Mach 1 VS. GTO

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
WOW!!! That guy really sucks at life then. I have slips from that GTO when it was bone stock on street tires running 13.5s. I'll get them.

I agree that Driver ability has a lot to do with it. But look at what you just typed........13.5 out of 400HP (if 05, or 350 on 04). all the while machs turn the same times on avg. to bad drivers.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out a point......err, did I say that right? :banana:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
WOW!!! That guy really sucks at life then. I have slips from that GTO when it was bone stock on street tires running 13.5s. I'll get them.

no offense, but you're arguing a GTO to be faster then a MACh1 and you claim a respectable time for them is 13.5? I did significantly better then that completely stock.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
no offense, but you're arguing a GTO to be faster then a MACh1 and you claim a respectable time for them is 13.5? I did significantly better then that completely stock.

No, I never said that was a respectable time, I'm saying its a time I've seen posted with my own eyes. I've seen better ones over the internet but I can say that I verified a 13.5 right in front of me. It was just a rebuttal to a previous comment.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
No, I never said that was a respectable time, I'm saying its a time I've seen posted with my own eyes. I've seen better ones over the internet but I can say that I verified a 13.5 right in front of me. It was just a rebuttal to a previous comment.

You seem to know ALOT about cars and drag racing. What kind of car do you drive? I am assuming a Cobra? If you ever get a chance to come to GA. Come to Silver Dollar Raceway and we will let you run the bone stock 06 GTO against the bone stock Mach 1. No one in this area can seem to get a bone 06 GTO to even run stock Cobra times. :shrug:

GotMach?

the really sad thing here is that with the numbers the 6 liter gto's have they should be handing our asses to us. But the reality is if they beat a Mach the margin isn't what one would expect. The Gto's should be compared with the Cobra's number wise but they will get their's handed to them. On a side note was driving on interstate 94 and the Gto I passed and slowed down for wouldn't even look over at me...(I think these owners now what they got...Goats)

TacticalKaos

Established Member
OrangeMach23 said:
You seem to know ALOT about cars and drag racing. What kind of car do you drive? I am assuming a Cobra? If you ever get a chance to come to GA. Come to Silver Dollar Raceway and we will let you run the bone stock 06 GTO against the bone stock Mach 1. No one in this area can seem to get a bone 06 GTO to even run stock Cobra times. :shrug:

Oh hell, I'd much rather have the Cobra in the quarter. I thought we were comparing against Machs. Cobras consistently dyno at about 370 rwhp, far ahead of a GTO even though the GTO claims to have higher bhp. I will take a modded Cobra in the straight line all day against just about any car. In my opinion it is the ultimate in the straight line. As far as my car goes, I drive an Subaru STi running a rotated GT35 turbo kit and all supporting mods.

Last edited:

blueSHAKER

Established Member
I wonder how my Mom's '67 Big Block (572 I think) Cadillac will hold up against that GTO. It's all about CID and HP.

...isn't it?

blueSHAKER

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
Oh hell, I'd much rather have the Cobra in the quarter. I thought we were comparing against Machs. Cobras consistently dyno at about 370 rwhp, far ahead of a GTO even though the GTO claims to have higher bhp. I will take a modded Cobra in the straight line all day against just about any car. In my opinion it is the ultimate in the straight line. As far as my car goes, I drive an Subaru STi running a rotated GT35 turbo kit and all supporting mods.

What's the best you have run with the STI???

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
New wheels for the car. What do you think???? I know that they would look better if the center was black. I am also ordering cross drilled rotors.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:

That is on the high side. But it has happened. They 'consistently' dyno in the 355-365 range - BONE stock that is. That is only 25 more HP than a GTO LS2, and yet they run .5 seconds faster.......on avg.

MustangFreak

Established Member
I think the GTO is a real nice car.... Looks are subjective but I think it has nice clean flowing lines that go well together... especially the newer models with the better hood / front fascia....

The interior is definitely light years ahead of the Mach 1's....

The drivetrain is nice also.... I would have loved to have a T-56 in mine from the factory....

With that said, all other things aside, I think a 04 GTO is a good match for the Mach1 performance stock vs stock...

The 05/06 GTO's definitely have more power and would take a Mach1 on a roll race with equal drivers....

At the dragstrip however, that is a different story....

I was at Famoso on the 25th and there was a guy with a convertible 04 Cobra and he only ran a 13.7 @ 104mph on his first run...

I ran a 13.76 @ 103.09 mph.....

I would have been right next to him if I raced him but if we went from a 70 roll in 3rd gear he would absolutely destroy me......

ET means nothing, trap speed sometimes also means nothing if the driver can't shift / shifts too early / too late / etc......

This is a meaningless discussion if you are trying to prove which car is faster because everyone has different opinions on the matter....

There is no arguing that the LS1 / LS2 motors put down more power than the Mach1's but the Mach 1 seems to make up for the lack of power output with a lighter weight, better set-up suspension for 1/4 mile driving and a better gear ratio in the 5 speeds and better rear axle ratio for drag racing......

VenomGTO

Established Member
mustangmach04 said:
I think he is talking about the 06 gto which has 400 hp the 05 has 320 etc etc, i have ran 2 05's my buddys own and spanked then when i was stock which i basically still am.

If your buddy really did have a GTO, you would know that 05/06 have 400hp and 04 has 350hp.

Last edited:

VenomGTO

Established Member
Mach 1 Mania said:
I think YOUR high!

I have raced plenty to know. :loser:

They are pigs out the hole. Without spray I tear them apart. Granted im pretty modded. BUT still. :poke:

Yes, we are pigs out of the hole. Heavy weight, IRS, and little wheel wells are very crippling for our 60' times.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
OrangeMach23 said:
What's the best you have run with the STI???

I'd rather not talk about my quarter times on this site because I know I will get flamed. I will tell you however that it puts down over 400 AWHP on pump on a Mustang dyno and this summer it will be putting out well over 500 on C16 and methanol spray. The car was set up for auto-x and the occasional street match. I bought it to run on the street and that's pretty much where she stays. Here's a pic...

tactical.gif

Mach 1 Mania

Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
I'd rather not talk about my quarter times on this site because I know I will get flamed. I will tell you however that it puts down over 400 AWHP on pump on a Mustang dyno and this summer it will be putting out well over 500 on C16 and methanol spray. The car was set up for auto-x and the occasional street match. I bought it to run on the street and that's pretty much where she stays. Here's a pic...

tactical.gif

I bet it runs good!! Good looking too :thumbsup:

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
sick sti

as for the mach vs gto debate, i'm yet to run into one, but lookin forward to the day, should be fun

win98nogood

Established Member
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey, United States
Ok I had both 03 Mach and a 04 gto
both ran 13.1 bone stock
security_003.jpg

1.jpg

both great cars I like the way the GTO felt as far as comfort

but the Mach 1 looked better in my opinion

both great cars for the price

now i have a 03 lightning and getting rid of that for a new vette
I like both chevy and ford :poke:

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
VenomGTO said:
If your buddy really did have a GTO, you would know that 05/06 have 400hp and 04 has 350hp.

When I posted the numbers I was refering to an 04 model because Machs were made up until 04 but you take an 04 and run it on a dyno and their numbers will be close to a Machs dyno numbers. For some reason they dont put out the amount of power you would expect from alot larger motor. And as stated by another poster with just a tune the GTO was in the 330 hp range. Now, take that 330hp GTO and compare it to a Mach say like mine with 302hp and 325lb ft. of torque. With the GTO weighting quite a bit more that 27hp makes almost no difference and my torque is what matters to me because off the line with my 315s, my car is just mean as hell and I've cought a 450hp lightning by the time I've reached 60mph. But the bottomline is that, the Mach with it's little 281 DOHC motor will stay with cars that should based on horsepower be out of it's league. And it does take alot to make a GTO run in the 12s while a Mach with a decent driver and on drags will be in the mid 12s. The gears the weight and the fact that you can make one stick is what makes the Machs run good times and on drags will outrun a stock Cobra with 70 more horsepower but 300lbs heavier in the 1/4 mile.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
GTO's are a joke. They are a hyped cavalier. I haven't seen any that I wouldn't at least run. I would put the money on the mach.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Ironhand said:
When I posted the numbers I was refering to an 04 model because Machs were made up until 04 but you take an 04 and run it on a dyno and their numbers will be close to a Machs dyno numbers. For some reason they dont put out the amount of power you would expect from alot larger motor. And as stated by another poster with just a tune the GTO was in the 330 hp range. Now, take that 330hp GTO and compare it to a Mach say like mine with 302hp and 325lb ft. of torque. With the GTO weighting quite a bit more that 27hp makes almost no difference and my torque is what matters to me because off the line with my 315s, my car is just mean as hell and I've cought a 450hp lightning by the time I've reached 60mph. But the bottomline is that, the Mach with it's little 281 DOHC motor will stay with cars that should based on horsepower be out of it's league. And it does take alot to make a GTO run in the 12s while a Mach with a decent driver and on drags will be in the mid 12s. The gears the weight and the fact that you can make one stick is what makes the Machs run good times and on drags will outrun a stock Cobra with 70 more horsepower but 300lbs heavier in the 1/4 mile.

Well said. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread