Magnum Powers users...

I'D WIN

Established Member
The MP blowers breath very well and have the ability to move a LOT of air/most in which is cooler than the competition. A ported EATON and the 2.3 KB produce a LOT of heat. Without getting totally off-topic, do your research and you will find a LOT of data out there already. Before my plans got switched up, I had planned to push the MP further than anyone else out there. I am glad Jim (Topgun) is still on the prowl. He has done great things with his truck. All of his efforts in which should be commended. IMO, the MP is still the best bang for the buck and there is still a LOT to be proven. Watch out for Jim!

Anyone thinking of getting one, I'd suggest a ported or sheetmetal plenum and some sort of CAI such as the LFP kit, the JLP, etc (based on preference/etc.). I'd also run a Reichard supercharger spacer if you can find one.

For those debating...

Although some of the data is old and a lot of mods have come out since thus enhancing the MP's performance/potential, I urge everyone to check out the following~

http://www.magnumpowers.com/light_perform.php

and

http://www.magnumpowers.com/multimedia.php

EDIT: Jim mentioned another very good point regarding the inlet port. The same reason I went with the JLP thunder pipe. I just forget to mention it above. Thanks brother.

Last edited:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
And that was on the 2.7 upper and 6#lower i take it?

Yes, these #s were with the 2.7 upper/6# lower combo that I reccomend. Mine ran great with this setup. I was too greedy and stepped up to an 8# lower. Combination of top gear highway run, and as it turned out, substandard fuel did it in. It pulled great down low at this boost level.

The info I'D WIN has posted is good reading. I also run a sheetmetal plenum(JLP) and a lower spacer(JLP), and also a JDM 108mm Powerpipe. To get the most out of it I felt the inlet restrictions must be minimized. I feel my JDM Dryflow filter may be a restriction now. Going to do some testing soon. Seems to me my AF1 filter flowed better. I will report any conclusions.
Jim

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Jim,

I have used several different filters and have recently switched over to the True Flow Premium Filter. I was told by several hot rod builders and close friends that they were the best available in terms of air flow (CFM) and filtration.

Doing some research of my own, I have found plenty of information concluding such but I want to see some real world testing. Marketing and advertisements can sometimes be misleading and/or misinterpreted. "Some" tests only showed flow factors, but no performance tests, just claims and biased statements that inceased air flow does not contribute to performance. Like I mentioned though, I would like to see real world testing and hard evidence.

Irregardless, I took the plunge and purchased one but unfortunately I haven't been able to put mine to the test yet. The only thing I can say is that the True Flow is top notch in quality and seems to fit the bill. Only time will tell though.

Have you or anyone else heard anything?

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Jim,

I have used several different filters and have recently switched over to the True Flow Premium Filter. I was told by several hot rod builders and close friends that they were the best available in terms of air flow (CFM) and filtration.

Doing some research of my own, I have found plenty of information concluding such but I want to see some real world testing. Marketing and advertisements can sometimes be misleading and/or misinterpreted. "Some" tests only showed flow factors, but no performance tests, just claims and biased statements that inceased air flow does not contribute to performance. Like I mentioned though, I would like to see real world testing and hard evidence.

Irregardless, I took the plunge and purchased one but unfortunately I haven't been able to put mine to the test yet. The only thing I can say is that the True Flow is top notch in quality and seems to fit the bill. Only time will tell though.

Have you or anyone else heard anything?

My S&B filter has been nothing but great thus far.but anything that nets me better/safer numbers with my chickenears cool-aid setup im all for it :)

I'D WIN

Established Member
what did u guys use to tune the with? handhelp or dyno?

I have used several different tuning platforms. Most in which revolved around SCT. Technology has improved greatly over the last few years making more adjustability at the user level.

Dyno numbers are just numbers to me ... the track times are for proving grounds.

I now do almost all of the tuning myself through the Sniper Delta Forces Program. Some use the SCT Pro Racer Package while most rely on various tuners based on preference.

Its all up to you brother. Either way, let it shine and let her scream!

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
:dancenana::dancenana::dancenana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Cory,

I forgot to mention, because you live in Alaska and don't have ready access to a dyno or tuner for that matter...

With most tuners and/or handhelds, you can datalog certain parameters, send the results to your tuner and they can fine tune everything. It bridges the gap between mail order tunes and actual dyno runs. Plus it gives you the ability to monitor everything and adjust as necessary.

PLUS, IMO and I think most tuners will agree, tuning on the street or track is much more effective than one in a sterile environment such as a dyno.

With that ability and a AFR gauge, you will be squared away. Lastly, while working with your tuner in the fine tuning stages, don't get greedy. Keep your WOT blasts to a minimum for datalogging purposes only. This is where most people screw up.

Any vehicle can sustain minimal detonation with little to NO damage but prolonged exposure can cause any motor to develop problematic symptons and/or go BOOM.

Last edited:

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
This thread is making me happier and happier that im buying a MP blower. i can't wait to hear this bad boy whine in jlp's shop when he tunes it and when i get it all tuned and on the street.

I'D WIN

Established Member
You are definitely getting a great deal and your gonna be happier than hell! You will be grinning from ear to ear ... just wait!

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
this may sound retarded but whats a good system to use when datalogging? And how would i send it in? im really new to tuning, all i use on my truck and my friends cars is my Sniper special forces tuner that i got. I know quite a few people use it and if you guys think its capable then what add-ons should i buy for it to get the most, so my tuner can get the best results for me when i need it? oh and yeah the nearest dyno is a 6-7 hour drive to Anchorage but even then most the dynos down there, the three or four that exist I dont know for sure, are very stinjy and i dont think i will ever be able to use them at all no matter how much money i offered, its like the Alaskan way or something to say no to us military up here. Not everyone but a select few really dont like us up here. i think its all the dyno places though! lol

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
It will be a part of the tuning platform. i.e. the SCT XCAL2 and/or the Livewire handheld has the ability to datalog utilizing software you have to download (free) on top of several other things it does. Its pretty much an all-in-one package deal when you buy the device.

http://www.sctflash.com/LW.php

In response to your edit...

The Sniper software/flash device datalogs already using the Recon Software.

The two gauges I find MOST important for tuning are fuel pressure and an AFR gauge. To me, everything else is just eye candy.

You really don't need much else and as I already mentioned, with the ability to datalog your truck's performance, you can send those recorded numbers to your tuner and they can adjust as necessary without you ever having to step a foot into a dyno shop.

Its up to you brother.

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
The injectors aren't really necessary but should be considered eventually along with a MAF. I went 11.18 on a stock MAF and stock injectors all day long. Never had a single problem. As a matter of fact, didn't change either of them out until I went built.

If your using the Sniper software, I'd get their MAF. It flows unbelievably well and it is works extremely good with all tuning platforms from my experience.

The pumps are almost a requirement as soon as you start modding over anything else.

HELL, if you buy my MP :)D), I will send you a set of used Walbro 255's that came out of my truck for FREE. They have maybe 4k miles on them.

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
The injectors aren't really necessary but should be considered eventually along with a MAF. I went 11.18 on a stock MAF and stock injectors all day long. Never had a single problem. As a matter of fact, didn't change either of them out until I went built.

If your using the Sniper software, I'd get their MAF. It flows unbelievably well and it is works extremely good with all tuning platforms from my experience.

The pumps are almost a requirement as soon as you start modding over anything else.

HELL, if you buy my MP :)D), I will send you a set of used Walbro 255's that came out of my truck for FREE. They have maybe 4k miles on them.

What are you asking for the MP again?

I'D WIN

Established Member
Without making this thread a classified ad again, check out the link in my sig block brother.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
this may sound retarded but whats a good system to use when datalogging? And how would i send it in? im really new to tuning, all i use on my truck and my friends cars is my Sniper special forces tuner that i got. I know quite a few people use it and if you guys think its capable then what add-ons should i buy for it to get the most, so my tuner can get the best results for me when i need it? oh and yeah the nearest dyno is a 6-7 hour drive to Anchorage but even then most the dynos down there, the three or four that exist I dont know for sure, are very stinjy and i dont think i will ever be able to use them at all no matter how much money i offered, its like the Alaskan way or something to say no to us military up here. Not everyone but a select few really dont like us up here. i think its all the dyno places though! lol

There are 2 dyno's in Anchorage right now. One is owned by local auto school and noone gets on it. I even had a friend taking classes there and he said the instructor was a big Lightning fan, but still not able to use the dyno.

The other is at Hales Technical service. When I just walked in and talked to them about putting mine on the dyno they just totally blew me off, said no way if they didn't build it. However, if you go to one of their "dyno days" anyone with $100 can get on the dyno and make 3 pulls. Thats how I've done mine both times. The last time he even let me datalog, e-mail the log to JJ who tweaked it, then I made another pull. I got three runs in and since noone was waiting I was able to be on the dyno for about an hour. Richard may be a bit odd, but I do not think he is anti-military, I think they just had a couple bad experiences wasting time on the dyno so now it's basically stap on, make your pulls, and if your stuff breaks too bad because he didn't tune it and you were the one in it with your foot on the gas. I'll hopefully have my MP on and be on the dyno again in August. Call me if interested in coming down for a dyno day, and maybe even a track/dyno trip!

also to get into the 11's with the MP do you think i will need 60# injectors and the twin walhbro fuel pumps? what else will i need that you guys know of? or think i should get?

If you're making the power needed to run 11's I think 60's and 255's would be a good investment. As far as getting there on the stock block, maybe some others can offer advice. I'd guess weight reduction, slicks, stall coverter, intake, exhaust, and the usual bolt-ons would all be needed.

Matt

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Well I tore apart my MP I got used today so I could put on a new nose cone to replace the damaged one it came with. Rotor pack looked a bit scarred up so I planned on using another perfect one I have. Sad to say almost no oil in the snout when I took it apart and looks like the rotors were doing their best to chew their way out of the top of the case. Actually it looks more like the missing metal and teflon from the rotor tips welded itself to the case. I tried cleaning it up with a razor blade like Charles told me to do, but there is too much too stuck to the case for that to work. I guess I'll be calling him up tomorrow to see what he reccommends. Anyone know if Steig ports/rebuilds MP's?

Users who are viewing this thread