing this thread