Mach 1 Owners do you regret your purchase?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
You make it sound like all Mustangs are created equal when that is obviously not true. For the money it would take to get a lesser Mustang to a Terminators power level, you could have bought the better platform and still have a huge amount of room left to go faster. Lets also not forget that not everyones wallets are created equal either lol.

All Mustangs were created equal, they just had different stuff bolted into them.

I could start with a '96 V6 Mustang, swap in a 500 rwhp V8 (numerous paths to this), IRS, 03+ interior, etc. for cheaper than the $25,000 it would cost to buy your typcial used 03/04 Cobra.

John and Renae

Established Member
No regrets here. As with a lot of us who bought our Mach's new, we could have afforded Terminators. I bought mine for a lot of reasons. First of all it is a real Mach 1. I grew up in my best friends 69 Mach and have always loved the name and the looks. I like what it took to bring the car to production, and followed its development from the first prototype that showed up at the Mid-American Meet in Tulsa. It is a great package that is just as unique as Cobra less the power. I prefer a stick axle car as I am more of a drag racer than a corner carver.

I did use the Mach as a DD for a year, it averaged 18.5 mpg city with best tanks in the low 20's and the worst in the 16 mpg range. It is a great DD. Comfortable, plenty of power, very easy to drive.

Now with that said, I love the Terminators as well. I have had occasion to drive them more than once and can say I am very impressed with them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
All Mustangs were created equal, they just had different stuff bolted into them.

I could start with a '96 V6 Mustang, swap in a 500 rwhp V8 (numerous paths to this), IRS, 03+ interior, etc. for cheaper than the $25,000 it would cost to buy your typcial used 03/04 Cobra.

I guess we have a difference of opinion(nothing wrong with that)

I dont see a 96 V6 Mustang equal to a Terminator at all, no matter what you can do it. By that logic, all cars are created equal, every make and model. I could a POS 89 Civic cheaper than the V6 Mustang you mentioned and make it out run just about anything for cheaper than that. I wouldnt go about a project like the one you mentioned when I could buy a Cobra and have virtually no problems with it and no trouble shooting when I run into a hang up. It just doesnt make sense to me.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
i would also save up and get the cobra, everything is better about it. Even though i loved my mach and still miss, i would rather save a bit more and get the teminator.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
hey i've got a 03 dsg mach and i get 22-23 just driving around and 32-33 on the highway. believe me or not, but it's the truth. the last owner got the same out of it. i run it at 72 goin down I-81 and i swear on the car that she pulls that mileage. i've got a mgw short throw, rear seat delete, eibach pro kit springs, mac off road prochamber, mac cat back, bbk shaker intake spacer, aluminum driveshaft and a k&n filter on her.

BM1

Established Member
I guess we have a difference of opinion(nothing wrong with that)

I dont see a 96 V6 Mustang equal to a Terminator at all, no matter what you can do it. By that logic, all cars are created equal, every make and model. I could a POS 89 Civic cheaper than the V6 Mustang you mentioned and make it out run just about anything for cheaper than that. I wouldnt go about a project like the one you mentioned when I could buy a Cobra and have virtually no problems with it and no trouble shooting when I run into a hang up. It just doesnt make sense to me.

I think the point he's driving at is that they both utilize the exact same platform when he said they're all created equal. Think of an '03 Cobra as a '96 V6 with better guts and cosmetics, because that's exactly what it is if you look at the foundation of the car.

Last edited:

themachwon22

Established Member
love my mach 1 everyone has a gt everyone has a cobra but only a few have mach 1's they are rare and look the best you cant beat that shaker hood and the rare colors!!!!

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Every Mustang has the exact same potential, if you wanted your Mach to be faster, why didn't you just build it to be? :shrug:

I've always thought that half of the fun of owning a Mustang was the ability to build it into whatever you want it to be.

because every mustang doesnt have the exact same potential. I dont see how you can think that???? You are saying with a pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune that a Mach 1 can gain 50-75rwhp? You have to be kidding.... It took me $1000 to have my Mach 1 gain 25rwhp and 35rwtq, where as my Cobra gained 100rwhp with the same amount of $$ put into it. You are a fool to believe they have the same potential.

Not only that, but the value of the Mach 1 vs. Cobra. The Cobras will hold their value much better for the years to come vs. a Mach 1, you can watch the market and see it already.

But anyways, to the main point of this thread, I had a Mach 1 for 4 months, and definitely regretted it. I recently purchased a Cobra and god it felt good. It was easy to justify spending another 50 a month btwn car payment and insurance to jump up to a Cobra, it is worth every penny. It drives completely different than the Mach 1, and is nice to know that a little $$$ will take the car a long way. It has a good transmission, and a solid motor, two things the Mach 1 definitely lacked. The Mach 1 drove like a truck, and the Cobra is much much smoother. It is just better in every aspect to me, and to answer the question, YES, after owning both, I definitely regretted buying the Mach 1 and not going straight to the Cobra.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
because every mustang doesnt have the exact same potential. I dont see how you can think that???? You are saying with a pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune that a Mach 1 can gain 50-75rwhp? You have to be kidding.... It took me $1000 to have my Mach 1 gain 25rwhp and 35rwtq, where as my Cobra gained 100rwhp with the same amount of $$ put into it. You are a fool to believe they have the same potential.

Not only that, but the value of the Mach 1 vs. Cobra. The Cobras will hold their value much better for the years to come vs. a Mach 1, you can watch the market and see it already.

But anyways, to the main point of this thread, I had a Mach 1 for 4 months, and definitely regretted it. I recently purchased a Cobra and god it felt good. It was easy to justify spending another 50 a month btwn car payment and insurance to jump up to a Cobra, it is worth every penny. It drives completely different than the Mach 1, and is nice to know that a little $$$ will take the car a long way. It has a good transmission, and a solid motor, two things the Mach 1 definitely lacked. The Mach 1 drove like a truck, and the Cobra is much much smoother. It is just better in every aspect to me, and to answer the question, YES, after owning both, I definitely regretted buying the Mach 1 and not going straight to the Cobra.

i have to agree, i will probably be selling mine either late this year or at the beginning of next year and upgrading to either a cobra or a new whipple gt!

203SBvert

Established Member
I love the car--it's such an upgrade from my previous mustang, a 1994 5.0L convert with 126K on the odometer ha!
I do regret it now tho, as I wish I waited a little longer to get a termi...so much easier to mod, its depressing. Now Im trying to sell the Mach and the bike for a termi or quick AWD turbo (sti/evo)...my friend with an 07 sti, cobb stage 2, let me drive his car. The handling on them is incredible, SO MUCH FUN to drive! But I do love the roar of a V8, so termi here I come!

Users who are viewing this thread